Cruise Critic Community
cruisewiththekids

Northern Lights cruises October

To those who sailed on the Northern Lights cruises this past October, I've seen reports that the second cruise did see the lights, but I'm curious if the first cruise saw them.   

I was on the Oct Sapphire Princess -- saw the NL for 4 hours on the second night in Alta, Norway. Was not aware there was a second cruise.   

There was only one Northern lights cruise this past October. As Las!! noted, the lights were visible on the last night only.

This was due to the weather, which is one of the three factors that have to coincide in order to see the lights. The other two are location, which obviously the ship does, and solar sunspot/coronal activity which is somewhat cyclical and Princess did choose the right days for that. But the sun may or may not comply.

There are many beautiful pictures posted on the rollcall page if you go look at the Sapphire for last October.

Edited by cherylandtk

1 minute ago, cherylandtk said:

There was only one Northern lights cruise this past October. As Las!! noted, the lights were visible on the last night only.

This was due to the weather, which is one of the three factors that have to coincide in order to see the lights. The other two are location, which obviously the ship does, and solar sunspot/coronal activity which is somewhat cyclical and Princess did choose the optimal days for that. But the sun may or may not comply.

There are many beautiful pictures posted on the rollcall page if you go look at the Sapphire for last October.

There are two cruises in October 2020, so I assumed there were also two in 2019.    That explains why I was only able to find trip reports on one sailing.   Debating if the first sailing this year on October 3 is a bit early in the season.

Go to     gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forcast   

All the info on Aurora around the world -- great site.

Last Oct, the forecast had the peek from 10/24 to 10/26 -- we just happened to be in Alta on 10/26.   

For those who went - was it worth it for one night of viewing?

I have been to Norway during the summer (during midnight sun). So I have seen Norway's beauty when it is light out :)

26 minutes ago, LAS!!1414 said:

Go to     gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forcast   

All the info on Aurora around the world -- great site.

Last Oct, the forecast had the peek from 10/24 to 10/26 -- we just happened to be in Alta on 10/26.   

Looks like they only forecast 27 days out.     I guess we just book the cruise and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

For those who went - was it worth it for one night of viewing?

I have been to Norway during the summer (during midnight sun). So I have seen Norway's beauty when it is light out 🙂

The answer to this is probably even more subjective than the answer to “how is the food?”  

For us the answer is yes, but we were fully prepared to NOT see the lights, and to experience a very cold weather cruise.  It also helped that we knew in advance that the naked eye vs. photo differences were dramatic.  It also helped that we purchased and practiced with photo apps and Aurora prediction apps before the cruise.

There was a definite change in overall attitude amongst the passengers on that last night.  From a somewhat subdued ‘well, we knew going in it might not happen and I guess we’ll just have to try again if it doesn’t appear’ to an almost giddy “did ya see them, did ya see them yet?” the last night.

It also helped a great deal to do ones homework in researching tour companies, refund policies and costs.

25 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

The answer to this is probably even more subjective than the answer to “how is the food?”  

For us the answer is yes, but we were fully prepared to NOT see the lights, and to experience a very cold weather cruise.  It also helped that we knew in advance that the naked eye vs. photo differences were dramatic.  It also helped that we purchased and practiced with photo apps and Aurora prediction apps before the cruise.

There was a definite change in overall attitude amongst the passengers on that last night.  From a somewhat subdued ‘well, we knew going in it might not happen and I guess we’ll just have to try again if it doesn’t appear’ to an almost giddy “did ya see them, did ya see them yet?” the last night.

It also helped a great deal to do ones homework in researching tour companies, refund policies and costs.

Thanks. My Norway trip during the summer was super expensive - thankfully I saw great scenery and had great weather. I am not sure if I am willing to chance that much money to not see the Northern Lights.

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

... I am not sure if I am willing to chance that much money to not see the Northern Lights...

Exactly this, in a nutshell.