Average age of solo cruisers

BJs mom

I'm booked for a solo cruise this year to celebrate turning 60. I've been traveling solo for almost 20 years with quite a few solo cruises under my belt. I think cruising solo is a great way to dip your toe into the water (so to speak) of solo travel. There are many opportunities to socialize (or not), there is built-in entertainment, and I've always felt safe and comfortable with the excursions available. At 40, I was on my own for the first time in my life.  With my increasing confidence, I traveled solo to England for 10 days, spent time at resorts in Mexico, took 2 weeks to explore Oahu, and took many trips (plane and driving) around the United States. I have friends that I've known for years because I met them while traveling solo. So, to the OP, MY average age just keeps getting older. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have my 3rd solo cruise booked in a few weeks for a 67 birthday, and another in the Fall (widow).  Our family had cruised frequently for many years when the kids were growing up.  I decided I didn't want to stop having vacations, and cruises are my go-to for the easiest & most comfortable way to travel.  Since I've been to all of the ports already,  now I just enjoy the sun, the ocean, meeting a few people & reading.

One of my kids (early 30s) isn't married and sometimes travels solo.  While he's taken a girlfriend on a cruise,  he actually prefers adventures...such as renting cars & driving around Iceland and Scotland with no itinerary.  He's accompanied me to Ireland and Greece, and cringed about getting on a tour bus.  Different strokes for different folks...LOL.       

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first solo cruise at 40, very mixed age range on that one, from early 20s upwards. My 2 subsequent cruises skewed a bit older but everyone was young at heart! There are people in the studio cabins aren’t necessarily solo, adult kids or a grandparent wanting space from the rest of their family so you won’t necessarily see them at the solo meet-ups or just occasionally. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DanielLL said:

I'm interested in this as well as a late-20s male considering his first solo cruise

From the replies I've gotten, on 7 day or longer there's mostly middle age and older but on 3 to 5 days definitely younger crowd.  But on all cruises  you will find a  mix.

Thanks! The two cruises I've taken were 9 and 14 days, so I was thinking of doing something in that range. But I'm also wondering/aware of it being a different experience solo, so maybe a shorter cruise would be OK. I'd probably want at least a week though to make it worth the flight times.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2020 at 8:42 AM, BJs mom said:

Not that it matters but just curious what ages most solo cruisers are. 

Pat

It is like all cruises depends on the cruise line, itinerary and time of year.  Went on a Princess Cabo cruise in March and the median age was about 70.  I went on a NCL Trans-Atlantic Cruise in April and there were about 50 active solo cruisers and a medium age of 45.  I went on a Celebrity Trans-Pacific Cruise in September and the medium solo age was about 55.

Hi all! 

love this topic and it’s given me some confidence! 

I’m 33 and looking forward to my first solo cruise this October (fingers crossed!) 

I’ve always wanted to try cruising and decided to be brave and book it! Has any one got any tips for a first time solo cruiser?? 

Steve 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Sailorsway said:

Hi all! 

love this topic and it’s given me some confidence! 

I’m 33 and looking forward to my first solo cruise this October (fingers crossed!) 

I’ve always wanted to try cruising and decided to be brave and book it! Has any one got any tips for a first time solo cruiser?? 

Steve 🙂 

Hi Steve, I have been cruising solo since 2003.....it is the only way I sail.  I would suggest seeing if there is a roll

call for your particular cruise.  It is a nice way to chat with others on the same sailing.🙂  Also, if you look at many threads on this forum.  If you click on them and peruse through, you will find many tips about

solo cruising. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/7/2020 at 2:38 AM, PerfectlyPerth said:

51 now but have been solo travelling and solo cruising since I was 15. 

I don't think age is relevant. It's a lifestyle choice.

Each time I take a solo cruise I am older.  I can't control it.

• Like 1

I just retired.

Have done Vegas solo but never cruised solo.

Doing my 1st in July after a week with DH (he only likes to miss a week of golf league/season) PLUS 2 more in August!

Can't wait!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I will be 22 for my first solo cruise in January, I just started solo traveling this summer since no one else my age has the money/desire to do the trips that I want to do.  

Edited by Tyro1