Princess Cruise "Secrets" 2020

barbpretz

I don't think I've ever seen this one here in any of the "secrets" threads. Elevators: If you hear a single "Ding!" the elevator is going UP. If you hear a "Ding Dong" the elevator is going DOWN.  I'm always amazed at how many people rush over to an elevator when they hear a sound only to be disappointed when they see the indicator pointing the wrong way. If you listen to the sound you will know in advance which way the car is headed.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I don't think I've ever seen this one here in any of the "secrets" threads. Elevators: If you hear a single "Ding!" the elevator is going UP. If you hear a "Ding Dong" the elevator is going DOWN.  I'm always amazed at how many people rush over to an elevator when they hear a sound only to be disappointed when they see the indicator pointing the wrong way. If you listen to the sound you will know in advance which way the car is headed.

We learned that the first night thanks to our first cruise director! lol 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Learnt something new there, thank you we are going on the Majestic in 4 weeks.

55 minutes ago, Thrak said:

For the most part, that is true for all elevators.  Not only on cruise ships.  If they are working properly.

Edited by 2 cruises a year

55 minutes ago, Thrak said:

First time in my 53 yrs that I have heard this. I’ve seriously been bemoaning the fact that I’ve done so much research on CC that I’m not able to learn anything new. Thanks for putting some joy back in my step 👍🏼😀. Can’t wait to test this out! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

While we are talking about elevators, there are exceptions, but most of the passenger elevators face forward, so when you get off, go left to be on the port side. Go right to be on the starboard side.  The most notable exception is all of the Panoramic lifts in the atrium face aft.  The aft elevators on the Sapphire are looking toward the middle, and I believe on the Caribbean there is one set of elevators that face aft.

1. if you are new to Princess, or the ship you are cruising on, they usually do a short, free tour on boarding day sometime before the muster drill. It is led by one of the cruise director staff & will give you a quick overview of the layout of the ship, some tips & a chance to ask questions...it will be in the Patter
  2. if you have (or travel with someone who has) disabilities or difficulty with stairs, go to your muster station early so you don't have to climb & can get a seat
  3. you can have a top sheet (instead of or in addition to the heavy bedcovering thing they like to use) if you just ask
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

VERY helpful, and very much appreciated! 

20 hours ago, Thrak said:

Whaaaaat? Game Changer! thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 2:34 PM, jondfk said:

And if you have traditional dining and make it clear that you want them daily, they will be there waiting for you (likewise in CC).  The quality & freshness do vary ship to ship like many other things Princess.

I asked for them on the Crown in Oct ... i do not believe these were prepared in-house ... seemed commercially prepared and procurred from a mediocre operation ... nothing, absolutely nothing, special ... but kudos to our waitstaff who brought them to our table every night.

2 hours ago, Olentangy said:

The carpet on each side of the ship is different colored.  That can help if you take the stairs,  which we always do,  and end up confused about where you are !!

sadly as they replace the carpeting during drydocks this is often no longer true 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Olentangy said:

The carpet on each side of the ship is different colored.  That can help if you take the stairs,  which we always do,  and end up confused about where you are !!

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

sadly as they replace the carpeting during drydocks this is often no longer true 

I've seen pics of the newer carpets (and sailed on ships that have the newer carpet) and, despite folks saying how the pattern shows port and starboard as well as forward and aft, I have to admit I just don't see it. Perhaps I'm perceptually challenged but I just don't see it. The old green and red stripes were obvious. I never really seemed to need them (although, for some reason, my wife often did) and, when you know which way to go, a quick glance at the first cabin numbers as you enter the hallway will show you in which direction they are ascending or descending. (This is normally not an issue either but I have to admit that a couple of times I have confidently headed off in the wrong direction. Not far mind you but I have done so.)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, billco said:

When booking a cruise on the Princess website, Obstructed Oceanview, Obstructed Balcony, and Obstructed Deluxe Balcony are often listed under Interior.

Wow. That is messed up. I never book on any cruise lines web site. I go to a web site that covers each deck thoroughly. Give you all private and public locations along with each cabin category and the info for that. Then I pick what I want and go to my TA to double check and get my final price. Most of the time is it lower and more perks and OBC. Plus if the price drops or a better offer comes up. I get a call on it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

There is a subtle color difference in the carpet between the port and starboard sides and to my eyes the suggestion of a direction. It is far less evident than previous schemes and not as helpful, but that is my opinion.

• Like 1

For those curious of the elevator "ding!" and "ding dong!" noises, the attached videos are for your viewing.

This was filmed on Royal and all Royal-class ships have the same elevator noises (but not announcers), given that they're from the same manufacturer (Kone) and are the same generation of elevator. But the sounds will vary across the fleet. Newer Grand-class ships (e.g. Ruby) have a more echo-y sound (reference, credit to Walking Tours: https://youtu.be/lIrZA-noNXA?t=2667). Older Grand-class ships (e.g. Star) will also have a different sound (reference, credit to NationalElevator: https://youtu.be/wIStkx4Fq9U?t=119).

[Going Up]

[Going Down]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1