Shore Excursions in Maui and Kauai

allaboutjuanita

We will be sailing on NCL Pride of America in August. My group is very interested in Luau’s in Maui and Kauai. My question is, are there any companies at or near the port that offer shore excursions which include luau’s? We are trying to decide if we should purchase an excursion from the cruiseline or wait to see what is offered at the port. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. 

8 hours ago, allaboutjuanita said:

We are trying to decide if we should purchase an excursion from the cruiseline or wait to see what is offered at the port.  

As to Maui. we do not believe NCL offers a luau excursion here.  Since luaus are very popular in Hawaii, it would be wise to make your own reservations well in advance - and arrange your own transportation on Maui.  You will not find groups of vendors hanging around at the harbor as, for instance, is seen in the Caribbean.   Do note that there are Hawaiian luaus and Polynesian ones.  Hawaiian is of the islands here and is softer.  Polynesian is the islands of Polynesia and often ended with a fire dance.  No matter what type you choose, it will be on the expensive side.  Still, it is a unique and interesting experience you should try if possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, allaboutjuanita said:

My group is very interested in Luau’s in Maui and Kauai.

The other thing to keep in mind is while no Luau is exactly the same (and some are better than others), they are all fairly similar in the context of spending multiple evenings watching 2 of them. As the previous poster said, some are Hawaiian (Old Lahaina Luau) and some are more generally Polynesian (Drums of the Pacific on Kaanapali). Also the food menu at most Luaus tends to be very similar and greatly varies in quality. 

Having been to a bunch of them over the years I would pick one of them and not go to a second one in the span of a 7 day cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maui is an overnight stay so have you considered renting a car?  I think that’s the best way to experience Maui for 2 days including going to a luau as long as someone is willing to be the designated driver.  As stated Wailea is closer however I’d prefer the Hawaiian performance at the Old Lahaina Luau as my first choice.

SpeediShuttle (https://www.speedishuttle.com) is $141 roundtrip for 4 passengers but Uber/Lyft might be a less expensive option.

I’ve read about the Smith’s Luau on Kauai being an option & here’s their statement about their luau for NCL passengers.

https://www.smithskauai.com/garden-luau/

NCL – Pride of America Guests

Your ship is usually scheduled to overnight on Kauai on Thursday night. We operate our family’s luau on “ship nights” from February through October. 

Transportation from Pride of America is available for the luau at a cost of $18 per person. Choose “Pride of America” when booking your reservation to make the transportation option available. Taxi fare is approximately $25 - $30 each way.

• Thanks 1