Travel insurance- cruise cover

Vampiress88

We have an annual insurance policy through hubby’s work. Last year definitely covered our cruise, but thankfully we have never needed insurance on any of our holidays. 

This year the annual insurance has changed companies, nearly doubled in price but seemed like a good policy. 
Hubby has said that it includes cruise but he will be getting the documents to confirm shortly as it’s a new policy only just started beginning of year. 

we are on the ventura in April. 

since I watched a program about travel insurance I am now panicking slightly that I might have to take out another one if this one doesn’t include a crusie. 

as we would have excess anyway missing ports or cabin confinement wouldn’t really bother us enough to claim I wouldn’t think. 

what I do what to know is will the insurance have to say that it covers cruises to get us either the doctor, air lifted off, hospital, accommodation and back to the uk etc or are those as standard on the policies. I know it covers 10million medical expenses etc but does that mean it will also cover the cruise. 

Vampiress, its worth getting confirmation from the insurance company, but unless it specifically excludes cruise cover then I think you should be OK.  Our policy does not state cruise cover, but I have assurances from the agent that we are fully covered for any cruise related claims.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Vampiress, its worth getting confirmation from the insurance company, but unless it specifically excludes cruise cover then I think you should be OK.  Our policy does not state cruise cover, but I have assurances from the agent that we are fully covered for any cruise related claims.

it’s cos the policy in his name so he deals with it and I’m not sure if he knows what he’s doing. Not like I do but would probably check more than him. He’s gonna get it for me this week. 

it’s all andy’s fault. He made me watch rip off Britain and it’s made me panic 

If the policy covers cruises it should usually covers emergencies, but the paperwork should show what is covered. The 'usual' exclusions are for missed ports, cabin confinements and the like.

Also very important that you fully declare all pre medical history.

When you have seen the documents if you are still unhappy can you not get him to ring and you listen in either by speaker on the phone or an extension. Then at least you can know what was said and you might get into the conversation if you are named on the policy or give your husband the list of questions he has to ask!

6 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

since I watched a program about travel insurance I am now panicking slightly that I might have to take out another one if this one doesn’t include a crusie. 

as we would have excess anyway missing ports or cabin confinement wouldn’t really bother us enough to claim I wouldn’t think. 

what I do what to know is will the insurance have to say that it covers cruises to get us either the doctor, air lifted off, hospital, accommodation and back to the uk etc or are those as standard on the policies. I know it covers 10million medical expenses etc but does that mean it will also cover the cruise. 

If cruises aren't specifically excluded, they will be covered for all medical expenses included in the policy.  Belt and braces approach, though, is to ask the insurer to confirm.

You do need to check the wording of the actual policy document (not just the various summaries) and this is easier if it's been sent by email as a searchable document.  Read it carefully, but double check by searching for terms such as cruise, ocean, sea, ship etc..

You're right to be cautious - some insurers will move heaven and earth to avoid a claim.  From a personal viewpoint, I'd rather pay a little more for a company with a name to protect if necessary.

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

it’s cos the policy in his name so he deals with it and I’m not sure if he knows what he’s doing. Not like I do but would probably check more than him. He’s gonna get it for me this week. 

it’s all andy’s fault. He made me watch rip off Britain and it’s made me panic 

Oh blimey, I get the blame for everything... 😊

Don't panic,  just check it. 

Standard cruise cover is in many policies or can be added for a small amount. 

We have to have more specific cover for Michelle's medical reasons, but in general, most are covered on a standard policy. 

Andy 

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

If you do have cruise cover that covers missed ports/cabin confinement I would check the policy wording, as our annual policy does not have any excess for these items, and would definitely be worth claiming for if you were unfortunate enough to need too.

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

it’s cos the policy in his name so he deals with it and I’m not sure if he knows what he’s doing. Not like I do but would probably check more than him. He’s gonna get it for me this week

You say the policy is in his name. I would also check that it definitely also covers you.

59 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

You say the policy is in his name. I would also check that it definitely also covers you.

yes I’m sure it’s got mine and the kids names on it. 
it’s cos he gets it through his work benefits, same as we have life ins, critical care etc and could get dental if we wanted. It’s an annual policy that comes off his payslip

As with any policy check carefully.  check the cancellation cover, some don't cover a high enough amount.

Also if it is through work check that you and the children are covered to the same level as the main policy holder.

My work has one that doesn't cover family members for missed departures, abandonment and many more that you would expect to be covered

I do think it is extremely important to check the insurance policy in detail. Work based insurance policies are fine for day to day purposes,  but you do need to ensure that the coverage is sufficient to meet any specific cruise based requirements, medivac being the most obvious need.

• Like 1

There's a further point that sometimes causes cancellation cover to be lost - family members (often, but not always, elderly parents) who become ill and need care.  The holiday has to be cancelled, but the wording of the policy is used to deny cover on the basis that notification of their medical conditions wasn't provided.  A difficult area, and cheap policies are the worst for this.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have just gotten the policy documents from my hubby’s company. 

is it me or does this look 💩

if I’m right I’m gonna be really cross with him since is £120 for the year which is nearly double last years and I don’t think we get half as much as we did. And we can’t cancel it either. 

0C4AD227-065B-4988-B867-494716F0A931.thumb.jpeg.d50d5470926b0f49051e550d8938b3f2.jpeg

also says nothing at all about cruises. 

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

So I have just gotten the policy documents from my hubby’s company. 

is it me or does this look 💩

if I’m right I’m gonna be really cross with him since is £120 for the year which is nearly double last years and I don’t think we get half as much as we did. And we can’t cancel it either. 

0C4AD227-065B-4988-B867-494716F0A931.thumb.jpeg.d50d5470926b0f49051e550d8938b3f2.jpeg

also says nothing at all about cruises. 

The one glaring item that I would be very concerned about is number 5. This is nowhere near enough to cover helicopter evacuation, treatment in a foreign hospital and repatriation. I would recommend you take out additional cover.

7 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

The one glaring item that I would be very concerned about is number 5. This is nowhere near enough to cover helicopter evacuation, treatment in a foreign hospital and repatriation. I would recommend you take out additional cover.

that’s exactly what I thought and I’ve called them. They say it’s unlimited. 
the dental is £350

the burial and transport is £10,000

i asked specifically about cruises. The advisor said it was very comprehensive in that it does include the cruises and that the reason why it’s unlimited as you can have up to 100 people on the policy due to it going through the company instead. 

he can’t say anything further that’s not generic info as I’m not the account holder so instead I asked him to send my hubby everything. So hubby is getting a 50page document for me to go over. 

8 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

that’s exactly what I thought and I’ve called them. They say it’s unlimited. 
the dental is £350

the burial and transport is £10,000

i asked specifically about cruises. The advisor said it was very comprehensive in that it does include the cruises and that the reason why it’s unlimited as you can have up to 100 people on the policy due to it going through the company instead. 

he can’t say anything further that’s not generic info as I’m not the account holder so instead I asked him to send my hubby everything. So hubby is getting a 50page document for me to go over. 

Having looked at it again I can see how it can be read that way. I would certainly be reading all the small print very carefully.

2 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Having looked at it again I can see how it can be read that way. I would certainly be reading all the small print very carefully.

im going to. 

I thought it was £10k medical total to begin with. 
Now they are saying unlimited. 

I think it should have been in separate lines. Would make it much easier. 

pfft I’d never have a policy for only £10k. That won’t get you anywhere these days. Pays just for one holiday to Disney! 

thank you for looking. I will update again when I’ve got the full wording 

If, as you have said, that your insurance is part of your husbands terms and conditions of employment,then surely, you need to be dealing with his Company Secretary.

You are only third party, to that agreement, it being between the Company and the Insurer.

Just now, mercury7289 said:

If, as you have said, that your insurance is part of your husbands terms and conditions of employment,then surely, you need to be dealing with his Company Secretary.

You are only third party, to that agreement, it being between the Company and the Insurer.

it’s not part of the employment but part of a benefits package he can’t opt into. So we get life, critical care and travel insurance through his “benefits scheme” and they all come off his wage directly. 

you don’t have to have it. Others in his team that have a static caravan here don’t but it supposed to be something that can benefit them if they chose to as it’s higher level they say. Also if they asked him to travel they would take out one of these if he hadn’t already got it. 

we could have had dental and private medical too but we didn’t opt for those. 

im not sure I entirely know how it all works. My company don’t do anything like that, that I know of. 

but yes, anything more than generic information on those policies he has to call them. As he did already ask for the copy of the policy and his HR didn’t send the full one. 

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

im going to. 

I thought it was £10k medical total to begin with. 
Now they are saying unlimited. 

I think it should have been in separate lines. Would make it much easier. 

pfft I’d never have a policy for only £10k. That won’t get you anywhere these days. Pays just for one holiday to Disney! 

thank you for looking. I will update again when I’ve got the full wording 

You’ve already picked up on this, but I can’t emphasise enough how important it is to examine the precise wording of the actual policy document.  It might be a little turgid, but it’s the only thing that has any legal significance.

The image above is just a summary of the cover provided and has no legal status.

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’ve already picked up on this, but I can’t emphasise enough how important it is to examine the precise wording of the actual policy document.  It might be a little turgid, but it’s the only thing that has any legal significance.

The image above is just a summary of the cover provided and has no legal status.

Harry always the first time!

Agree

Also, do you not think that £120.00 per year to cover 2 adults and two children seems incredible cheap!

Most especially as trips include cruises and US. visits?

29 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Harry always the first time!

Agree

Also, do you not think that £120.00 per year to cover 2 adults and two children seems incredible cheap!

Most especially as trips include cruises and US. visits?

was £70 last year. They changed providers and it’s gone up! 

Hubbys work are an extremely good company though. I think most of the cover things we have are discounted.