Research, research, research...

AndyMichelle

Just watched another 'Rip off Britain... 

This time about drinks packages, not P&O again, but the same issues would arise. 

One chap signed up for the soft drinks package when boarding. He thought the $30 charge was for the whole 14 night cruise, not pppd... Got the shock of his life when he got the bill at the end of the cruise... 

The other case was a couple who didn't want to pay for the drinks package for both of them, so lost their £300 deposit... 

Often, new and old cruisers start their quest on here with ' it might be a silly question'... 

Please ask away as I do, Cruising knowledge and helpfulness on this forum is second to none. 

Look closely at some of the bad reviews, it is often that unrealistic expectations were not met, then every little thing seems to escalate. 

Don't get caught out, do your research and please ask.. 

Andy 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Yes, asking sensible questions is always a good idea. What amazes me, is how some people book a holiday/cruise and then ask questions that really they should have asked prior to booking the holiday.

The sort of question like " I've booked a holiday in Hotel ABC - is it close to the beach?"

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just watched another 'Rip off Britain... 

This time about drinks packages, not P&O again, but the same issues would arise. 

One chap signed up for the soft drinks package when boarding. He thought the $30 charge was for the whole 14 night cruise, not pppd... Got the shock of his life when he got the bill at the end of the cruise... 

The other case was a couple who didn't want to pay for the drinks package for both of them, so lost their £300 deposit... 

Often, new and old cruisers start their quest on here with ' it might be a silly question'... 

Please ask away as I do, Cruising knowledge and helpfulness on this forum is second to none. 

Look closely at some of the bad reviews, it is often that unrealistic expectations were not met, then every little thing seems to escalate. 

Don't get caught out, do your research and please ask.. 

Andy 

I also saw this.  I was astounded that the chap who thought that his $30 package was for the whole cruise had not checked the bill that he signed when he bought the package, he did show the paper slip that he signed so why did he not query it at the time. 

I have more sympathy for the couple who lost their £300 deposit because in my opinion it is harsh to insist that if one person drinks enough to make a package worthwhile then the other person in the cabin has to pay the same amount regardless of whether or not they drink, I would not have cancelled the cruise and lost the deposit, I would have gone on the cruise but would have purchased my drinks as we had them.  We have never bought a package because neither of us are big drinkers, a glass of wine each with dinner, a coke for me and a pint of beer for my husband after the show is our usual level of drinking since neither of us like cocktails or fancy coffees.

As you have said research is vital.

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I also saw this.  I was astounded that the chap who thought that his $30 package was for the whole cruise had not checked the bill that he signed when he bought the package, he did show the paper slip that he signed so why did he not query it at the time. 

I have more sympathy for the couple who lost their £300 deposit because in my opinion it is harsh to insist that if one person drinks enough to make a package worthwhile then the other person in the cabin has to pay the same amount regardless of whether or not they drink, I would not have cancelled the cruise and lost the deposit, I would have gone on the cruise but would have purchased my drinks as we had them.  We have never bought a package because neither of us are big drinkers, a glass of wine each with dinner, a coke for me and a pint of beer for my husband after the show is our usual level of drinking since neither of us like cocktails or fancy coffees.

As you have said research is vital.

I didn't understand why they didn't just payg, must be cheaper than cancelling? 

I get that it might appear unfair, but it could be difficult to police and, it is in the rules and standard practice. 

We don't buy the drinks package because it doesn't work for us as a couple, but it does work for many. 

Andy 

I saw it too.  Unbelievable.

I think the drinks package has to be for everyone in the cabin, or it would be impossible to police, and open to problems.

I always try to research... but I have friends who never research their holidays and say they will find out things when they get there.  They even told me that they think I probably spoil our holidays by knowing too much before I go!!!!!I'm not over the top at all but like to know some bits.

6 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I saw it too.  Unbelievable.

I think the drinks package has to be for everyone in the cabin, or it would be impossible to police, and open to problems.

I always try to research... but I have friends who never research their holidays and say they will find out things when they get there.  They even told me that they think I probably spoil our holidays by knowing too much before I go!!!!!I'm not over the top at all but like to know some bits.

I get the thinking that finding out is all part of the experience, but not when it comes to things that will disappoint you or cost you money. 

We chatted to a lady on our last cruise who went to the 'free pamper session' in the spa and ended up signing up for £550 worth of treatments/products!!!

If she had asked before, we would have all told her what to expect. 

We really need to research in advance... 

Andy 

I watch the odd "Rip off" , did not see that one.

Assuming soft drinks for the whole cruise for 30 dollars is more than just poor/no research, it's "Double DOH" (Simpsons)

It strikes me that it was a bit pedantic to cancel instead of PAYG, or perhaps he is a really big drinker.

A lot of the concerns people have remind me of Tipping Point.

Contestants suffer from poor tactics, poor general knowledge and poor timing. Can't do much about the first 2 but a little research and they would understand the importance of timing. Incidentally, it never ceases to amaze me that most contestant's do not learn by their mistakes.I

Research goes a long way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I get the thinking that finding out is all part of the experience, but not when it comes to things that will disappoint you or cost you money. 

We chatted to a lady on our last cruise who went to the 'free pamper session' in the spa and ended up signing up for £550 worth of treatments/products!!!

If she had asked before, we would have all told her what to expect. 

We really need to research in advance... 

Andy 

I go to Spa tasters sessions but you are never forced to buy treatments or products. I know sometimes it can be hard to say no to the therapists, but you know the cost of the products when you sign for them,  you don't pay for the treatments until after you have had them, so there is time to cancel them 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elaine0138 said:

I go to Spa tasters sessions but you are never forced to buy treatments or products. I know sometimes it can be hard to say no to the therapists, but you know the cost of the products when you sign for them,  you don't pay for the treatments until after you have had them, so there is time to cancel them 

I was talking more about the expectation, rather than the cost. 

I think this lady did manage to cancel, but she felt embarrassed that she fell for the sales pitch. 

Every day there is an option to buy something onboard disguised as a 'wellness' need, we just all need to go into these things with our eyes wide open. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Not a cruise, but in a beautiful sea front hotel in Pafos we heard one very, very angry family ranting that the hotel would not move them to a SV room. They had actually not booked a SV room but a land view and had realised that the £3 a night extra was well worth the stunning view. They were just so cross. The hotel could not move them as it was full and all SV rooms had been filled with people who had paid the extra. Now if they'd read the brochure and looked at the reviews they would have known before they went that the SV was stunning !! Groan

• Like 1

We went on a cruise to the Canary islands and several people were complaining because it wasn t sunshine as soon as we left Southampton! It was february but I think those of us who had checked temperatures for other ports as well as the few we were visiting in the Canaries realised it wouldn t be warm for a few days.Those who hadnt done any research into weather had unrealistic expectations and for me researching all about places and individual ships etc helps me to be prepared and to enjoy the cruise even more.I get excited as soon as I start researching rather than having to wait until I step aboard!

• Like 5

Silly woman. Loose £300 deposit on a 12 night Mediterranean cruise Total cost of £1500 for 2 adults which to be fair I think is a good price for the actual cruise 

these are the prices for paying out of pocket without a drinks package. 

Drink Price
Beer $7.99 (American); $7.25 (Import)
Glass of wine $9.00 - $25.00
Bottled water $2.25
Cocktail $10.00 - 13.00
Hard Cider $7.25 - $7.99
Can of Soda $3.25
Drink of the Day $8.00
Latte $4.25
Bottle of water (500 ml) $3.25

she’s saying that they wanted £580pp for the unlimited drinks. Company agreed she could have a soft drinks at £380. 

all that cos she wants to pay in advance without having a bill at end. I’d have just put the money into a separate account to pay for the drinks at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 2

The man

$30 per person per day for the soft drinks. 

person selling should have been clear though, bloke should have read the package correctly. 

why would anyone think that $60 would give them unlimited soft drinks for 2 weeks. 

if a deal seems to good to be true it usually is. 

wow there’s a bloke from cruise critics! 

he says you need to have on average 5 drinks a day to make it good value. 

I think they should have a drinks card for things. But that’s my opinion for our family. If I liked alcohol that could have been different 

5 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Silly woman. Loose £300 deposit on a 12 night Mediterranean cruise Total cost of £1500 for 2 adults which to be fair I think is a good price for the actual cruise 

these are the prices for paying out of pocket without a drinks package. 

Drink Price
Beer $7.99 (American); $7.25 (Import)
Glass of wine $9.00 - $25.00
Bottled water $2.25
Cocktail $10.00 - 13.00
Hard Cider $7.25 - $7.99
Can of Soda $3.25
Drink of the Day $8.00
Latte $4.25
Bottle of water (500 ml) $3.25

she’s saying that they wanted £580pp for the unlimited drinks. Company agreed she could have a soft drinks at £380. 

all that cos she wants to pay in advance without having a bill at end. I’d have just put the money into a separate account to pay for the drinks at the end of the cruise. 

I thought the cruise price was good, I haven't seen any RC cruises for that price. 

Even if the both had the package, about £2,500 for both all inclusive for 12 nights seems fantastic. 

Andy 

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

I thought the cruise price was good, I haven't seen any RC cruises for that price. 

Even if the both had the package, about £2,500 for both all inclusive for 12 nights seems fantastic. 

Andy 

that’s what I thought. And she said she would hardly drink. She’s have still saved money if only he had drunk probably about the same as the drinks package for just that one person. 

• Like 1

I remember on one cruise having a gentlemen's hot shave for about £35 and it was found that I had very dry skin.  It was so dry that I needed a tube of moisturiser which I signed for.  After close inspection I discovered the tube was £50. You live and learn.

Regards John

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, john watson said:

I remember on one cruise having a gentlemen's hot shave for about £35 and it was found that I had very dry skin.  It was so dry that I needed a tube of moisturiser which I signed for.  After close inspection I discovered the tube was £50. You live and learn.

Regards John

yep there’s always gonna be one thing. 
mine was I bought a Christmas present and unknown to me in the small print it said will take x amount a month until cancelled. Took me a few months. Was fuming. Unfortunately was very young 18 and didn’t have much of a clue back then. 

even now some things can be a minefield even though we are older. 

*andy you’ve started this now I’m watching one about travel insurance. I’m gonna have nightmares about these things*

• Haha 1

I always thing of cruise ship spa salons as a shakedown joint.  The most expensive item being the free assessment.  Your wife will always need a multitude of treatments following this and the cost might be around £800.  They do sometimes throw up a bit of amusement.  As I walked past a room on QM2 the  I overheard the health adviser said "You may have just had a bowl of muesli for your breakfast - but was it organic?"  I was thinking why come on a cruise and not have all the fine dining but try to eat like a hamster.

Lol John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, john watson said:

I always thing of cruise ship spa salons as a shakedown joint.  The most expensive item being the free assessment.  Your wife will always need a multitude of treatments following this and the cost might be around £800.  They do sometimes throw up a bit of amusement.  As I walked past a room on QM2 the  I overheard the health adviser said "You may have just had a bowl of muesli for your breakfast - but was it organic?"  I was thinking why come on a cruise and not have all the fine dining but try to eat like a hamster.

Lol John

I was giggling to myself reading the Horizon one day. 

I could have my wrinkles removed, posture sorted, digestion improved and feet repaired, all in free seminars in one day... 

I could come back a new man without a mention that it would cost me a penny... 😊

Andy 

11 hours ago, john watson said:

Lol John

Don't deter others from using the spa John, the more money the cruise lines make on these extras, the less need for them to increase the base price for us.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I was giggling to myself reading the Horizon one day. 

I could have my wrinkles removed, posture sorted, digestion improved and feet repaired, all in free seminars in one day... 

I could come back a new man without a mention that it would cost me a penny... 😊

Andy 

I remember having a discussion with a cruise director about how little there was to do during the day and pointing out to him that if you removed all the thinly veiled sales pitches (which is exactly what these seminars are) then not much was left. To his credit the entertainment offering improved.

As an exercise try taking a highlighter pen to the Horizen and highlight these sales pitches in one colour and the paid for events eg wine tasting in another colour and then look at just what is left. 

I no longer go to the Spa on P&O and RCI as the therapists spend most of the time trying to sell you stuff which I just find annoying. You’ve just had a nice relaxing massage and are there wrapped in a fluffy towel and the hard sell starts! Facials are even worse, I don’t go to a spa to be told I have greasy/ dry / spotty/ wrinkly / old/ blotchy etc etc skin and that these 3 creams just £100 each will fix it magically. Johns description of the spa as a shake down joint is right on the mark 😀.

Celebrity spa staff are slightly more subtle about selling and back off if you are not interested and to be fair I have never found Fred Olsen spa staff doing the hard sell either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Don't deter others from using the spa John, the more money the cruise lines make on these extras, the less need for them to increase the base price for us.:classic_smile:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I always thought the Spa therapists worked independently of P&O, and the profit from the sales of these magic elixirs went to the Spa operator (plus commission to the therapists) rather than to P&O itself.