Is it possible to cruise without a drink package?

Annie43

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Sorry, but MANY people drink enough to make the package pay.

That is quite the statement. Pay for what? The retail price? For bottles of water? For wine you can bring on for $10? OJ? Those are all silly reasons to spend that much.

Here's my bold assumption, MANY people would never spend $900 on liquids in 4 months. Sucking down whatever you can at every meal doesn't suddenly make it a solid investment.

29 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

True, but in July I was able to book a balcony on Celebrity Equinox, 7 night, with gratuities, beverage package, WiFi, and $600 OBC.  It was a few dollars cheaper than an inside room on Harmony for the same time period. Only perk was dinner for two in a specialty restaurant and $50 OBC.  Which do you think I chose?😂

Sherri🙂

If you are going to compare pricing you should really compare  Edge to Harmony and see what the price difference is or Equinox to a Voyager class ship. 

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you are going to compare pricing you should really compare  Edge to Harmony and see what the price difference is or Equinox to a Voyager class ship. 

You’re right, not the same class so in that respect I can’t compare but, IMO, I prefer Equinox over the Oasis class so if I can get a cheaper price with all the perks and a balcony, I get excited.😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, SRF said:

I would not justify it on that basis alone, but when on sea days I am $20+ ahead each day, a couple of port days when I am $5 - $10 behind, but still have the convenience of not dealing with receipts is worth it TO ME.   

If it is not worth it to you, that if fine.

100% agree

On 1/17/2020 at 9:03 PM, Annie43 said:

We are going on an 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise (yay!) It has been several years since we last cruised and beverage package prices are crazy — over 1200 dollars for the two of us

Keep checking the prices. If you can secure a deluxe beverage package for around $50 pp/pd ($47 - $53 is my personal sweet spot) , it may be worth it depending your drinking style. Keeping in mind that bottles of water, juices, soda, Premium coffee, etc are included, I can hit my "breakeven" point within 4-5 adult drinks, just drinking beer. Less if I have a few high end cocktails.  Of course, some days I drink more, others I drink less.

I've cruises both with and without the drink package and at the end of the cruise, the cost is about the same give or take $30-$40 one way or the other.  I don't alter my drinking style nor do I feel the need to get hammered every day just to make it worth while. I prefer the convenience of being able to get what I want, where I want and when I want it.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

That is quite the statement. Pay for what? The retail price? For bottles of water? For wine you can bring on for $10? OJ? Those are all silly reasons to spend that much.

Here's my bold assumption, MANY people would never spend $900 on liquids in 4 months. Sucking down whatever you can at every meal doesn't suddenly make it a solid investment.

DUH, pay versus paying ala carte at on board prices.

Yes, maybe they would not drink those drinks and that many without the package.  But there is the freedom of doing what you want, and not spending more than you have to.

Edited by SRF

1 minute ago, Annie43 said:

Thank you so much for all of the thoughtful responses.  Does anyone have a copy of the vintages wine menu with prices?  Also, are tapas available in Vintages on Serenade of the Seas? 

No tapas on Serenade.

10 minutes ago, UK Cruiser2 said:

Always get the package. You only need 6 beers or so over the course of a full day to break even then theres wine,spirits,water etc..

And if you don't like beers?  There is no definite rule. "Always get the package" is poor advice as is "never get the package".  

The one cruise I got the drink package on, while I might have "broke even" (possibly a LITTLE on the 'plus' side), it really wasn't worth it.  I was making sure I purchased enough (including water & OJ) to break even... drinking more on sea days to make up for the port days.  

It comes down to each person's preference.  I do love the argument "Well, I can try different drinks and if I don't like them, just toss them and I'm not wasting money."  But if you don't get enough drinks, guess what... you've wasted money.   

"Is it worth it" is an individual question.  How much do you anticipate drinking?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And if you don't like beers?  There is no definite rule. "Always get the package" is poor advice as is "never get the package".  

The one cruise I got the drink package on, while I might have "broke even" (possibly a LITTLE on the 'plus' side), it really wasn't worth it.  I was making sure I purchased enough (including water & OJ) to break even... drinking more on sea days to make up for the port days.  

It comes down to each person's preference.  I do love the argument "Well, I can try different drinks and if I don't like them, just toss them and I'm not wasting money."  But if you don't get enough drinks, guess what... you've wasted money.   

"Is it worth it" is an individual question.  How much do you anticipate drinking?  

Yes,it is def an individual question. Us having done some 25 cruises we know its worth it for us.

• Like 1

We've only gotten a package once and it's likely to be our last one. Yes, we drank enough to make it worth it and we were able to try many different types of drinks, finding a couple of new favorites along the way. But we normally don't drink that much and while our bar bill in the end might only be $50 to $100 less then what a drink package would have cost it's still less.

13 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I read that post as short hand for "I always get the package."

And the poster is from UK, so speaks some form of English, NOT American. 🙂

As my wife and I are beer drinkers the drink package just doesn't make sense. We will generally stick with draft beer or buy the Fosters oil can that we share, just ask for 2 glasses, that's over 25 oz of beer for $8.50. On my last 3 RC cruises beer cards came out half way through the cruise at $50 for 10 draft beer. You can't beat that when compared to the cost of the package. I wish they would have a separate package just for beer!, then it might work for us.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

They used to have that package but discontinued it. 

too bad its gone, there is not likely enough of us beer drinkers out there. Now if was premium "craft" beer rather than crappy Bud light or Heineken it might be worth it, the wholesale cost for those mass produced draft beers is about 5 cents an ounce tops, so you would think a beer only drink package would be much cheaper.

3 hours ago, ronniemacd said:

too bad its gone, there is not likely enough of us beer drinkers out there. Now if was premium "craft" beer rather than crappy Bud light or Heineken it might be worth it, the wholesale cost for those mass produced draft beers is about 5 cents an ounce tops, so you would think a beer only drink package would be much cheaper.

You have not been in the cruises I have been on.  LOTS of beer drinkers.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:16 PM, SRF said:

I read that post as short hand for "I always get the package."

And the poster is from UK, so speaks some form of English, NOT American. 🙂

SRF,Yes, you are correct. Sorry,my mistake it should have started with I. I wasn't implying that everyone should get the package.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:17 PM, neverbeenhere said:

50+ royal cruises-  no drink packages. No rum runners necessary. 2 bottles of wine, diamond+ lounge, complementary drinks, drinks in port

For those who aren't D or D+ a couple bottles of wine and something to supplement them makes sense. Particularly if you don't drink pop, tuity fruity drinks, specialty coffee or bottled water.  We find that we drink way more than we normally would when we get the drink package.  On the other hand a fifth of scotch, bourbon or one's favorite spirit discreetly packed allows one to have a drink on the balcony before dinner and a glass of wine taken to dinner is all one needs.  If you need more than that you can always buy drinks or an occasional beer on board.

We have cruised many times with Royal Caribbean.  You can bring 2 bottles of wine onboard.  There are drinks of the day that are cheaper.  Boleros has 2 for one often on ships (varies on the drink).  Usually about day 4 (of 7) they sell drink cards.  We have seen them on the FOS, all Oasis class ships, the Anthem, the Explorer, etc.  Its around $80 for 10 drinks (price may vary a small amount for each ship but not much).  You can use it for anything and you can share it. Also, drinking on the islands is way cheaper. We always have something refreshing when we are exploring.  (Added, one of my favorite things by the pool is a virgin Pina Colada. On the Anthem, it was like $7 and it was great).  We didn’t miss the alcohol. We have never gotten off of a ship and spent more than $300 on alcohol ever.  It is VERY doable.  😃

Another thought - you can order liquor to be delivered to your room as a gift.  I have bought drink packages on most of the last 9 RCCL cruises but this next one on Mariner (Friday to Monday) I am going to try this out and bring my wine and see how it goes - probably going to regret it since we are celebrating a 21st bday.  I've done spreadsheets on the last 4 and I have not drank enough to cover the overall costs and also, ended up bringing unopened wine home since I had it for "free" with the package.