How to pass the time?

kcdd

Help!  We have booked an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver RT on the Volendam leaving August 26.  I am so excited that i check here every day to learn new things. How do I pass the time until we leave? Seven months seems so far away!

I have read books from the library on Alaska cruises.  Searched the internet.  Any books or websites I definitely need to peruse? I guess I need to start a countdown.  It just seems so far away.

43 minutes ago, kcdd said:

Help!  We have booked an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver RT on the Volendam leaving August 26.  I am so excited that i check here every day to learn new things. How do I pass the time until we leave? Seven months seems so far away!

Definitely start researching what you are going to do in each port.  Check out the Alaska forum here on CC for lots of interesting ideas and tips.  To get a taste of Alaska you need to get away from the cruise ship docks.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

Obsess about packing 🙂  Make note of what you may need for clothing, that you don't yet own.  Then haunt the online sales and 2nd hand clothing stores to pick up what you might need.

Decide where you are staying in Vancouver pre-cruise, and what you will do while in Vancouver.  What to see, where to eat....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kcdd said:

I have read books from the library on Alaska cruises.  Searched the internet.  Any books or websites I definitely need to peruse? I guess I need to start a countdown.  It just seems so far away.

Read books and movies set in Alaska (not just guide books). I always try to do this before a trip to a new place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kcdd said:

Booking another cruise in between? 🙂 

• Like 5

You've got 221 days....or

5,304 hours......or

318,240 Minutes.....or

19,094,400seconds

But who's counting????😁

It will be here before you know it!

Edited by HamOp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Wow!  Thanks for taking the time to give me so many suggested areas to check out.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kcdd said:

How do I pass the time until we leave?

Start the planning now. There's ports to research, pre & post cruise touristing to plan.  Some things you might want to book early.

For example, the "big trip" at Skagway is the train ride into the mountains. We looked at that and decided that the excursion was poor value for money, not least as it's staright there and straight back. So, a bit more research found a bus tour going on the same route. Half the price of the ship excursion and it stops several times for photos. I booked that a couple of weeks ago for our cruise in May - just to make sure we werent disappointed.

Then, when  you've done that. Take a break. Go on another holiday. Do something else. If you keep researching from now till August, you'll not only get bored yourself but you'll bore everyone else around you.  Then when  it's nearer the time, start planning again to fill in the gaps.

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, kcdd said:

Wow!  Thanks for taking the time to give me so many suggested areas to check out.  

Here is some for Juneau.  Do do some reading.  It make Alaska come alive for me.

https://museums.alaska.gov/asm/asmhome.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqC7-LrMM9g

Robert Moses tramway Juneau

http://mountrobertstramway.com/

Mendenhall Glacier

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

https://www.travelalaska.com/Destinations/Communities/Juneau.aspx?tab=2#attractions

16 minutes ago, VTcruisenut said:

I have no advice!  We leave February 5th and I am on here constantly, checking my reservation, going over my packing list, and the Roll Call.  It is nerve wrecking!

Jealous!  Enjoy your time and tell us how it was.  

5 hours ago, kcdd said:

Savor the wait. Before you know it the cruise will be over and you will wish you were still waiting for it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, there are lots of things to think about! Watch YouTube tours of your ship and ports, make a list of the stuff you need to pack that you wouldn’t for other trips (like luggage tag holders, insulated travel mugs, magnets, etc.), make door decorations and/or rubber duck tags, plan your meet and greet (or offer to help whomever is planning it). I can fill months with the unnecessary junk mentioned above. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

LOL, HamOp....you have no idea how many times that bug of yours has freaked me out. there must be a back story on that...

Not really, I just like to make people nuts😈

Edited by HamOp
  • Like 1