Ambassador Level "Free" Cruise Benefit??

DebbieCruises

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

This being a one time thing for this very special and loyal customer should, for them, be a joy to receive, not this gift with all the restrictions and fine print attached to it.  That just ruins the happy effect it should have provided.  And NCL should even congratulate the Ambassadors with a public recognition.   That's marketing!  The positive spin would offer returns much greater than the small extra cost of doing it right......instead of what they are doing with it.  My opinion.  

I agree with you. Unfortunately, it’s clear from how NCL handles this and other things that it’s either clueless about the value of business goodwill or doesn’t care about it.  

Look at the “free” Platinum dinners, now capped at a $35 entree, when NCL just makes up the entree prices anyway and can set them as high as it wants. We are on the Gem now, and used one of our Platinum vouchers at Le Bistro. Rack of lamb is $36, and Dover sole is $39.  We each ordered the latter, and were warned by the server that we’d be charged the additional $4 and a 20% service charge, which we were. Could we afford the $9.60?  Yes, but what a sour taste this left in our mouths. (Plus the fish was terrible!)

Separately, congrats to the OP!

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, roger001 said:

We'll never reach Ambassador.  However, to me that free cruse is just marketed wrong.  Ambassadors are going to be few and far between.  It should at least be at a suite level room and include all usually benefits whether they are being offered or not.  These extras (beverage, speciality restaurant, etc) cost NCL very little.  This being a one time thing for this very special and loyal customer should, for them, be a joy to receive, not this gift with all the restrictions and fine print attached to it.  That just ruins the happy effect it should have provided.  And NCL should even congratulate the Ambassadors with a public recognition.   That's marketing!  The positive spin would offer returns much greater than the small extra cost of doing it right......instead of what they are doing with it.  My opinion.  

DING, DING, DING.  NCL doesn't get it.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the "time shares" that get marketed in all inclusives. You get this great deal on all these "weeks" you can vacation. What they leave out is that to use the weeks require you to purchase an "all inclusive' package when you book them which often comes out at the same price or more than booking a normal room during a sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

… Actually, they like to point out restrictions at restaurants that don't exist, all for our convenience, of course. 

LOL, DW thought it's because we're below in "steerage" - whether being Platinum+ or not, doesn't matter as we rather to go under the radar, if we could.  Absolutely not in my sights to lock onto the pursuit of Ambassador status, whatsoever.  The extra perks not worth chasing.  

Congrats to OP for recently earning & paying their ways to reach top dog status … much like how legacy US airlines has continued to "tweak" their frequent flyer tiers, perks & benefits.  United Airlines began to wonder how come we cut back on flying their once friendly skies and didn't pursuit lifetime million mile status … guess what, loyalty is our own wallets, not how deep they can sneak their hands into the cookie jars.  With top-tiered airline status, at least one always get priority boarding … among other privileges and recognition, often unspoken, even when you are in the "main" cabin, extended as a courtesy by the senior/chief purser … with the passenger manifest, they know who's who. 

I think it was 3 years ago at one of the Captain's Reception (Breakaway, not 100%) that NCL acknowledged about have 50'ish Latitude Ambassadors in the entire "universe" with 2 of them sailing onboard.  Fast forward to May 2019 on the Dawn, the rank has been reduced to under/about only 40 - they're onboard but only one was at the reception & acknowledged.

Recently, on NCL's official FB page, 2 Ambassadors were featured - sailing their 100 cruises, or 1,241 nights with Norwegian - David & Jeffrey, neither of them appeared to be in the 90's in age.  Link is here - see for yourself, should be known/recognized by hard core CC'ers here. (If link is taken down, just go to their FB page & find it there, easily)

P.S.  Tell them when booking the hard-earned "free" cruise, that you are celebrating a milestone, maybe, that will be enough excuse onboard for them to send an extra plate of chocolate-covered strawberries or small cake, for your convenience, at no extra charge.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, roger001 said:

We'll never reach Ambassador.  However, to me that free cruse is just marketed wrong.  Ambassadors are going to be few and far between.  It should at least be at a suite level room and include all usually benefits whether they are being offered or not.  These extras (beverage, speciality restaurant, etc) cost NCL very little.  This being a one time thing for this very special and loyal customer should, for them, be a joy to receive, not this gift with all the restrictions and fine print attached to it.  That just ruins the happy effect it should have provided.  And NCL should even congratulate the Ambassadors with a public recognition.   That's marketing!  The positive spin would offer returns much greater than the small extra cost of doing it right......instead of what they are doing with it.  My opinion.  

Spot on, roger001. NCL does not ‘get it’. Publicizing folks who reach Ambassador level is good for the Line.  Not giving the normal perks or specialty restaurant breakfasts just shows how NCL ‘values’ their top tier guests. Not at all! Perhaps CEO Frank del Rio should read Cruise Critic comments. Frank, what about it?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, roger001 said:

What Roger001 said! I have been Ambassador for over one year and will likely not ever book my "free" cruise. I sail solo most of the time and the one time I did call to potentially book -- and also wanted to upgrade to Haven -- I was quoted over $8,000 because they were going to add the single supplement! 😯  The 8K of course did not include any perks so by the time I would have added in a beverage and dining package for a 7-day cruise it would be closer to 9K. Absurd. I would also have to pay double taxes etc in the "free" balcony.  I too believe that if you are only getting the ONE free cruise in a LIFETIME, it should be a suite as a thank you.

When I made it to Ambassador level, I never even got a form letter acknowledging the achievement. Occasionally at the Latitude party the Cruise Next host might mention it but that's it as far as any recognition goes.

The definition of Ambassador is "a person who acts as a representative or promoter of a specified activity". I've always thought NCL should use their Ambassadors as true loyalist representatives. Give us a unique looking key card so when others see it they might ask questions and we can promote the brand. It's free marketing for NCL, an opportunity they have missed.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Coastalbreezes said:

What Roger001 said! I have been Ambassador for over one year and will likely not ever book my "free" cruise. I sail solo most of the time and the one time I did call to potentially book -- and also wanted to upgrade to Haven -- I was quoted over $8,000 because they were going to add the single supplement! 😯

That’s ridiculous, and another sad example of NCL going about this all wrong. 

On Celebrity, the highest loyalty tier is Zenith, and from what I could see, those folks are really fawned over on board. On your first cruise as a Zenith, there’s a ceremony for you on the bridge, you get wine and cake, etc. Observing or being told these things, I got the sense that, on board at least, Celebrity cared about these folks and about making them feel special. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

When I made it to Ambassador level, I never even got a form letter acknowledging the achievement. Occasionally at the Latitude party the Cruise Next host might mention it but that's it as far as any recognition goes.

Thats a poor show, a couple we met o the Jade had just become Ambassadors and were presented with NCL badges just like the crew wear, their name, country flag and instead of a job title it said Ambassador, I thought this was a nice gesture.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

What Roger001 said! I have been Ambassador for over one year and will likely not ever book my "free" cruise. I sail solo most of the time and the one time I did call to potentially book -- and also wanted to upgrade to Haven -- I was quoted over $8,000 because they were going to add the single supplement! 😯  The 8K of course did not include any perks so by the time I would have added in a beverage and dining package for a 7-day cruise it would be closer to 9K. Absurd. I would also have to pay double taxes etc in the "free" balcony.  I too believe that if you are only getting the ONE free cruise in a LIFETIME, it should be a suite as a thank you.

The definition of Ambassador is "a person who acts as a representative or promoter of a specified activity". I've always thought NCL should use their Ambassadors as true loyalist representatives. Give us a unique looking key card so when others see it they might ask questions and we can promote the brand. It's free marketing for NCL, an opportunity they have missed.

This is eye opening. I just assumed that ncl would treat you like kings/queens on board. 

ambassador level is something that i have a good shot of hitting in about 20 years. but i guess that doesn't really mean anything to ncl, and in turn it means even less to me lol. this just incentivizes me even more to not be "loyal" and always shop around for the lowest price. 

Edited by DrSea
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Thats a poor show, a couple we met o the Jade had just become Ambassadors and were presented with NCL badges just like the crew wear, their name, country flag and instead of a job title it said Ambassador, I thought this was a nice gesture.

Now that was a nice gesture....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

What Roger001 said! ...When I made it to Ambassador level, I never even got a form letter acknowledging the achievement. Occasionally at the Latitude party the Cruise Next host might mention it but that's it as far as any recognition goes...The definition of Ambassador is "a person who acts as a representative or promoter of a specified activity". I've always thought NCL should use their Ambassadors as true loyalist representatives. Give us a unique looking key card so when others see it they might ask questions and we can promote the brand. It's free marketing for NCL, an opportunity they have missed.

Yup! No letter! No acknowledgement! Nada! Kinda makes ya feel ‘warm, fuzzy and wanted’. We’ve booked the PoA for our ‘reward’. We’ll wait and see what treatment we receive on board. Not expecting anything but perhaps NCL will relent and ‘smarten up’. Are ya listen, NCL...??

• Like 3

I am not one that would want to have a public "big deal" made but just a little gratitude.  Like a letter in the cabin, special dinner and of course my already earned perks along with some booking perks.  Maybe NCL will read this thread and get some ideas.

• Like 1

Good lord NCL's attitude towards their most loyal customers is like a deadbeat dad grudgingly paying alimony. 

I thought you get 1 free cruise per year. NCL's behavior would sill be tacky and gross. If it's really a once in a LIFETIME benefit NCL's behavior is just shameful, classless and idiotic. 

• Like 4

On 1/20/2020 at 4:49 AM, Budget Queen said:

Everything you’ve been told is correct.   It is no perk balcony cabin which you have to pay taxes and prepay grats.   You can NOT use a Cruise Next ( unlike CAS comped cruises).  And limited to 7 days.   

This is one time.   The benefits are an extra 40 minutes of internet.  

Unlike the shortcut claims above-  I earned most of my points by actually sailing.  😀😀.   The bonus was previously for cruises booked 9 months ahead- not 6.  I did have a few of those.   

I redeemed my Ambassador cruise on POA.  The highest value.   I can pick up Caribbean cruises on the cheap discount rack often,  so of no value to me.   

I agree with you, if and when we make Ambassador we would go on the POA....we would just have to make sure to stay an extra week on Oahu. Too long a flight for us for just a week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

Yup! No letter! No acknowledgement! Nada! Kinda makes ya feel ‘warm, fuzzy and wanted’. We’ve booked the PoA for our ‘reward’. We’ll wait and see what treatment we receive on board. Not expecting anything but perhaps NCL will relent and ‘smarten up’. Are ya listen, NCL...??

they say they read these threads, but somehow i doubt it, because if they saw how discontented some Latitudes members are they would do something about it but like someone else said THEY DON'T CARE.

59 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

they say they read these threads, but somehow i doubt it, because if they saw how discontented some Latitudes members are they would do something about it but like someone else said THEY DON'T CARE.

They don't care. NCL hates Platinum cruisers. This is plain to see. All Frank Del Rio wants is first time millenials who will take instagrams. 

8 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

What Roger001 said! I have been Ambassador for over one year and will likely not ever book my "free" cruise. 

You absolutely won't ever book your 'free' cruise.  You had only 12 months from the date you made Ambassador level.

For your convenience of course.....

3 hours ago, Love my butler said:

You absolutely won't ever book your 'free' cruise.  You had only 12 months from the date you made Ambassador level.

For your convenience of course.....

You cannot be serious. That's actually a restriction?

NCL should just make the one benefit of reaching Ambassador be that you lose all your loyalty status points and have to start over from bronze. 

• Like 2

@PortFees45

Here are the Conditions from https://www.ncl.com/nz/en/latitudes-rewards-program/benefits-terms-and-conditions

Complimentary 7-Day Cruise – Ambassador

Ambassador members will be offered a one-time complimentary 7-day cruise. The cruise is for 2 people in a balcony stateroom, third and fourth guests will be at prevailing rates. Eligible members will have one (1) year to take the complimentary cruise.

There are no destination restrictions but holiday sailings are excluded. No promotions are included. Taxes and fees not included.

Service charges not included.

Terms and conditions are subject to change and inventory is subject to availability.

Edited by casofilia

14 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@PortFees45

Here are the Conditions from https://www.ncl.com/nz/en/latitudes-rewards-program/benefits-terms-and-conditions

Complimentary 7-Day Cruise – Ambassador

Ambassador members will be offered a one-time complimentary 7-day cruise. The cruise is for 2 people in a balcony stateroom, third and fourth guests will be at prevailing rates. Eligible members will have one (1) year to take the complimentary cruise.

There are no destination restrictions but holiday sailings are excluded. No promotions are included. Taxes and fees not included.

Service charges not included.

Terms and conditions are subject to change and inventory is subject to availability.

That offer is almost embarrassing!   

On 1/19/2020 at 5:38 PM, DebbieCruises said:

But a balcony cabin is with a 30% discount and the "Free at Sea" perks included.  If they offer the  $1345 for a balcony cabin, but charge full fare for everything else, how does that help.  I actually think it might  be less expensive or at the very least equal to get the suite with the current promotion instead of getting my free cruise.  Oh, they also charge extra for the taxes and fees for 2 people in the cabin and they are not part of the cost of the "free balcony" cabin price.  I guess I need to see what they are charging for the drink package, dinner package, WiFi minutes package etc. before deciding

No, no.  The balcony cabin with the 30% discount and perks is for  Joe Public, booking his cruise.  Your Ambassador perk is for a 7 day cruise balcony.  What you've earned for your status ...is a room, of NCL choosing for a week.  If you want more than that, or a higher class room, that's on you and therefor out of your pocket.  I know it doesn't seem a fare trade for your loyalty but that's how it's described in the rewards.  

They don't see the logic in offering the discounts and perks on a 'free room'  their logic is you earned the room.....that's what you're going to get.  Now, if all your cruises had been in only insides, or OV rooms...the balcony would be a great perk.  Unfortunately for you...it's somewhat of a downgrade.  But, it's still a place to lay your head, at sea, for a week.   

Just my humble opinion....