Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cruisen cracker

Great Idea for HAL

Recommended Posts

Because we have to fly either to or from most of our cruises, we both end up with full suitcases, carry-ons and backpacks.  We check the suitcases before going on the ship but have to take the carry-on and backpacks with us when we board due to critical contents.  We usually board HAL cruises around 11 AM and end up toting the luggage around for two to three hours before the cabin is ready.  On a recent Regent (our one and probably only) cruse we really liked the fact that immediately upon boarding we could go to a nearby lounge and temporarily check our items until the cabin was ready.  Only one crew member was required and they handed out a claim check used to reclaim the bags.  It sure made the initial walk around and get to see the ship tour that we usually do a lot easier.  Wouldn't it be great if HAL did the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruisen cracker said:

Because we have to fly either to or from most of our cruises, we both end up with full suitcases, carry-ons and backpacks.  We check the suitcases before going on the ship but have to take the carry-on and backpacks with us when we board due to critical contents.  We usually board HAL cruises around 11 AM and end up toting the luggage around for two to three hours before the cabin is ready.  On a recent Regent (our one and probably only) cruse we really liked the fact that immediately upon boarding we could go to a nearby lounge and temporarily check our items until the cabin was ready.  Only one crew member was required and they handed out a claim check used to reclaim the bags.  It sure made the initial walk around and get to see the ship tour that we usually do a lot easier.  Wouldn't it be great if HAL did the same?

Not sure when you were last on a HAL cruise, but HAL usually boards around 11:30 and all cabins are ready when you board. In the few instances when the cabins are not ready they are shortly after boarding. This has been the norm for many years.

 

 

Edited by richwmn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruisen cracker said:

We usually board HAL cruises around 11 AM and end up toting the luggage around for two to three hours before the cabin is ready.  

 

I’m confused by this post.

 

Boarding usually begins at 11:30 and for a number of years now, cabins have usually been ready  when you board.  No need to lug around carry ons around.

I far prefer HAL’s system.

 

oops, Rich and I were posting at the same time 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never had to wait for the cabin to be ready on a HAL cruise. I have ran into that on other cruise lines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the years that HAL instituted the policy that cabins would be ready by 11:30, I can only remember one time when they weren't ready.

 

Before that, there was usually a designated area where you could drop off your carry-ons and get a claim check.  Those of who stayed in the PS and Neptune Suites could leave our locked carry-ins with the concierges in the Neptune Lounge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree...and, when we couldn't get into our rooms upon boarding, there was a place to store your bags (and Suites used the Neptune Lounge). Not sure what the OP is referring to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tickets for Feb. say board at 1pm

So I would assume if I go any earlier, my room will not be ready.

Its a Neptune suite for our anniversary. I would like to board early enough for lunch in the MDR or Pinnacle but with the time listed of 1 o’clock I’m thinking that will not work. 
I also will have carry on bags I do not want to drag around for a couple hours if I go early and the room isn’t ready.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheJurea said:

The tickets for Feb. say board at 1pm

So I would assume if I go any earlier, my room will not be ready.

Its a Neptune suite for our anniversary. I would like to board early enough for lunch in the MDR or Pinnacle but with the time listed of 1 o’clock I’m thinking that will not work. 
I also will have carry on bags I do not want to drag around for a couple hours if I go early and the room isn’t ready.

 

 

The tickets have said 1pm for as long as I have been cruising. The cabins will be ready, under normal circumstances, by 11:30 when they actually start boarding.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheJurea said:

I would like to board early enough for lunch in the MDR or Pinnacle

 

Just so you know the Pinnacle Grill is not usually open on embarkation day for lunch.

 

MDR is normally available of course 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only once the room was not completely ready for a special reason and we were very very early. We went to our room, greeted the busy stewards, put our hand luggage in a cupboard and left the room for coffee and lunch. No problem. I wish TheJurea a happy cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to correct an earlier statement. I stated that the embarkation time has always been listed as 1pm.

Like at least a few others, I still have the fancy folders HAL used to provide with the boarding documents and I just went back thru the tickets.

From 2000 - 2005, the boarding time was listed at 3pm. If you arrived earlier than that you waited in an upstairs area of the terminal until boarding began. I don't remember what time we checked in.

From 2006 on the boarding time has been listed as 1pm. I'm not sure when I actually boarded each time, but it seems I have generally boarded around noon since then.

Out of all my cruises, even the early ones, I can only remember 1 or 2 that the cabins were not ready when we were allowed to board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I would like to correct an earlier statement. I stated that the embarkation time has always been listed as 1pm.

Like at least a few others, I still have the fancy folders HAL used to provide with the boarding documents and I just went back thru the tickets.

From 2000 - 2005, the boarding time was listed at 3pm. If you arrived earlier than that you waited in an upstairs area of the terminal until boarding began. I don't remember what time we checked in.

From 2006 on the boarding time has been listed as 1pm. I'm not sure when I actually boarded each time, but it seems I have generally boarded around noon since then.

Out of all my cruises, even the early ones, I can only remember 1 or 2 that the cabins were not ready when we were allowed to board.

 

 

That’s intriguing  Rich.  My boarding passes always said 1 pm since 2000. (I honestly can’t remember my earlier cruises.) I have the wallets but not the boarding passes).

Our sailings were to the Baltics and Europe so I don’t know if that makes a difference or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think HAL gives 1 pm instead of 11:30 as the boarding time is simply an effort to reduce the congestion that occurs earlier. A couple hours after they start boarding the lines get shorter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

That’s intriguing  Rich.  My boarding passes always said 1 pm since 2000. (I honestly can’t remember my earlier cruises.) I have the wallets but not the boarding passes).

Our sailings were to the Baltics and Europe so I don’t know if that makes a difference or not?

2000 - 2005 were Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale

2006 - was Alaska out of Seattle

2007 - 2010 were Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity typically doesn’t release rooms until about 1 p.m., with an announcement. So it gets very crowded in the Lido - people find a table, park their bags, and stay there after eating. Don’t recall the MDR being open on embarkation day. So HAL’s system is definitely  better.

 

The X Suite dining room Luminae is open for lunch, though, for a peaceful atmosphere and plenty of space for hand luggage while you eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday 12th January, arrived Port Everglades 10.30, checked in by 11 am onboard 11.25 am. Room was ready when we got there and bags delivered by 12.30.

The system works, so no need to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheJurea said:

The tickets for Feb. say board at 1pm

So I would assume if I go any earlier, my room will not be ready.

Its a Neptune suite for our anniversary. I would like to board early enough for lunch in the MDR or Pinnacle but with the time listed of 1 o’clock I’m thinking that will not work. 
I also will have carry on bags I do not want to drag around for a couple hours if I go early and the room isn’t ready.

 

 

Have you yet sailed HAL?  If so,   why did you not  go your cab in to leave your carry ons and  lock up valuables  What time did you board?  

 

I happen to like HAL's system of  having cab ins  ready  when we  board.  Best system of all the cruise lines I have sailed, IMO   ( It isn't broke and I do not think it needs fixing).  🙂

 

 

 

The fewer places I have  to 'hand it over  and  out of my control, the more I like it.  The fewest chances I might never  see it again, the Better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pinnacle is not open for reservations on embarkation day. 

 

You may choose between Lido and (usually) MDR.

 

There are 'sometimes  circumstances of special, private invitations but that is not ordinary.

 

 

(If you see people lunchin,g there, that  might be how/why.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by sail7seas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richwmn said:

2000 - 2005 were Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale

2006 - was Alaska out of Seattle

2007 - 2010 were Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale

 

 

Maybe a bit later when we sailed from Copenhagen

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom O. said:

I think HAL gives 1 pm instead of 11:30 as the boarding time is simply an effort to reduce the congestion that occurs earlier. A couple hours after they start boarding the lines get shorter.

That would assume a conscious decision on HAL's part. 
I think it more likely to have been neglect. The boarding time was 1:00 PM, then HAL changed it to 11:30. I expect it never occurred to anyone to change the time in the documents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Sunday 12th January, arrived Port Everglades 10.30, checked in by 11 am onboard 11.25 am. Room was ready when we got there and bags delivered by 12.30.

The system works, so no need to fix it.

Don’t temp anyone.
There’s been several things not broke that have been “fixed”. Such as Club Hal, custom sandwiches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...