Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
AndyMichelle

Research, research, research...

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I always thought the Spa therapists worked independently of P&O, and the profit from the sales of these magic elixirs went to the Spa operator (plus commission to the therapists) rather than to P&O itself.

I think a lot of them are employed by Steiner at Sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I always thought the Spa therapists worked independently of P&O, and the profit from the sales of these magic elixirs went to the Spa operator (plus commission to the therapists) rather than to P&O itself.

Maybe but I guess that what P&O charge them will be based on the sales they achieve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I always thought the Spa therapists worked independently of P&O, and the profit from the sales of these magic elixirs went to the Spa operator (plus commission to the therapists) rather than to P&O itself.

That is my understanding the same as the shop staff who are also working for independent operators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I really shouldn’t watch programs like this I end up shouting at the tv

It is frustrating to watch. 

A lot of the things are hardly 'Rip off' and  completely legal, it just requires a bit of common sense or enough sense to understand what you are buying. 

The people on the program do not come across as idiots, just a bit too trusting. 

Hence my point, 'research'. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is supposed to be a code of conduct but we have met people who have been ripped of, especially some of the old dears, fancy selling face serums to 80 odd year olds. On the other hand some people do need protecting from themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sense/common-sense certainly plays a big part I think.  Also, I think the many and varied ways of selling cruises now adds another dimension.  Time was when almost everyone sat down, face-to-face with a Travel Agent and booked at the Agents.  Now, many book on-line or via shopping channels on TV and it is much more complicated.  Look at the P&O website - the latest incarnation is far from simple and trying to work out exactly what you are getting is not always easy - particularly if you have not sailed with P&O or been a cruise before.  That's where a decent cruise specialist is a real bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Britboys said:

That's where a decent cruise specialist is a real bonus.

Totally agree. The number of questions that are asked on a well known social media forum about dining options,  cabin types etc, AFTER booking a cruise is worrying. Many of those booking have done so online, and are unaware of the differences between booking a standard hotel type holiday,  and the nuances of booking a cruise.

I also don't understand those who ask "I've booked cabin A123 - is it any good?". Why not ask before booking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

It is frustrating to watch. 

A lot of the things are hardly 'Rip off' and  completely legal, it just requires a bit of common sense or enough sense to understand what you are buying. 

The people on the program do not come across as idiots, just a bit too trusting. 

Hence my point, 'research'. 

Andy 

 

Frustrating is exactly the right word, my wife and I are constantly saying "Yes, but..." whilst watching it. So many of the cases are based on assumptions by the "victims". Do your research and know what to expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree. The number of questions that are asked on a well known social media forum about dining options,  cabin types etc, AFTER booking a cruise is worrying. Many of those booking have done so online, and are unaware of the differences between booking a standard hotel type holiday,  and the nuances of booking a cruise.

I also don't understand those who ask "I've booked cabin A123 - is it any good?". Why not ask before booking? 

 

You've just got to laugh at some of the questions on social media many of which could be answered by a quick check of the terms and conditions or even just by searching online. Presumably most of the posters just can't be bothered to research for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DamianG said:

 

You've just got to laugh at some of the questions on social media many of which could be answered by a quick check of the terms and conditions or even just by searching online. Presumably most of the posters just can't be bothered to research for themselves.

It is an easy mistake to make though. 

We booked our first cruise on a whim and trusted the High Street ta to guide us. 

It all worked out well in the end, but we weren't even aware we had booked an obstructed view balcony... 

We had a great time and got addicted, but it did make me more aware to seek out specialists and ask questions. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree. The number of questions that are asked on a well known social media forum about dining options,  cabin types etc, AFTER booking a cruise is worrying. Many of those booking have done so online, and are unaware of the differences between booking a standard hotel type holiday,  and the nuances of booking a cruise.

I also don't understand those who ask "I've booked cabin A123 - is it any good?". Why not ask before booking? 

 
this is what I ask ask pay saver and it’s allocated when we get there or sometimes like this year as we had problems they told me already where we would be. 
 

I also find asking real people on here who cruise often is better than agents directly as you often get more honesty from people rather than someone who’s doing a job 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree. The number of questions that are asked on a well known social media forum about dining options,  cabin types etc, AFTER booking a cruise is worrying. Many of those booking have done so online, and are unaware of the differences between booking a standard hotel type holiday,  and the nuances of booking a cruise.

I also don't understand those who ask "I've booked cabin A123 - is it any good?". Why not ask before booking? 

I have just removed myself from a FB cruise page becoz its the same questions every day, nobody can be bothered to use the search facility! and agree its amazing how many people seem to book a cruise and know nothing of what they have booked quite literally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I have just removed myself from a FB cruise page becoz its the same questions every day, nobody can be bothered to use the search facility! and agree its amazing how many people seem to book a cruise and know nothing of what they have booked quite literally. 

The way things are marketed and aimed at new cruisers does make hindsight a wonderful thing... 

We had an idea that we might like to try a cruise, popped in to our local ta for some advice and before we knew it, we had selected a cruise and cabin as she needed to do this to get an accurate price, and then had to make a decision there and then if we wanted that deal... 

As I said earlier, all was well, but we came out and THEN had to do our research.

So I have every sympathy for people who need to ask the basic questions as I was one of them... 

It taught me a lesson though... Research, research, research... 

Andy 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AndyMichelle said:

As I said earlier, all was well, but we came out and THEN had to do our research.

So I have every sympathy for people who need to ask the basic questions as I was one of them... 

It taught me a lesson though... Research, research, research... 

Andy 

 

 

I was different in that i had done 6 yes six years of research before i could convince my DH to even go on a cruise so i was well prepared!! but thats me i research everything, you should have been in on the cross exam i gave my spine surgeon when i had my back rewired! 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The way things are marketed and aimed at new cruisers does make hindsight a wonderful thing... 

We had an idea that we might like to try a cruise, popped in to our local ta for some advice and before we knew it, we had selected a cruise and cabin as she needed to do this to get an accurate price, and then had to make a decision there and then if we wanted that deal... 

As I said earlier, all was well, but we came out and THEN had to do our research.

So I have every sympathy for people who need to ask the basic questions as I was one of them... 

It taught me a lesson though... Research, research, research... 

Andy 

I feel similar to you Andy.The first time we booked a cruise we booked through a high street  TA.Its only when we got onboard did we realise there are so many options and it was only when a member of Cruise Critic invited us to join this Forum that we realised how little we knew.I have always been grateful to any advice given on here 🙂

 

 

Edited by ann141

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DamianG said:

 

You've just got to laugh at some of the questions on social media many of which could be answered by a quick check of the terms and conditions or even just by searching online. Presumably most of the posters just can't be bothered to research for themselves.

 

Actually I wholeheartedly agree with Damian people are extremely lazy and can't be bothered to read anything. We live in a society where everyone expects others to do everything. We have a holiday rental and the questions we get asked are just plain ridiculous.  For example is there a barbecue there is a picture on the advert, what time can we arrive and leave clearly stated on the advert, yesterday's was hilarious could we have some pictures of the living room there are 5 pictures already of the living room so we just said .

On our Last cruise a woman arrived in the library moaning she wasn't going to pay for the shuttle bus here we go I thought we would all book saver fare wouldn't we if we got the same perks .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beachmad123 said:

 

Actually I wholeheartedly agree with Damian people are extremely lazy and can't be bothered to read anything. We live in a society where everyone expects others to do everything. We have a holiday rental and the questions we get asked are just plain ridiculous.  For example is there a barbecue there is a picture on the advert, what time can we arrive and leave clearly stated on the advert, yesterday's was hilarious could we have some pictures of the living room there are 5 pictures already of the living room so we just said .

On our Last cruise a woman arrived in the library moaning she wasn't going to pay for the shuttle bus here we go I thought we would all book saver fare wouldn't we if we got the same perks .

I do agree, thats why I started the thread, but then realised it happened to me..

Not all things are as clear as your ad, especially with the way P&O market them. The answers are there, but you do have to hunt a bit for them. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone minds giving advice - after all, that is what this forum is all. Even questions like "what is good to see in port ABC ?" are reasonable, because in a way, the question is asking for subjective advice.

It's questions posted that require a factual answer, that is easy to find, that I find a little annoying eg "How much is the drinks package on P&O?" Just putting the same question into Google will give you an instant answer,  plus you will get all the relevant terms and conditions.

I know people will say that I can scroll past such questions. However,  I worry that we are encouraging people to rely to much on boards such as these, rather than using their own initiative to find out the information for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't think anyone minds giving advice - after all, that is what this forum is all. Even questions like "what is good to see in port ABC ?" are reasonable, because in a way, the question is asking for subjective advice.

It's questions posted that require a factual answer, that is easy to find, that I find a little annoying eg "How much is the drinks package on P&O?" Just putting the same question into Google will give you an instant answer,  plus you will get all the relevant terms and conditions.

I know people will say that I can scroll past such questions. However,  I worry that we are encouraging people to rely to much on boards such as these, rather than using their own initiative to find out the information for themselves.

As Vampiress88 mentioned earlier, a personal perspective is often preferred. 

From P&O you will get the sales line with it being made to sound as attractive as possible... On here, you will get personal experiences, good and bad. 

You are correct, but if people feel they need to ask questions on here, I for one am happy to answer them if I can. 

I will also continue to ask questions as I trust the knowledge and helpfulness this forum gives. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sitting reading on the prom deck on Ventura, when I noticed a lady and man walk past. Even though I didn't have my glasses on straight away I recognised the lady as being from our village.  When talking to them, they had booked through a local Ta, who clearly did not explain things to them. They must have booked saver and said that they had been allocated an 8.30 sitting for their meals and that it was too late for them. They had to pay separate for their coach travel (which would have been about £120 each) and even though had left from the same place as us, were on a different coach. This coach had loads of pick up on the way down and I think that she said they had to change at one point, while ours only had two more pickups. Seeing them later on in the cruise they mentioned that they had to pay for the shuttle buses. So clearly the TA had not told them the benefits of booking select. The TA probably didn't even know this information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emam said:

I was sitting reading on the prom deck on Ventura, when I noticed a lady and man walk past. Even though I didn't have my glasses on straight away I recognised the lady as being from our village.  When talking to them, they had booked through a local Ta, who clearly did not explain things to them. They must have booked saver and said that they had been allocated an 8.30 sitting for their meals and that it was too late for them. They had to pay separate for their coach travel (which would have been about £120 each) and even though had left from the same place as us, were on a different coach. This coach had loads of pick up on the way down and I think that she said they had to change at one point, while ours only had two more pickups. Seeing them later on in the cruise they mentioned that they had to pay for the shuttle buses. So clearly the TA had not told them the benefits of booking select. The TA probably didn't even know this information

That sort of mirrors our first experience, no options were explained to us. 

Of course the information is there, but sometimes in life you need a little point in the right direction. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

As Vampiress88 mentioned earlier, a personal perspective is often preferred. 

From P&O you will get the sales line with it being made to sound as attractive as possible... On here, you will get personal experiences, good and bad. 

You are correct, but if people feel they need to ask questions on here, I for one am happy to answer them if I can. 

I will also continue to ask questions as I trust the knowledge and helpfulness this forum gives. 

Andy 

Andy - totally agree about the personal touch. To be fair,  the vast majority of questions on this forum are totally valid. As someone else has already commented, it's the other social media site that seems to gather the " simplistic" questions,  which are often answered by a cut and paste from the P&O site, that the op could have accessed in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Andy - totally agree about the personal touch. To be fair,  the vast majority of questions on this forum are totally valid. As someone else has already commented, it's the other social media site that seems to gather the " simplistic" questions,  which are often answered by a cut and paste from the P&O site, that the op could have accessed in the first place.


people also post on here for opinions too. I know some of my posts I could definitely find out the information by google but usually that brings up threads from other sites from 10 years ago. 
 

I usually ask as I like to know what other people’s experiences have been regarding ports or taking food on board etc. 
I can sit and google Tenerife all day but I’m not necessarily going to get the information from google that I would do taking to someone who has been. 
 

it would be a very boring forum if we all googled our questions. 
 

google is not a brilliant conversationalist 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think P&O is particularly difficult to book, regarding select fare, saver fare etc.  I couldn't make head or tail of it, what should I book?  The agent, not my usual one, explained it all very clearly to me and I decided select was for me.  Was glad I spoke to someone and not just booked online.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I do agree, thats why I started the thread, but then realised it happened to me..

Not all things are as clear as your ad, especially with the way P&O market them. The answers are there, but you do have to hunt a bit for them. 

Andy 

Its true it's happened to me but normally when its pointed out I don't argue I just apologize for being so stupid and not reading things properly.  

However I will concide that I've got my doubts about what TA explain to customers ie saver or select fare . The woman in the library who was complaining about  paying for shuttle buses said I will be talking to my TA but it's not Pando fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...