Not very "techy"- 100 promo internet minutes

ktcat cruz

Hello! We have 100 minutes from a promo when we booked. We are on a 5 day on the Getaway.

We really only need the minutes to check in our pet sitters, we have a really old dog. Just text message and email. Can anyone advise how it works? Do I access them thru the Norwegian app? I have Verizon and can get the $5/day international plan, but I'd rather use these free minutes first.

Thanks!

Your international plan works when you are in port and not on the ship. 

You do not need the NCL app. 

Put your phone in airplane mode. 

When you are on the ship, you connect to the ship’s Wi-Fi. 

You register your phone (name and birthdate)

You select your plan. 

each time you want to use the Internet, you login, use the internet, logout. It will tell you how many minutes you have left. 

Shipboard WiFi, especially NCL’s crappy product, is not reliable, so if you absolutely must be reachable on board, be sure you have a backup.  Also, shipboard WiFi can be verrrry slow, so those 100 minutes might be used up faster than you think. 

The ship has computers available that you can use as well, can be slow but if you are just doing a quick check on your pup, shouldn't use too many minutes.

Be sure to log off! If you don't, the clock keeps ticking and you can lose all your minutes! Made this mistake last cruise.

Also, Verizon has a cellular at sea texting plan.  While on the ship you can send a text for .50C each and receive them for .05C each.  It is text only, no images.  Although you will definite want to have you data turned off while on the ship, you do have to have "voice on while roaming" selected.  Text goes through that function.  However, just don't answer any phone calls you might get or check andy voicemail.  That's expensive.  Andagain, if you do this, do be sure to have data off.  That can cost a fortune.  

52 minutes ago, ktcat cruz said:

Great, thanks everyone. I did see the internet cafe or whatever and was wondering how that worked.

Look in the daily paper for when that Internet cafe is staffed.  That crew member can walk you through exactly how it all works.  They will even set it up for you.   Once set up, just turn ON your phone's wifi (leave the airplane mode ON).  Then you open up a web browser on your device.  Then I think you have the browser navigate to login.com (it might be logon.com, I forget).  This will present you with a screen telling you how many minutes you have left in your plan.  Then use anything on your phone that uses wifi (apps, email, etc.).  Unless you pay for a plan that supports it, I think NCL blocks things like streaming video apps.  When you are done for that session, return to the web browser and type logout.com (it might be logoff.com).  Important: Make sure you do this logout step, otherwise your minutes keep being used.  After you logout, it presents a page telling you have many minutes you used in that session.  

I had 30 minutes free on my last 5 day cruise and that was enough minutes to check my email and Facebook once a day.  I averaged about 4-7 minutes per session.

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Look in the daily paper for when that Internet cafe is staffed.  That crew member can walk you through exactly how it all works.  They will even set it up for you.   Once set up, just turn ON your phone's wifi (leave the airplane mode ON).  Then you open up a web browser on your device.  Then I think you have the browser navigate to login.com (it might be logon.com, I forget).  This will present you with a screen telling you how many minutes you have left in your plan.  Then use anything on your phone that uses wifi (apps, email, etc.).  Unless you pay for a plan that supports it, I think NCL blocks things like streaming video apps.  When you are done for that session, return to the web browser and type logout.com (it might be logoff.com).  Important: Make sure you do this logout step, otherwise your minutes keep being used.  After you logout, it presents a page telling you have many minutes you used in that session.  

I had 30 minutes free on my last 5 day cruise and that was enough minutes to check my email and Facebook once a day.  I averaged about 4-7 minutes per session.

Thanks for the detail, and your experience. I really only want to check in twice a day to make sure everything at home is ok. There's nothing I can do thousands of miles away, but it's nice to be able to have contact! 

19 hours ago, ktcat cruz said:

Hello! We have 100 minutes from a promo when we booked. We are on a 5 day on the Getaway.

We really only need the minutes to check in our pet sitters, we have a really old dog. Just text message and email. Can anyone advise how it works? Do I access them thru the Norwegian app? I have Verizon and can get the $5/day international plan, but I'd rather use these free minutes first.

Thanks!

step by step:

1) connect to ship's wifi

2) type login.com  from your web browser

3) register your device

4) select the internet plan: there will be options to upgrade your plan for a fee. dont select any of these. just choose your free 100 minutes

5) click on 'go online' button

6) to log off, goto site logout.com. just by going to that site, it will immediately log you off.

you *MUST* goto logout.com else your minutes will keep on being used

note: Internet is usually slow during peak times, even for email. sometimes i get timed out going to cruise critic!

peak times = whenever a majority of cruisers are on board and not asleep.

Edited by fstuff1