Diamond +....getting bored with itineraries?

3red7s

After 26 plus cruises, we find ourselves getting rather bored.  Anyone else there with us?  Heading out of Baltimore in February on an 8 day since Charleston SC was a port & we have never been there.  Very refreshing.  I am hoping RC continues to add new ports so us seasoned travelers will have something new to look forward to you.  How are the rest of you dealing with this boredom???

• Like 2

Mix it up a bit.  Look at the itineraries at the beginning or end of a ships season, those can be longer or shorter and have different ports.  We can't do the longer transatlantic or transpacific cruises but we can do a coastal before the Alaska season or a short 5 nighter prior to a New England/Canada season.  We also try to book different ships as much as we can, though we seem to find ourselves on Anthem a lot.

We aren't bored, if we get there, we will move on.

• Like 1

If you are in Ohio and driving (presumably) try a different ship or port like Bayonne.  

Other cruise lines from the same home ports may alleviate some boredom but chances are they sail to the same destination ports.  At some point though if your driveable home ports are boring you'll need to look into flying.

• Like 1

You HAVE to get out there and FIND them!

December - Panama Canal

January - 5 night Nassau/Labadee

February - Singapore to Hong Kong

March - Dubai

July - Baltic

December - Australia

January - Odyssey!

There are ways to mix it up! It started for us when we took Rhapsody from Brazil to Barcelona...lots of firsts. Brazil, TA, Canary Islands, etc. Now we're hooked!

Not getting bored yet.  We try to do at least 2 cruises a year however this year it's 4, but who's counting.  We don't choose the ship but departure port and itinerary are the selling features.  We still haven't been to everywhere Royal has sailed.

The best way to beat boredom is to just try new cruise lines or types of vacations.  Try an all Inclusive.  Try an independent vacation.  Try new ships.  Go outside your travel comfort zone.  It’s nice to be cozy and know what you are getting into but it’s also nice to try something new sometimes.  Especially if you are bored with the status quo.

• Like 1

We have decided to spend 2020 cruising out of Baltimore and Bayonne to avoid air for family of 5.  We will hit many of the same ports and we have been to many of them before so we just look a little harder for something to do different at the ports or plan something on board for one of the ports instead of getting off.  One thing we found pretty cool is to look for cooking classes in the ports.  Even if you aren't big on cooking they can be fun to learn to make and eat local food. 

Oh and we took a break from cruising for about 10 years and did all inclusive vacations so we are glad to be back to cruising.

Edited by HOSKI
  • Like 1

We are starting to get bored with the entertainment; which kept us mostly loyal until the last couple of years.  We have started looking at celebrity which with their perk offers a better value for us.   Been on the equinox in June of 2017 and the summit in November 2019.   We also cruised on our first NCL ship a TA on the Encore in Early November 2019.  We still love the oasis class ships but the headliners are repeats so get old for us.  

we are going to start doing less cruises and look for different itineraries 

Edited by maggieq
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 3red7s said:

After 26 plus cruises, we find ourselves getting rather bored.  Anyone else there with us?  Heading out of Baltimore in February on an 8 day since Charleston SC was a port & we have never been there.  Very refreshing.  I am hoping RC continues to add new ports so us seasoned travelers will have something new to look forward to you.  How are the rest of you dealing with this boredom???

Have you been to Bermuda?  Empress will be sailing out of Cape Liberty starting in May - 7 night Bermuda cruises, with overnights in Hamilton and St Georges.

Guess we are just weird....we have done 42 cruises and most of those have been out of Canaveral.  We don’t care where the ship is going as long as we are on it.

We sailed the Freedom 8 times, the Oasis 9 times and have already sailed on the Harmony 4 times.....all out of Canaveral.

To us the ship is always the destination....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 3red7s said:

How many times can you visit the Caribbean at some point everything looks the same, I guess it's time to experience the real world; Europe, Asia, Australia / New Zealand etc.

12 hours ago, 3red7s said:

Wow I feel terrible for you 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Like 1

Yeah, I got bored of the itineraries after about 20 cruises, but we switch between RCI and Celebrity which helps

We have also been looking at going further afield and would try a different line

Something else we have done is added on a period in the departure or arrival country as a bit of land based to change it up a bit. We're actually looking at getting a train to Rome from the UK rather than flying to mix it up for a departure

Don;t take any notice of people questioning your privilege, it is tiresome. you asked a fair question

1 hour ago, shopaholic6 said:

Wow I feel terrible for you 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Is this called for?  Is it helpful to move the conversation along?  

We are bored of the Caribbean at this point; we have been to many of the ports and exhausted many of the things to do.  We are expanding our places to visit adding Panama Canal or Alaska next 

We've been on 28 cruises and have been to a few ports more than 8 times, but we love cruising itself.  If it's a port we're bored with we just stay onboard and enjoy the peace and quiet.  For us, it's about being at sea as much as anything else.  We've mixed it up some.  We did a Carnival cruise this past summer that goes to ports RCI doesn't - HMC, Grand Turk and Freeport (could care less)  and yesterday we booked a Celebrity cruise on Summit to Newport and Bermuda (been there three times, but who cares) for July 2021.  This will be our second time on Celebrity Summit.  Once we made D+, we took our first one as our status translates to Elite on X.  We have two b2b's this year and in May on Adventure, we're going to a port we haven't been to-St John, NB (cancelled on our last NE/CA cruise) and on Harmony this fall, we're going to Costa Maya and Roatan as new ports and have other ports we've been to many times.  Plus we're going to CC for the first time since the changes. There are itineraries that are a little different.  We just love the sea time too.

Edited by BND

I found a cruise on Vision that goes to Dominican Republic and Martinique, 2 ports I’ve never been to, so I booked it.  Panama Canal, full passage, is outstanding and you stop at ports that you rarely visit like Columbia, Guatemala, Panama, etc.  

I personally cruise for the cruise, not the ports, but husband likes to see the world so we’ll continue to cruise.