Advice on Cancelling & Rebooking for Reduced Price

ronandannette

I'm a very experienced at planning and purchasing cruises, but boy, I'm having trouble with this one.  We're booked on Regal Princess for it's first 2020 cruise around the British Isles on May 4.  The prices are astronomical, but apparently that's just how it is for this itinerary.  I booked 6 months ago (refundable deposit) directly with Princess and got gratuities and a modest OBC included.  I always had in mind I could re-price with Princess if the rates dropped but they have not done so.  I'm rather disappointed to see Princess has gone with a 2-tier pricing scheme for the current "Best Sale Ever" - not really much of a sale at all when the price of the perks are added. We're a couple of weeks away from final payment and the base price of the cruise has not gone down on the Princess site, although it is being offered by other sellers (both on-line and local) at substantially less; enough to make losing the pre-paid gratuities and OBC still a net saving of several hundred dollars. 

Cancelling and re-booking through another source seems like a no-brainer. Is there any hidden loophole in Princess policies that would prevent this?  Maybe I should just cancel entirely and wait until the final payment date passes and see if prices come down? Unfortunately, since the May 4th sailing is this year's first, there is no 2020 data to indicate whether or not that will happen.  FWIW, the cabin we would be giving up is nothing special; we'd be just as happy practically anywhere else on the ship.  (It was originally a GTY but we've received the assignment already). I realize none of you have a crystal ball, but has anybody got any ideas on what they would do or have done?  All input welcome - TIA.

Edited by ronandannette
  • Like 1

I called PVP line yesterday to refare a 8/29/20 cruise. My category is waitlisted but PVP support still reduced my fare by 700+ then PVP called and said if I went with nonrefundable deposit she could drop it another 300+ insurance price drop.  Here's why I did NOT go with the 2nd option:

I can refare with PVP and her support up to the week of the cruise if I'm willing to give up the promo. My Majestic Princess cruise has no perks. It's a lowest price with refundable deposit. If I lowered now I would only be able to transfer the deposit and I want to go on this cruise. That's why I booked it. Sounds good but my 3/22/20 cruise was refared 2× in the past 2 weeks and it's 64 days out. I keep watching my 3/29/20 cruise and so far I've got the best price.  It's a crap shoot and I'm willing to take my chances. Are you?

42 minutes ago, ronandannette said:

I'm a very experienced at planning and purchasing cruises, but boy, I'm having trouble with this one.  We're booked on Regal Princess for it's first 2020 cruise around the British Isles on May 4.  The prices are astronomical, but apparently that's just how it is for this itinerary.  I booked 6 months ago (refundable deposit) directly with Princess and got gratuities and a modest OBC included.  I always had in mind I could re-price with Princess if the rates dropped but they have not done so.  I'm rather disappointed to see Princess has gone with a 2-tier pricing scheme for the current "Best Sale Ever" - not really much of a sale at all when the price of the perks are added. We're a couple of weeks away from final payment and the base price of the cruise has not gone down on the Princess site, although it is being offered by other sellers (both on-line and local) at substantially less; enough to make losing the pre-paid gratuities and OBC still a net saving of several hundred dollars. 

Cancelling and re-booking through another source seems like a no-brainer. Is there any hidden loophole in Princess policies that would prevent this?  Maybe I should just cancel entirely and wait until the final payment date passes and see if prices come down? Unfortunately, since the May 4th sailing is this year's first, there is no 2020 data to indicate whether or not that will happen.  FWIW, the cabin we would be giving up is nothing special; we'd be just as happy practically anywhere else on the ship.  (It was originally a GTY but we've received the assignment already). I realize none of you have a crystal ball, but has anybody got any ideas on what they would do or have done?  All input welcome - TIA.

If you have a refundable deposit booking and not happy with the price and see a better deal elsewhere, then why not cancel?

You can add the perks to the price you have if you want and keep the perks and price you were given when you booked.  Drinks, wifi, gratuities can all be added under the Best sale ever to a existing cruise.    I added drinks and wifi for a cruise I booked under 3 For Free. Did not have to rebook and kept all my perks and my fare wish was significantly less the a new booking under BSE.   All you have to do is call Princess.  If you search the forum you will find lots of info.

Edited by franktown
correct
  • Like 1

First I’d call Princess  to see what price drop they will offer. If none, then call a TA. And see what they can offer. Do you have flights booked?  If so, you should put your new booking on hold before cancelling. 

Edited by dog

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I disagree that the prices under the 2 tier system is not a great sale.  The pricing of $40 a day pp to include the beverage package, gratuities and Wifi is an absolute steal, IMO.  

It well may be a good price for those perks, but I don't care for either of them.  I would have preferred a sale on base fares.  Free gratuities for this particular sailing equals over $500/CAD for the two of us, so that's something, but it's part of the fare I already have. 

1 minute ago, ronandannette said:

It well may be a good price for those perks, but I don't care for either of them.  I would have preferred a sale on base fares.  Free gratuities for this particular sailing equals over $500/CAD for the two of us, so that's something, but it's part of the fare I already have. 

You can always ask for a bare bones base fare ... at least you can in the US.  

I don't see why you wouldn't want to look into re-booking.

But, I would shop around a bit and make sure you get the best rate and any other perks offered by a good TA.

Things might be a bit different in Canada.

We are looking at a future cruise, looking for a good TA for that cruise line.

One, who is supposed to be a 'preferred' agency for the line, and has a big online presence (videos on youtube, etc...)  only offered $50.00 pp OBC.

Found another that offered $100.00 pp plus gratuities.

Checking around can make a difference!

• Like 1

I am booked on this same cruise. Sort of. When pricing it, I determined that it would cost me $200 more to add the TA before it. Seems like a no-brainer. Also, air is cheaper going to FLL for the beginning of the cruise.

I had several choices when booking this. One was $800 less with out the perks. Though with gratuities, drinks (even though I don't drink alcohol) and internet - it seemed like a wash.

You would lose air if you booked this and re-pricing it could be higher. I had looked at this cruise late last year and had much cheaper air. Because it is a longer cruise, my final payment was due in December and I couldn't decide by then. 

I would call Princess and ask for barebones prices. There are several rate codes for this cruise with different pricing that you probably would not see online.

Personally - I like the new promo Princess is offering (2-tier) even though I didn't take advantage of it. My sister did and saved quite a bit.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ronandannette said:

We're a couple of weeks away from final payment and the base price of the cruise has not gone down on the Princess site, although it is being offered by other sellers (both on-line and local) at substantially less; enough to make losing the pre-paid gratuities and OBC still a net saving of several hundred dollars. 

Princess often gives agents Flash fares that they don't offer themselves. Maybe that is the difference in pricing that you are seeing. I always book with an agent so I have this many times.

It is also possible that if you book with an agent, it maybe even cheaper since agents are not allowed to advertise discounted rates (they can quote it though).

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I called PVP line yesterday to refare a 8/29/20 cruise. My category is waitlisted but PVP support still reduced my fare by 700+ then PVP called and said if I went with nonrefundable deposit she could drop it another 300+ insurance price drop.  Here's why I did NOT go with the 2nd option:

I can refare with PVP and her support up to the week of the cruise if I'm willing to give up the promo. My Majestic Princess cruise has no perks. It's a lowest price with refundable deposit. If I lowered now I would only be able to transfer the deposit and I want to go on this cruise. That's why I booked it. Sounds good but my 3/22/20 cruise was refared 2× in the past 2 weeks and it's 64 days out. I keep watching my 3/29/20 cruise and so far I've got the best price.  It's a crap shoot and I'm willing to take my chances. Are you?

I’ll bet he finds that super helpful

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

I’ll bet he finds that super helpful

Thought so. As long as he's looking to cancel & rebook look at what a good PVP  an offer vs a TA. I'd rather have a lower cost than OBC

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Thought so. As long as he's looking to cancel & rebook look at what a good PVP  an offer vs a TA. I'd rather have a lower cost than OBC

My TA discounts what Princess offers. The only OBC I get is from group space.

Not all agents give OBC as discounts. Some just discount off of the cost of the cruise (so you don't pay as much upfront).

19 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Can TAs also refare within the 90 day period b4 a cruise without a penalty like PVPs can?

They get the same pricing rules as PVPs do. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Some promos are for new bookings only and applies to PVPs also.

Princess will not undercut travel agents. They would go ballistic if they did. Since most cruises are booked with agents - it would be stupid of Princess to allow PVPs to do one thing and not TAs. Princess needs travel agents.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

2 days ago I thought you could only refare until full pymt date. This is an eye opener 

Live & learn

It depends on how hard your TA wants to make it work for you. Princess pays commissions right after final payment, so if you refare after the FP date Princess “recalls” part of the commission from the agent. (Meaning the agent has to pay it back to Princess.)

Having to return a portion of the commission that had already been paid to the agent Is extra work for the TA. For less money. So many TAs will tell you no refares after final payment. (Also, sometimes they can’t be refared if the pricing is for new bookings only.)