Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2020

barbpretz

Well, it's a new year, so we may as well start a new "Secrets" thread.  Please share your favorite secrets so that people who are new to Princess (or those who don't read older threads) won't miss out.

My favorite "secret" is still Refer-A-Friend.  Details can be found on the main Princess page at the bottom in small print under "Cruise Deals".  If you've never cruised Princess before, look into this before you book your cruise to get $25 on-board credit for yourself and whoever refers you.  If you have cruised Princess before but have friends or family members who are cruising Princess for the first time, consider looking into referring them before they book.

Here's to another great year of cruising!

• Like 3

mine isn't earth shattering, but baked potato is available every night in the pain dining room.  also last time i wasn't feeling the food on the menu the last night, i think it was too rich or spicy, so i asked for shrimp cocktail no sauce and a caeser salad as my entree.  it was a delightful shrimp caeser salad, and is now on my list for when i'm wanting something a bit simpler/lighter for dinner but still want to eat in the main dining room.  sometimes, especially after i've had a migraine, my stomach just doesn't want all of the rich foods or new flavors.

• Like 6

On a medallion class ship. Do not bother selecting what you will do each day from the app on your phone at home. It has many changes when you get on the ship. I really wasted my time at home thinking I would be all ready for each day. On the Sky Princess, in the buffet, you can order any drink from anyone.. No one special to get you a drink. Want hot soup. Find the ones covered.

• Like 1

I order off menu as my favorite dishes aren't there (stuffed baked potato & ice cream between 2 chocolate chip cookies)

And yes, I ask for ice cream & berries for dessert so I guess you can just get the berries

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

One can order only steamed vegetables every night in the main dining room for a fine and low calorie dinner. Of course, after doing this for an entire cruise, you will never want to cruise again. 

Huh. We must have never sailed on the same ship / same time as I've never been turned down. I get steamed broccoli, baked potato, cream sauce mixed with cheese. Deconstructed. Put it together. 

If you don't like anything on the menu put together several sides 👍

Yes, Tony, one of your previous posts inspired me to order the volcano on a prior cruise and it was great.  I see that we will both be sailing on the January 26 Crown.  Perhaps we’ll meet.  The Roll Call for this cruise hasn’t been very active.  It’s too bad that a Meet and Great didn’t develop.  In the meanwhile I’m sure that there will be another Volcano in my future!

Edited by mevs904
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, moodyb1 said:

You can get breadsticks in the MDR if you ask for them.

Hello moodyb1, this is Zahav1, I hope you're well and having fun cruising.  We cruised together in 2013 and spent time on a Saturday morning in St. Thomas.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zahav1 said:

Hello moodyb1, this is Zahav1, I hope you're well and having fun cruising.  We cruised together in 2013 and spent time on a Saturday morning in St. Thomas.

Hi there! Yes, we remember you! How are you? We retired in 2016 and have been on many cruises and land tours since then. On Friday we leave for two cruises: one around NZ and the other from Sydney to Singapore. Then we have two more later this year in Europe.

Be well,

Arlene

1 hour ago, moodyb1 said:

You can get breadsticks in the MDR if you ask for them.

And if you have traditional dining and make it clear that you want them daily, they will be there waiting for you (likewise in CC).  The quality & freshness do vary ship to ship like many other things Princess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

You can order this (see picture) from the kids menu it’s soooo good. It’s called a Volcano 😋😋😋

Tony

B51EC3ED-A09A-4642-AB30-D431386CEC2A.jpeg

So.. I asked for one.. and it had everything in it. I have to find a photo. It even had raisins!!!!!! hahahaha My waiter thought I was joking.. but I said I really wanted to try one. Each night after he offered it to me 😉 

4 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

So.. I asked for one.. and it had everything in it. I have to find a photo. It even had raisins!!!!!! hahahaha My waiter thought I was joking.. but I said I really wanted to try one. Each night after he offered it to me 😉 

The only time I ordered one it was more "bare bones" than most pics but still good. I was just "considering" ordering it but when I mentioned it to my wife the server's eyes lit up and she got a big grin and told me I really had to order it. She actually seemed excited. Our table mates were surprised I even knew about it and that one could order from the children's menu. I don't think any of them even knew there was a children's menu. From pics that have been posted it seems clear there is no set recipe for the Volcano. It seems to vary from ship to ship and chef to chef - probably depending somewhat on the ingredients at hand. It was a pretty big dessert. I'd be more likely to order it to share. (Sometimes I miss the ability of young folks to eat and eat and eat and never get full or gain weight.)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

First of all 007 I love it Mr. Bond. Now did your Volcano look like this one? See Photo 
Tony

56C1C449-D5E3-42C5-8B0E-2D9511A2E30B.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The only time I ordered one it was more "bare bones" than most pics but still good. I was just "considering" ordering it but when I mentioned it to my wife the server's eyes lit up and she got a big grin and told me I really had to order it. She actually seemed excited. Our table mates were surprised I even knew about it and that one could order from the children's menu. I don't think any of them even knew there was a children's menu. From pics that have been posted it seems clear there is no set recipe for the Volcano. It seems to vary from ship to ship and chef to chef - probably depending somewhat on the ingredients at hand. It was a pretty big dessert. I'd be more likely to order it to share. (Sometimes I miss the ability of young folks to eat and eat and eat and never get full or gain weight.)

It surely was fun! It was a night nothing sounded good but a banana split and I remembered to ask for it and see what came out. haha 

There found mine! Totally worth the craving for something childish! 😄 

2019-05-30 04.07.52.jpg

11 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Yes, Tony, one of your previous posts inspired me to order the volcano on a prior cruise and it was great.  I see that we will both be sailing on the January 26 Crown.  Perhaps we’ll meet.  The Roll Call for this cruise hasn’t been very active.  It’s too bad that a Meet and Great didn’t develop.  In the meanwhile I’m sure that there will be another Volcano in my future!

Hi Mevs904,

I’m at the adult pool everyday please come by and say hi. I really like meeting by Cruise Critic Friends!!

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Mevs904,

I’m at the adult pool everyday please come by and say hi. I really like meeting by Cruise Critic Friends!!

Tony

We’ll do that.  It will be fun to meet “The Captain of the Rowboat” and Margie.