Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Bgwest

VPN on Princess

I typically use a VPN when accessing the web via an unsecured WiFi. Starbucks, airport, etc. 

I’ve never routed through a VPN while on Princess. 
Is it possible to use a VPN while onboard a Princess ship?
Do they block VPNs?

Good question. I'd like to be able to use ExpressVPN while onboard Sapphire this November/December. It would be good to be able to pay my credit card and utilities securely.

I use my Nord vpn while on Princess without any issues.  

RCL always seems to be a bigger problem as it seems to slow traffic. 

Edited by neverbeenhere

Thanks NBH!!

we're going on Ruby March 8th and I have Nord as well.

No problems using Windscribe VPN on previous Princess cruises. Will use again next month on Sapphire.

I have a personal VPN server running on my home router and leverage OpenVPN on my mobile devices for connecting to my home securely. No issues with using VPN while at sea on Princess. But, as Princess seemingly relies on IP addresses for location purposes, my medallion class app showed “off ship” whenever I had  VPN enabled, thus I could not use all of the app functionality.  I generally toggled VPN on/off depending on what I was up to. 

My Google Fi phone uses their VPN by default. The only issue I ran into was when I was using my Elite minutes, I couldn't logout because MedallionNet uses their own DNS service to assign IP addresses to logout.com.  Once I figured that out I toggled it off when I need to logout.  I'll need to check the location function on the next cruise, I thought they relied on their transponders, but, a combination of IP & responders would make sense. At the college I work at we can track locations based on WiFi access points, When you conect you sign-off on letting us "track" you, more for safety purposes. Let's not even talk about that anymore 🙂

I was on the Regal last year and my vpn worked except to access my Princess at sea account. I had to shut it off for that, but connected it as soon as I was done looking at my folio

29 minutes ago, Baystate said:

I was on the Regal last year and my vpn worked except to access my Princess at sea account. I had to shut it off for that, but connected it as soon as I was done looking at my folio

That makes sense.