Toddler Death Law Suit Update

32 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

His statements to police shortly after the death were closer to what was seen on the video. It wasn't until after the family got the attorney did the "...bang on the glass...I didn't know that the window was open..." story materialize.

32 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Anello's initial statement was that he was holding the child outside of the window and he lost his grip.

I remember reading that on a message board, but don't remember it being "official" (if that makes sense).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The video HAS been made public and it's not hard to find.  I've watched it.  

Actually, I would not be surprised if the parents have NOT watched the video.  However, they should have family, friends, or the lawyer or HAS watched it and been able to tell them what it shows.

The lawyer claims that the parents haven't watched it. I agree that someone should have told them the truth...as long as it isn't the lawyer's version of "the truth".

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That's assuming the civil case came to a decision before the criminal trial.  I don't think that was ever going to happen. 

My opinion is that the lawyer convinced the family that a quick "make it go away" settlement would have been reached before the trial got underway. 

Also my opinion(s), if the civil case is thrown out, Anello should take the plea deal. Even if the civil case continues, Anello should take the plea deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My opinion is that the lawyer convinced the family that a quick "make it go away" settlement would have been reached before the trial got underway. 

Also my opinion(s), if the civil case is thrown out, Anello should take the plea deal. Even if the civil case continues, Anello should take the plea deal. 

I agree with both of your points.  The fact that the lawyer (and therefore the family) have "doubled down" (continued their accusations against RCI) even after the video was released makes them look "money hungry" to me.  They're not trying to "prevent another incident".  They want the $$$.

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My understanding, read it in a news story, is the mother is a DA in her home state.  Hopefully this will help the family in making the “right” decisions, like you mention above. 

I have been on RCCL ships with these types of windows numerous times. You can feel the breeze as you could through any open window. You can also hear noise coming up from the ground below. Sorry, as much as I feel sympathy for the family, I lost all respect  for them when they tried to turn things around. 

• Like 4

Not only did he know the window was open (as evidenced by him leaning over it before he picked her up),

but he even held her out the window.. 11 stories high .. Gross Negligence.

Just watch the video.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sabri said:

Not only did he know the window was open (as evidenced by him leaning over it before he picked her up),

but he even held her out the window.. 11 stories high .. Gross Negligence.

Just watch the video.

I watched it.  It's very obvious he leaned out the window before he picked her up.  He knew it was open  since he stuck his head out of it before he put her on the railing.  No defense.  Even though they charged him with negligence, to me it goes beyond that when it's obvious from the video that he stuck his head and shoulders out through the window first.  The family is making a money grab and instead of the grandfather taking full responsibility, he made up a story, as the did the parents.  The parents said it was in a child's play area, which is not true either.  They thought the court of public opinion would help them.  What they didn't count on was how many cameras are on a ship in public spaces.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Price31 said:

The family’s attorney has asked that a judge remove that video as evidence.....having a difficult time feeling bad now. Sad that their attorney would exploit this families tragedy for his personal gain.

Do you have a source for the bolded?  I wonder what grounds he is using.

3 hours ago, Price31 said:

The family’s attorney has asked that a judge remove that video as evidence.....having a difficult time feeling bad now. Sad that their attorney would exploit this families tragedy for his personal gain.

Fairly standard for an attorney to attempt to get damning evidence excluded.  I'm sure he has a team going through case law to find anything they can to get it thrown out.  That doesn't mean he will be successful in getting it excluded.  

9 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

What I want to know is what the heck the grandfather was thinking when he decided to put the little girl out the window at that height from the ground?

My thought...

Chloe runs to the window.  GF goes over also and looks out the window.  GF sees all the sights and sounds.  GF picks Chloe up with "Here Chloe, let me get you a better view" (and it's easier for him to stand vs crouching at her level to see out the window).  

I do not think he had any nefarious intent in picking her up and holding her outside the window.  He simply did not think.  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

Fairly standard for an attorney to attempt to get damning evidence excluded.  I'm sure he has a team going through case law to find anything they can to get it thrown out.  That doesn't mean he will be successful in getting it excluded.  

The thing is....the same attorney showed an altered version of the video to CBS news which was less damning in order to push the false narrative. CBS later admitted that the video that the reporter commented on wasn't accurate. Now that the full video has been shown, the attorney wants it excluded.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

My thought...

Chloe runs to the window.  GF goes over also and looks out the window.  GF sees all the sights and sounds.  GF picks Chloe up with "Here Chloe, let me get you a better view" (and it's easier for him to stand vs crouching at her level to see out the window).  

I do not think he had any nefarious intent in picking her up and holding her outside the window.  He simply did not think.  

exactly. We’ve all done dumb things and looked back and said wow that was stupid. Unfortunately this time had horrible consequences. 

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

My thought...

I agree.  

The child was at the window at floor level touching the glass.  There was no need to lift her higher to touch the glass and have the same view she already had at floor level.  

The glass is tinted and possibly has some sea salt on the outside from being at sea.  The open window offers a nice clear view.  

He knew the window was open.  That was the point of lifting her up to it so she could see better.  Tragic mistake on his part.  

• Like 1

I feel so bad for the grandpa!  Also, this makes me think of a real life story...  when I was little, we lived in a giant farmhouse, with an open stairway up to the second floor, that just had a railing.  My brother would grab me, and hold me by the ankle, over the rail.  So glad he didn’t stop me, as I was struggling!

6 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The thing is....the same attorney showed an altered version of the video to CBS news which was less damning in order to push the false narrative. CBS later admitted that the video that the reporter commented on wasn't accurate. Now that the full video has been shown, the attorney wants it excluded.

I'm sure he'd like it excluded.  I'd like to know what grounds he's using (PP said the lawyer has already asked the judge) to exclude the video.  Unless he thinks (I assume he'd need to prove) RCI manipulated the video (not just editing out key parts)

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I feel so bad for the grandpa!  Also, this makes me think of a real life story...  when I was little, we lived in a giant farmhouse, with an open stairway up to the second floor, that just had a railing.  My brother would grab me, and hold me by the ankle, over the rail.  So glad he didn’t stop me, as I was struggling!

I just want to point out, what we're talking about IS a "real life story". 

• Like 2

I’ve seen people mention in other forums that the step grandfather has suffered enough and should not be prosecuted.  When people take this stance, I think it Is very unfair to the victim.  If he had done this to one of chloes little friends, I’m suffering enough would never come up.  I have no sympathy for the step grandfather now that he has decided it’s not his fault.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

What I want to know is what the heck the grandfather was thinking when he decided to put the little girl out the window at that height from the ground?

People make snap poor decisions all the time, thinking nothing bad will happen. I’m sure he didn’t think he would lose his grip, or the child would squirm out of his hands. The ship was docked, so no additional wind movement as a concern.

The whole situation was an unfortunate mishap, caused by a snap poor decision by the grandfather. 

Takes me back to the first cruise we took 3 of our kids on. We left our youngest, who was 18 months old at the time, back at home with her aunt and uncle. She was a climber, a runner, and LOVED the water. Even with 4 responsible adults in our party, there was no way I was taking a chance that anything bad could happen in a split second. Never regretted that decision. 

• Like 1

The video was indeed made public as i watched it on the 6pm news here in Chicago 2 days ago. He walked up to the window and stood there looking out for 10- 12 seconds. He obviously had a lapse in judgement when he placed the child up there after forgetting he looked out the OPEN window. Maybe the family should of watched the ships video before trying to sue.

• Like 1

To anyone saying the GF has suffered enough (and I'm not doubting he is) it would be quite different if his story was he made a terrible mistake in judgment....not going along with the idea that he was innocent of any blame and it is all Royal's fault for allowing this dangerous situation to occur.

I had believed this was just a terrible terrible accident

Until I saw the video

The man leaned out the window to look at the view and then lifted his granddaughter up to see, and dropped the child out of the window 

It really is that simple

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1