Cruise Critic Community
vermonter16

Gratuity breakdown

Can you all tell me what the breakdown is for a stateroom attendant in a regular balcony cabin?  Thank you.

18 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

Can you all tell me what the breakdown is for a stateroom attendant in a regular balcony cabin?  Thank you.

What does it matter?  Leave the auto tips on and let Celebity sort it out. 

I never understand why folks need to know "the breakdown" of gratuities.  The cruiseline has taken away all the guess work and done the math for us.  Leave the auto tips in place and tip extra to those you feel went the extra mile for you.  Simple.

So

41 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

Sorry for all the rude and uninformative responses , this is why I'm not posting on here anymore. 

Here is the amounts of the tips, Celebrity doesn't really break it down anymore

• $15.50 per person, per day in standard accommodations
  • $16.00 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms
  • $19.00 per person, per day in suites

Thanks for posting that, Don (and, please come back -- we miss you!)

And, it's obvious that we've all gotten hyper-sensitive about the trolls, who so often cruise by and toss out a 'tipping thread' -- just to sit back and watch the resulting melee. However, this particular OP has been around for a long time (and appears to be a serious poster). So, I think we could maybe give him/her the benefit of the doubt, and just answer their question.

My search of the X website (finally) took me to the information that Don just posted. I too remember a time when X posted the actual breakdown of the daily amount. Now, they just ambiguously say that it is divided among the following: stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff.

OP -- I think that your best bet might be going to the GR desk, once you are onboard -- as I am pretty confident that they would have that specific information. I also like to have that basic gratuity breakdown -- so I can use it as a basis for additional tips for my room steward and dining staff.

1 hour ago, pilot said:

What does it matter?  Leave the auto tips on and let Celebity sort it out. 

That was not the op's question. 👎

Hey guys, it's ok.  I'm onboard right now and didn't want to wait in a long line to get the breakdown. I work in tourism and the service industry myself so I get it.  We just would like to extend our tip to the room steward by a certain percentage (I know it sounds odd) and I totally lost my brain with the new gratuity models.  We do actually just tip extra and so it's the percentages that don't let us blow threw our money.  Though I think we have already done it.

Edited by vermonter16
More explanation

12 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

That was not the op's question. 👎

My point is the OP is not a new poster and has probably followed many tipping threads over 16 years. What I’m saying is if you leave the auto tips on Celebrity can spread them out as they see fit. Not my business how they spread the money. If you want to give more to someone for great extra service, go ahead.  

If you don’t like the auto tips. Take them off. Plenty of other threads discuss this. No need to rehash. 

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

So

Sorry for all the rude and uninformative responses , this is why I'm not posting on here anymore. 

Here is the amounts of the tips, Celebrity doesn't really break it down anymore

• $15.50 per person, per day in standard accommodations
  • $16.00 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms
  • $19.00 per person, per day in suites

Thanks.  No worries.  I work with the public...totally normal.  I tried doing a search with my phone and couldn't get it.  I knew it was out there.  I don't post much year round because I work odd and long hours and...well, I just don't.  Sorry for a repeated thread.  Moderator - didn't mean to cause drama.  Shut the the thread down please unless you think it will benefit others.

1 hour ago, wwcruisers said:

Thanks for posting that, Don (and, please come back -- we miss you!)

@dkjretired I 2nd that request. I always enjoy your posts and appreciate your experience.

This was the breakdown prior to the recent increase.  Should be close. You can get a copy at front desk. 

6635790F-5223-4D82-94F2-E60A6717961E.thumb.jpeg.d9d9c2a2c7e8fe0df96831eae7dbaa9a.jpeg

I am new to cruising,  and considering taking my first cruise vacation this year.  I have to admit I have much to learn.

Re: Gratuities.  I was told by my travel agent, that although all cruise lines automatically add auto gratuities to ones  final bill, the auto gratuities is totally optional.  One can pay the amount of the auto gratuities, add more, add less, or totally remove the auto gratuities by going to the pursuers desk on the last night of cruise.

One question:  can one specifically designate who the gratuities go to?  For example, room attendant, servers, bar tenders, Maitre D’, others?

So, I do not understand the rude comments here.  So,  what are the reasons for all the rude comments?

Sorry to be so ignorant on this topic.  It seems like gratuities, dress codes, and food are hot topics that many cruisers complain about.

Thank you.

Edited by Justalone

15 minutes ago, Justalone said:

I am new to cruising,  and considering taking my first cruise vacation this year.  I have to admit I have much to learn.

Re: Gratuities.  I was told by my travel agent, that although all cruise lines automatically add auto gratuities to ones  final bill, the auto gratuities is totally optional.  One can pay the amount of the auto gratuities, add more, add less, or totally remove the auto gratuities by going to the pursuers desk on the last night of cruise.

One question:  can one specifically designate who the gratuities go to?  For example, room attendant, servers, bar tenders, Maitre D’, others?

So, I do not understand the rude comments here.  So,  what are the reasons for all the rude comments?

Sorry to be so ignorant on this topic.  It seems like gratuities, dress codes, and food are hot topics that many cruisers complain about.

Thank you.

You have got to be kidding!!!!

15 minutes ago, pilot said:

You have got to be kidding!!!!

You could have just answered the posters question. If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all. 

2 hours ago, Justalone said:

No. But you can personally give the staff extra gratuities. 

Sorry. I didn’t mean to come across as “snarky”. 

When I read your comment about going down to guest services the last night to remove the auto tips I thought you were trying to restart another “remove auto tips” thread. Again sorry if that was not your intention. 

I did talk to a TA friend about how your TA told you about removing tips on the last night. She told me she would never suggest or mention doing this to her clients. Right or wrong this is how they get paid. 

Newbies to cruising may not understand the system.  While you can remove the auto tips it isn’t a good idea to for several reasons.  A big one is that doing so places a black mark against the servers and housekeeping staff.  I don’t think that is your intent.

it isn’t feasible to only tip certain servers.  They have to turn those tips over to the top pool.

if you leave the auto tips in place and then add extra cash, the servers can keep the extra.  

8 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

Hey guys, it's ok.  I'm onboard right now and didn't want to wait in a long line to get the breakdown. I work in tourism and the service industry myself so I get it.  

8 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

Thanks.  No worries.  I work with the public...totally normal.  I tried doing a search with my phone and couldn't get it.  I knew it was out there....  

Well, you certainly were gracious to those in this thread who were less than polite to you. Good on ya. You seem like the kind of person who doesn't sweat the small stuff - my kinda guy. 😁

37 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Newbies to cruising may not understand the system.  While you can remove the auto tips it isn’t a good idea to for several reasons.  A big one is that doing so places a black mark against the servers and housekeeping staff.  I don’t think that is your intent.

it isn’t feasible to only tip certain servers.  They have to turn those tips over to the top pool.

if you leave the auto tips in place and then add extra cash, the servers can keep the extra.  

Thank you to all those who chimed in with your helpful responses.   That is what I will do.   Leave the auto gratuities in place  on the final bill,  and let the cruise line deal with how it is distributed to crew.  The daily per diem seems reasonable enough.  But, if I want to recognize extraordinary service, extra cash to specific crew is appropriate.  Correct?  

Thanks again for those who provided positive feedback to my question.

Still lots to learn as a newbie to cruising!

On a thread last year, someone provided a link to the Cruise Critic article that gave a rough breakdown of how gratuities were split--it was very similar to the information given earlier in this thread.  I will always be grateful to whomever posted that, because I had no idea how little cabin stewards received.  We started tipping our cabin steward an additional amount after that.

Anyway, I thought maybe OP wanted to know because they wanted to tip extra and wanted to see which person/group might deserve more based on the gratuity breakdown.

2 minutes ago, Justalone said:

Thank you to all those who chimed in with your helpful responses.   That is what I will do.   Leave the auto gratuities in place  on the final bill,  and let the cruise line deal with how it is distributed to crew.  The daily per diem seems reasonable enough.  But, if I want to recognize extraordinary service, extra cash to specific crew is appropriate.  Correct?  

Thanks again for those who provided positive feedback to my question.

Still lots to learn as a newbie to cruising!

That is correct--you can give cash to any crew member.  If you'd like to tip extra to your cabin steward, you can give cash, or if you have onboard credit, you can go to guest services and request a form for extra tips.  Your cabin steward is the one person on that form you can specify tips for--otherwise it is housekeeping or dining staff in general.

Newcomers also may not be aware of something else they can do to recognize those who have given them extraordinary service.  Partway through the cruise you will receive a form asking if you have any comments. If you name a server and explain what kind of extra steps they have taken to help your cruise be special, they will get extra time off or some other recognition that will be significant for them. It is also helpful as they are working towards promotions and advancement. Then at the end of the cruise when you are home you will receive a survey via email. Again naming a server is very important to their job. So take note of their name tags and write a few words about them.  It means a lot to them.

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Newcomers also may not be aware of something else they can do to recognize those who have given them extraordinary service.  Partway through the cruise you will receive a form asking if you have any comments. If you name a server and explain what kind of extra steps they have taken to help your cruise be special, they will get extra time off or some other recognition that will be significant for them. It is also helpful as they are working towards promotions and advancement. Then at the end of the cruise when you are home you will receive a survey via email. Again naming a server is very important to their job. So take note of their name tags and write a few words about them.  It means a lot to them.

This. And it actually can be more beneficial to them long-term (promotions, raises) than a bit of extra cash at the time. Not that the extra cash is not good/appreciated as well, just that that is only temporary whereas naming them on those surveys or in a follow-up email can have longer lasting benefits.