Wow I can print luggage labels - but how on earth do you attach them!

lissie

Wow after months the VP is actually now prepared to print my eticket and baggage label. The eticket is  in fact wrong though because it states a cunard rep will meet us at the airport. Not unless they are psychic - as we are flying in several days earlier and neither they not the agent know which flight we're on as we book independently LOL 

However  how do you attach luggage labels printed on a home printer? How does that even work? I see the diagram and I guess  Ican take some cellotape with me - but if its actually raining in Sydney (here 's hoping for Sydnesiders) - they will be ruined in the 300m walk to the port. 

Do they matter or can they be tagged on check in? 

Interesting point about the potential for inkjet-printed luggage labels to smear in the rain. I don't recall that issue being brought up here before.

Some people do put clear packing tape around their labels for extra reinforcement. That would help make them waterproof as a bonus. Others insert the printed tags into plastic luggage tag holders available for purchase. We just staple them as-is to our luggage but take the precaution of using two tags per bag on different handles (just in case one should rip off). I guess we've been lucky not having any seriously rainy embarkation days.

Having your luggage re-tagged at check-in should also be an option. Some passengers don't get cabin assignments until late in the process or receive last-minute upgrades, so there is always the need for some luggage to be tagged at the terminal.

• Like 1

Although I prefer the preprinted labels I usually print some spares at home: 80gsm printer paper folded twice and stapled is at least as strong and secure as the light card used for preprinted labels. Those of us with colour laser printers don't need to worry about ink running, but wrapping labels in clear tape as mentioned by bluemarble would solve any potential inkjet problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kentchris said:

Although I prefer the preprinted labels I usually print some spares at home: 80gsm printer paper folded twice and stapled is at least as strong and secure as the light card used for preprinted labels. Those of us with colour laser printers don't need to worry about ink running, but wrapping labels in clear tape as mentioned by bluemarble would solve any potential inkjet problem. 

Do you mean you got sent some pre-printed labels?  We're flying before the cruise so I can't attach them at home  - so I may just let  them tag the bags at the port. 

12 hours ago, lissie said:

Do you mean you got sent some pre-printed labels?  We're flying before the cruise so I can't attach them at home  - so I may just let  them tag the bags at the port. 

You may receive pre-printed labels in a pre-voyage "Your ocean awaits" brochure sent by Cunard. Those labels will survive a rain storm and are designed to be attached without the need for tape, staples, or separate tag holders. Here's what the Cunard Australia FAQ has to say about that brochure.

(Q) What is a pre cruise mailing, and when is it sent?

(A) A pre-cruise mailing is the documentation that is provided prior to a cruise which includes general information about life on board along with shore excursion information, visa & vaccination information, gift collection & luggage labels.

Luggage Labels

Luggage labels will be included in your pre-cruise mailing if your cabin has been allocated at the time the information is sent (approximately four weeks prior to departure, unless you have opted to create an E-brochure. (If your cabin has been allocated after this information is sent please visit Voyage Personaliser to print your luggage labels).

For guests booked on a Cunard Fare or Early Saver Fare, a posted version of the pre-cruise mailing arrive approximately four weeks prior to departure, unless you have opted to create your own E-Brochure via Voyage Personaliser.

For guests booked on a Late Saver or any other promotional fare, will receive their pre-cruise documentation electronically via Voyage Personaliser

Please note if you have received a Special Fare Quote discount on any fare, your pre-cruise documentation will only be available via Voyage Personaliser

Edited by bluemarble

16 hours ago, lissie said:

Wow after months the VP is actually now prepared to print my eticket and baggage label. The eticket is  in fact wrong though because it states a cunard rep will meet us at the airport. Not unless they are psychic - as we are flying in several days earlier and neither they not the agent know which flight we're on as we book independently LOL 

However  how do you attach luggage labels printed on a home printer? How does that even work? I see the diagram and I guess  Ican take some cellotape with me - but if its actually raining in Sydney (here 's hoping for Sydnesiders) - they will be ruined in the 300m walk to the port. 

Do they matter or can they be tagged on check in? 

11 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

You may receive pre-printed labels in a pre-voyage "Your ocean awaits" brochure sent by Cunard. Those labels will survive a rain storm and are designed to be attached without the need for tape, staples, or separate tag holders. Here's what the Cunard Australia FAQ has to say about that brochure.

(A) A pre-cruise mailing is the documentation that is provided prior to a cruise which includes general information about life on board along with shore excursion information, visa & vaccination information, gift collection & luggage labels.

Luggage Labels

Luggage labels will be included in your pre-cruise mailing if your cabin has been allocated at the time the information is sent (approximately four weeks prior to departure, unless you have opted to create an E-brochure. (If your cabin has been allocated after this information is sent please visit Voyage Personaliser to print your luggage labels).

For guests booked on a Cunard Fare or Early Saver Fare, a posted version of the pre-cruise mailing arrive approximately four weeks prior to departure, unless you have opted to create your own E-Brochure via Voyage Personaliser.

For guests booked on a Late Saver or any other promotional fare, will receive their pre-cruise documentation electronically via Voyage Personaliser

Please note if you have received a Special Fare Quote discount on any fare, your pre-cruise documentation will only be available via Voyage Personaliser

We put wrapping tape on the tags to make them sturdier and waterproof.  We borrow a stapler from the front desk of whatever hotel we’re staying at to then attach the tags on embarkation day ... put the tag around the luggage handle and then staple the ends together a couple of times.  Have yet to lose a tag during embarkation.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

We put wrapping tape on the tags to make them sturdier and waterproof.  We borrow a stapler from the front desk of whatever hotel we’re staying at to then attach the tags on embarkation day ... put the tag around the luggage handle and then staple the ends together a couple of times.  Have yet to lose a tag during embarkation.

That is the way to do it !

Tape on front and on back make it almost indestructible .

• Like 1

If you have an assigned accommodation when the brochure is printed, pre printed labels will be included. I usually put them on the bags just before I check in with Cunard as the airlines can make a mess of them. If I have a guarantee and don't have an assignment, I print the labels out just before I get ready to go. My bags have plastic see through covers so I print one label and fold it around the handle, and put a second one unfolded between the bag and the plastic cover should the one around the handle be torn. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Luggage Labels

Yeah I've no idea what sort of fare we booked - it was just on 90 days so not refundable but we chose a particular cabin so I don't think it was super cheap - but it was thousands cheaper than it had been a couple of months earlier.  I wait with interest to see if anything shows up. 

I want to second the Amazon luggage labels from Highwind. They are so convenient and reusable (So their already reasonable price becomes dirt cheap with reuse)

Note, there are two sizes. The larger one (Princess & HAL) fits all cruise lines, they also offer narrower ones (Royal Caribbean, I think) that are best for Cunard. But either ones are fine.

They're great We'll never go back to boarding day origami or packing tape lamination. They've become a standard Bon Voyage  gift for us and everyone loves them!

xhttps://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holder-Seal-Steel/dp/B01E4SQNLS?ref_=ast_slp_dp&th=1&psc=1

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

I want to second the Amazon luggage labels from Highwind. They are so convenient and reusable (So their already reasonable price becomes dirt cheap with reuse)

Note, there are two sizes. The larger one (Princess & HAL) fits all cruise lines, they also offer narrower ones (Royal Caribbean, I think) that are best for Cunard. But either ones are fine.

They're great We'll never go back to boarding day origami or packing tape lamination. They've become a standard Bon Voyage  gift for us and everyone loves them!

xhttps://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holder-Seal-Steel/dp/B01E4SQNLS?ref_=ast_slp_dp&th=1&psc=1

I've been using them for years and they're great.

• 2 weeks later...

if you have a laminator or access to one you can laminate 4 at a time. Cut to sive and ready to tie on. We take a smalll tape roll and small stapler. Staple together on bag, wrap a few times after stapling with tape. Cheap and works always. take spares too, just in case

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Merrymacs said:

if you have a laminator or access to one you can laminate 4 at a time. Cut to sive and ready to tie on. We take a smalll tape roll and small stapler. Staple together on bag, wrap a few times after stapling with tape. Cheap and works always. take spares too, just in case

This is what we do but we use a hole punch and then put a coloured ribbon thro to help with ID of bags. 

I'm going to raise some hackles here, I'm afraid.  Packing tape is just another form of plastic, and non-recyclable.  Highly convenient and sometimes necessary, definitely; but in this case reusable tag holders sounds better to me, as is waiting to attach the tags at handover. 

I'm in the unenviable position now of being hyperaware of plastic.  I try to use less when I can.  Not judging others, however.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alc13 said:

I'm going to raise some hackles here, I'm afraid.  Packing tape is just another form of plastic, and non-recyclable.  Highly convenient and sometimes necessary, definitely; but in this case reusable tag holders sounds better to me, as is waiting to attach the tags at handover. 

But tag holders are made of plastic too!  I can't get anything from Amazon in time though - have to allow a good month for shipping down under.   

We've managed to get packing down to one bag so I may just go with borrowing a stable gun at check in 

I use sellotape to 'laminate', hole punch them then use a small zip tie to attach. It seems to work quite well. The zip ties don't take up much space in the bag unlike sellotape or a stapler.

We had a tag fall off once (a preprinted tag from the booklet) so we are paranoid about it happening again. Trying to track down the missing bag was not an enjoyable start to a cruise - it had most of our formal wear inside I was envisioning a week of buffet dinners and drinks in the Winter Garden instead of cocktails before heading to the main dining room.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:40 PM, lissie said:

But tag holders are made of plastic too!  I can't get anything from Amazon in time though - have to allow a good month for shipping down under.   

We've managed to get packing down to one bag so I may just go with borrowing a stable gun at check in 

It’s worth mentioning here that by the time you check-in, you will already have handed your bags to the porters for putting through the security screening, so you will need to attach your labels first. Unless of course you plan to travel with just a small carry on, in which case labels aren’t necessary.

In other words, you do not hand in your bags at check-in like you do at an airport.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:39 AM, 2552phxcrzr said:

Yep! Plastic packing tape on both sides but them out ands then stapled into place.