Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mabbiez

Traveling to Rome with service dog

Hello!

I will be traveling from the US to Rome with my service dog. We will be boarding the ship in Rome. It’s a transatlantic cruise so we will be back in the US.

Does anyone have any experience will traveling to Rome with their service dog? This is a new experience for me. We have contacted the cruise line and they know about her. We also know we need a vet to sign off on her doggie passport for Europe. Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

This will be the first cruise for my service dog. I’m hoping to take her on a short flight before the trip to Italy to see how to handle her on a plane, but any tips for a longer flight would be good too.

My plan is to do a vlog during the trip to see if I can help others, but as of now I need the help! 😜

Thanks in advance!

FYI - The so called ‘pet passports’ you can purchase in the US are not the UK/EU Pet Passports used in Europe and are not acceptable as a travel document for your dog when traveling in those countries.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Miki_moto

I just took my service dog on a transatlantic cruise from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale in November. You should be aware that Italian law only officially recognizes guide dogs for the blind as service dogs. It’s a good idea to contact any hotels or transportation providers ahead of time to make sure that they will accept your service dog. Italy is so dog friendly that we had no problem bringing my dog on the train and public buses and into restaurants.

Unless you have an EU Pet Passport issued by an EU vet, you will need an EU Health Certificate in English and Italian endorsed by the USDA. The requirements can be found on the APHIS website at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/take-pet-to-foreign-country.

It would be a good idea to take your dog on a short flight to make sure he/she is ok with flying. You don’t want to find out that he/she is terrified of flying on a 10-hour flight. A lot of people don’t give their dogs food or water before a flight – it really depends on the length of the flight and your dog’s habits. I bring a roll up bed for my dog to lie on and she usually sleeps for most of the flight. I also took my dog on a ferry ride before her first cruise to make sure that she was not prone to seasickness.

You can find lots of good information on the Cruising with a Service Dog ….. everything You Ever Wanted to Know thread.