Scooter questions

cl.klink

I also posted this on the disabled travelers forum, but since most of our cruises are with X, I though I'd post here too.

DW is now limited in ambulation due to medical problems, can walk a bit at home with a cane, but can't walk enough for a cruise anymore, neither for getting around the ship nor for most ports.  She can walk with a cane for for 50-100 feet or so on flat surfaces.  Our last cruise (September 2019) became more than she could handle.  She has worsened.  She has loved cruising, and travel in general,  and I want her to be able to keep going as long as she can, while she still can.  So, I decided to get her a scooter.  I have questions I hope you all can help with by sharing your experiences, opinions, advice.  I apologize for a lot of questions, but here goes.

1.  I know I can rent but I think I want to buy.  I plan to buy a scooter we can fold, but just for my information, how wide are the doorways of most regular staterooms? 

2. I'm planning on a fold-able more light weight scooter (e.g. TravelScoot, Triaxe).  What do you think of those?

3.  How does it go if we take a scooter like this into ports?  Would cabs be OK with us putting it in trunk?  What do you do if you want to pop into a shop or restaurant -- can you bring it in?  I know there are going to be a variety of responses, but I want to know what your experiences have been trying to do these things.  I want to know what to plan.

4.  Can you bring a scooter like this through airport security and to the gate, and then gate check?  Or, should we just have an aiport person transport us by wheelchair (like we've done so far), and send the scooter through as checked baggage?  What have you done and what are your experiences?

5. Similarly, how do we get a scooter like this onto the ship?  Do we just take it on, past security, and go on in?  Do we need to notify the cruise company?

6.  On the ship, if we go to a dinner or the theater etc., what do we do with the scooter?  She can walk a short distance if needed, but if needed, what do we do with the scooter?

7.  I followed earlier threads where people objected to those who leave scooters in hallways, or who bump into others.  This may seem silly of us, but if we behave well, don't make these errors, are we nonetheless risking the scorn of fellow cruisers now?  I don't want DW to feel intimidated by taking this step.  We love cruising in part because we like being a part of the gang at sea -- will we now feel like pariahs?  I'm curious what people have experienced.

Thanks in advance for any responses,

- Joel

I can’t answer all your questions now, but I will soon be cruising with a rented mobility scooter in a non accessible cabin.  Yikes!  As to the restaurants onboard ship, I have seen people driving their scooter to the table and a waiter takes it elsewhere for the duration of the meal and brings it back at the end.

I am renting from Special Needs at Sea and I’ve been impressed with their service so far.  Also very reasonable price wise; $208 for 14 days.

3 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I can’t answer all your questions now, but I will soon be cruising with a rented mobility scooter in a non accessible cabin.  Yikes!  As to the restaurants onboard ship, I have seen people driving their scooter to the table and a waiter takes it elsewhere for the duration of the meal and brings it back at the end.

I am renting from Special Needs at Sea and I’ve been impressed with their service so far.  Also very reasonable price wise; $208 for 14 days.

Thanks.  I looked into them but I was not sure how much space it eats up in the stateroom or how it would be handled if we went into a port.  What do you know about those topics?

- Joel

You can easily search the forum as there is a lot of information here --- You may want to read this thread -

"OK, I called Celebrity's Access Department.  The man I spoke to assured me that the scooter would fit in my 1A non accessible cabin even though the bed is by the bathroom.  I can't picture it myself but if Special Needs At Sea and Celebrity are telling me it would work then I guess I should believe them.  The dimensions of the scooter are 41"x21"x36".  It would seem to me that the scooter would fit through the door of the cabin but as it can't go past the bed it would be stuck in the entrance....making it impossible to get in the bathroom. "

Joel, I’m hobbling blind here...I’ll post my experience and photos of the scooter and the cabin and the contortions we will go through to bypass the behemoth in the cabin to get to the WC.  LOL.  My understanding is that my scooter will just fit through the cabin door and lodge somewhere in front of the WC door, the full length mirror and the foot of the bed.

Its definitely been a learning experience.  I’ve cruised Celebrity many times but only just realized that some cabin doors open out and some in...and some cabin WC doors open towards the corridor and some towards the balcony.  So not all non accessible cabins are the same!!  Obviously if you had enough advance time the best solution would be to book an accessible cabin.  I didn’t have that option.

My understanding re a port is you just drive it down the gangway.  I don’t believe a tender port would be possible.  Luckily I hadn’t planned to leave the ship.

Edited by helen haywood

18 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Joel, I’m hobbling blind here...I’ll post my experience and photos of the scooter and the cabin and the contortions we will go through to bypass the behemoth in the cabin to get to the WC.  LOL.  My understanding is that my scooter will just fit through the cabin door and lodge somewhere in front of the WC door, the full length mirror and the foot of the bed.

Its definitely been a learning experience.  I’ve cruised Celebrity many times but only just realized that some cabin doors open out and some in...and some cabin WC doors open towards the corridor and some towards the balcony.  So not all non accessible cabins are the same!!  Obviously if you had enough advance time the best solution would be to book an accessible cabin.  I didn’t have that option.

My understanding re a port is you just drive it down the gangway.  I don’t believe a tender port would be possible.  Luckily I hadn’t planned to leave the ship.

Thanks.  Have a good cruise!

- Joel

My gut reaction is that before running out and buying a lightweight foldable model, you should take at least one cruise using a rental. That way your DW will have the opportunity to assess whether or not cruising is something she still enjoys while riding a scooter. You might also want to give some thought as to whether she would benefit from a scooter at home, either now our in the not-too-distant future, and if so, would a foldable unit really be the best choice.

I can answer some of your questions as I rented a scooter from SCOOTAROUND  for the last 2 cruises out of Port Canaveral.  My cabin was a Grand Suite on Enchantment and on Harmony thus no issues having the scooter in the cabin.  Drove the scooter all over the ship including restaurants.  As someone posted, waiter will store scooter while you eat.  As posted on Royal Caribbean boards by someone who knows the rules of the sea, it is not legal to park a scooter in the hallway and I did not see a single violation on any of my recent cruises.

I drove my rental scooter off the ship in St. Maarten  and into shops near where we docked.  I was not interested in going downtown.  I also drove scooter off ship in Labadee.

I agree with the suggestion you rent prior to buying to make certain your DW is ok with the scooter.  The scooters I rented could have their speed controlled, however when attempting to go from cabin, I somehow went full speed ahead and into wall on other side of hall.  Fortunately no one was passing by the cabin at the time.  Guess I thought I was Mario in the 500.

Enjoy your cruises and it is wonderful to read your concern for your DW.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I can answer some of your questions as I rented a scooter from SCOOTAROUND  for the last 2 cruises out of Port Canaveral.  My cabin was a Grand Suite on Enchantment and on Harmony thus no issues having the scooter in the cabin.  Drove the scooter all over the ship including restaurants.  As someone posted, waiter will store scooter while you eat.  As posted on Royal Caribbean boards by someone who knows the rules of the sea, it is not legal to park a scooter in the hallway and I did not see a single violation on any of my recent cruises.

I drove my rental scooter off the ship in St. Maarten  and into shops near where we docked.  I was not interested in going downtown.  I also drove scooter off ship in Labadee.

I agree with the suggestion you rent prior to buying to make certain your DW is ok with the scooter.  The scooters I rented could have their speed controlled, however when attempting to go from cabin, I somehow went full speed ahead and into wall on other side of hall.  Fortunately no one was passing by the cabin at the time.  Guess I thought I was Mario in the 500.

Enjoy your cruises and it is wonderful to read your concern for your DW.

Thanks,

-  Joel

My husband purchased a mobility scooter that uses a key fob to automatically fold the scooter to the size of a suit case.  The scooter weighs only 44 lbs.  He used it on an NCL cruise last October and loved it.  It is light weight and does not have a basket to carry items but it serves his purposes.  It was easy to maneuver down the cruise ship hallways and into and out of the room.  If you want the info on the scooter, given me an email link (since as I understand it is against the rules to use brand names or places to purchase items on Cruise Critic).

16 minutes ago, Momofpuppy said:

My husband purchased a mobility scooter that uses a key fob to automatically fold the scooter to the size of a suit case.  The scooter weighs only 44 lbs.  He used it on an NCL cruise last October and loved it.  It is light weight and does not have a basket to carry items but it serves his purposes.  It was easy to maneuver down the cruise ship hallways and into and out of the room.  If you want the info on the scooter, given me an email link (since as I understand it is against the rules to use brand names or places to purchase items on Cruise Critic).

Thanks.

I can't seem to find a way to email you but specific scooter products have been named on this thread, and others.  Give it a try!

- Joel

3 minutes ago, Momofpuppy said:

OK.  EV rider is the brand name, you can find it on Amazon and also he purchased his through QVC.  They have several different scooters, it you look into them make sure it is the one that folds with the key fob.  It cost him. $1999.00

Ahh. Very good.  I saw that one.  Thanks for naming it.  When it's folded, are you able to put it in a trunk of a car?  It seems that with the battery the total package is still fairly heavy.

- Joel

20 hours ago, Momofpuppy said:

Yes.  It fits in the truck of  a car.  My husband can lift it into the car easily.  He also sometimes leaves it in an upright folded position on the floor of the backseat of a car.

Thanks,

- Joel

I purchased a Smartscoot 3 years ago and have traveled and cruised with it many times. It weighs 39 pounds. If you remove the seat you have 2 pieces of about 27 and 12 pounds. It folds. It comes with a rack that attaches to the front that can hold a carryon suitcase. I drive it right up to the door of the plane and the ground crew stows it with the strollers and brings it to the plane door on arrival. I have no issues using it to check in for my cruise. As with airports I don’t have to wait/rely on someone to bring a wheelchair. In a regular celebrity cabin it is small enough to fold and keep under the desk. Or you can leave it in a more open space nearby the cabin and just bring the 4 pound battery into your cabin to charge it. It helps that it looks ‘cool’ for a scooter. 😊. I would say the only issue I have had with it is how many people stop me to ask about it!  You can get more info at Smartscoot.com. If you give them code 6857 you will get a $100 discount.  I hope your wife will not hesitate to get some type of scooter. There is no reason at all that she should miss out on cruising. 

23 hours ago, jasm8449 said:

I purchased a Smartscoot 3 years ago and have traveled and cruised with it many times. It weighs 39 pounds. If you remove the seat you have 2 pieces of about 27 and 12 pounds. It folds. It comes with a rack that attaches to the front that can hold a carryon suitcase. I drive it right up to the door of the plane and the ground crew stows it with the strollers and brings it to the plane door on arrival. I have no issues using it to check in for my cruise. As with airports I don’t have to wait/rely on someone to bring a wheelchair. In a regular celebrity cabin it is small enough to fold and keep under the desk. Or you can leave it in a more open space nearby the cabin and just bring the 4 pound battery into your cabin to charge it. It helps that it looks ‘cool’ for a scooter. 😊. I would say the only issue I have had with it is how many people stop me to ask about it!  You can get more info at Smartscoot.com. If you give them code 6857 you will get a $100 discount.  I hope your wife will not hesitate to get some type of scooter. There is no reason at all that she should miss out on cruising. 

Thanks.  I had not seen this product.  I looked at their website and watched the video.

Let me understand -- when checking it at the gate of an airplane, do you have to break it down into the two parts, or do you leave it intact?

- Joel

My wife has a TravelScoot which weighs 37 pounds and is about the size of a golf bag when folded up.  We've taken it on many trips including an Alaska cruise on the Solstice and it's been wonderful.  Unlike most people, we check the scooter at the counter for no extra charge and then use an airport wheelchair to get to the gate because the wheelchair pushers know all the tricks to getting through security as quickly as possible.  So far, the baggage handlers haven't been able to damage it.  

You will have to carry the battery with you into the passenger compartment.

Travelscoots aren't sold in stores but if you contact the company they will hook you up with a customer in your area who is willing to show you their TravelScoot.  We've done that several times.

8 hours ago, ternstail said:

My wife has a TravelScoot which weighs 37 pounds and is about the size of a golf bag when folded up.  We've taken it on many trips including an Alaska cruise on the Solstice and it's been wonderful.  Unlike most people, we check the scooter at the counter for no extra charge and then use an airport wheelchair to get to the gate because the wheelchair pushers know all the tricks to getting through security as quickly as possible.  So far, the baggage handlers haven't been able to damage it.  

You will have to carry the battery with you into the passenger compartment.

Travelscoots aren't sold in stores but if you contact the company they will hook you up with a customer in your area who is willing to show you their TravelScoot.  We've done that several times.

Thanks. So, you take the battery out, and you can take it through security and on the plane?

- Joel

1 hour ago, cl.klink said:

Thanks. So, you take the battery out, and you can take it through security and on the plane?

- Joel

Yes, lithium ion batteries aren't allowed in cargo holds so we put it in our carryon bag.  We've never had a problem with TSA or the airlines.  Even if you drive the scooter to the door of the plane you have to take the battery out before they load the scooter in the same area where they put baby carriages.  The TS website has a video about getting through airports.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:08 PM, ternstail said:

Yes, lithium ion batteries aren't allowed in cargo holds so we put it in our carryon bag.  We've never had a problem with TSA or the airlines.  Even if you drive the scooter to the door of the plane you have to take the battery out before they load the scooter in the same area where they put baby carriages.  The TS website has a video about getting through airports.

Thanks,

- Joel

My Mom rented a scooter ~15 years ago and it was simply too large for her to maneuver on a cruise ship. She had only ever used a scooter in the Theme parks.

I found a used Travel scoot for sale and she has used that for many cruise and Theme parks. It can go on Tenders, on Tour buses, (they store underneath), in taxis trunks, back seat if necessary. She can fit it in a non HA cabin pretty easily which is why I bought it for her.