Bar closed while in Japan ports?

Hog Head

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I doubt it. But, if you don't specify cruise line, how can we answer for specific policy of a given cruise line?

I did not ask about cruise line policy, but a governmental rule regarding duty free alcohol sales while in port

@Hog Head

Howdy and welcome to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍 

However since your new thread concerns specific Port of Call, have moved your thread to the Ports of Call - Asia forum where it will be on-topic. Please browse through the thread titles on this new forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.  

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

11 hours ago, Hog Head said:

I did not ask about cruise line policy, but a governmental rule regarding duty free alcohol sales while in port

Duty free shops and other shops are closed while in port (not just Japan), bars are open.

People in the West face some rather bizarre concepts about alcohol being evil and a tool of the devil. Asians generally do not suffer form those hang ups. Most of Asia - Japan included -has no “sin taxes” or silly laws about alcohol.