Officers and Crew of the Cunard Line

berry22192

Beginning in 1982, Captain Doug Ridley had held "non bridge" titles, including EXECUTIVE CAPTAIN - QE-2 and the Ship's GENERAL MANAGER (QE-2).

During this time, some of his duties were in the office, and other times were aboard the ship. It is my understanding that in this capacity, he sailed to the Falklands while Captains Jackson and Hutcheson were the actual "masters".

For the December 1-15 1989 NY to San Diego cruise, he was called abaoard from ashore, to fill in for the late Captain Alan Charles Bennell, who had been diagnosed with a devadating Illness. He held the title of COMMODORE at the time. I am told that this was not the only time that he was back "in uniform" although it was an infrequent occurance.

He was also aboard (as a guest, however in full "dress" and met the Queen and Prince Phillip 6 months later in July 1990. I am not sure but he may have been fully retired by that time.

I believe he is the second American officer in Company history... Or at least, the second American deck officer. (The first, as I recall, left the Company decades ago.)

Just a clarification...

Yesterday I got an e-mail from a friend pointing out that the "first American officer" actually got his US citizenship after he was already serving with Cunard, by marrying a US citizen. This makes "our" American the first American officer ever hired by the Company.

I was not aware of this previously and thought it was worth mentioning "for the record" if you will.

Archived