Plastic Water Bottles Being Replaced

Karemark

15 hours ago, stephiems said:

I wouldn't consider myself a tree hugger, but I have seen plenty about how plastic is ruining our oceans, and believe something needs to change. If they are making changes simply for good publicity, but in the end it gets rid of some plastic, I'm all for it.

I'd rather them put taps all around the ship specific for filling up reusable bottles alongside using cans instead of plastic bottles, but at least it is baby steps.

I am not sure plastics are ruining the oceans. I think governments  that don’t enforce rules and corporations that break the rules are ruining the oceans

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mr walker said:

Pure water is by definition an odourless, colourless, tastless liquid. The 'taste' that we experience when we drink water is impurities in the water. Depending on the source, this will vary, and thus some people prefer certain brands than others, and some municipal water likewise. Many report that 'pure' water tastes bland or similar.

When the water utilities supply water to their customers they are not required to provide an analysis list of ingredients. Some authorities require advice on water quality be provided to the customers by the water companies perhaps on a quarterly basis. Companies that supply water in bottles etc are required to do this on each and every bottle or can, and hence the listing shown by OP on the Dasani water.

' Making' potable water by RO of sea water removes not only the salt [NaCl] but other minerals etc in the water, effectively making it tasteless. Hence the addition of 'impurities' to give us the taste we desire. There is nothing sinister in the ingredient list on the Dasani water as listed by OP.

If you want to try pure water, buy a bottle of distilled water and try drinking it.

Even better, boil it first to drive out any dissolved gases.  Which also add flavor.

21 hours ago, gerif said:

I’m talking about using wide mouth bottles that are not at all difficult to fill from a glass. Glasses of water can be obtained at any eating venue or bar and, of course, the faucet in your bathroom (that will need ice added). I started cruising about 30 years ago. To my knowledge no one was using bottled water at that time, at least not on a widespread basis. We just drank water from glasses. No one died as a result of doing this. 

I'm not quite sure why you are going back and forth on this with me, there is no need to convince me. I want people to use reusable bottles, I'm not arguing against it. The truth is, people don't want to have to fill up and glass and be careful while pouring it into their bottle. It is too convenient to have a plastic bottle. In order to make it easily accessible, they should have dedicated stations that are made to fill water bottles. Then, slowly phase out bottles all together.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

I am not sure plastics are ruining the oceans. I think governments  that don’t enforce rules and corporations that break the rules are ruining the oceans

You do know there can be more than one problem, right? Yes, chemicals and other substances going into the oceans are bad, but plastic is a MAJOR issue.

Not sure if links are allowed here, but this gives a lot of information https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-05-17/cocos-islands-millions-pieces-plastic-rubbish/11112784

I don't think the ingredients are unique to the water being in the can. I like Dasani and the "plastic" bottle has the same ingredients as the OP posted. However, since I have not tasted the product in the can before I will not dispute that the taste may be different than in the plastic bottle.

"Purified Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Salt" 

Minerals added for Taste.

16 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

I have to ask now, what is the objectionable taste of Dasani? Thank you.

I really don't know! But given a choice, I would choose pretty much any other beverage over Danani water. It just gives me a strange taste in my mouth. Could be it just reacts weird with my body chemistry?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I really don't know! But given a choice, I would choose pretty much any other beverage over Danani water. It just gives me a strange taste in my mouth. Could be it just reacts weird with my body chemistry?

Nope, not just you same here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stephiems said:

I'm not quite sure why you are going back and forth on this with me, there is no need to convince me. I want people to use reusable bottles, I'm not arguing against it. The truth is, people don't want to have to fill up and glass and be careful while pouring it into their bottle. It is too convenient to have a plastic bottle. In order to make it easily accessible, they should have dedicated stations that are made to fill water bottles. Then, slowly phase out bottles all together.

Our last few cruises have been NCL. Their beverage package will give you a zillion beers or mixed drinks, happily! Also water in dispensers at various locations and in a glass. It drove me bat crap crazy, at first) that bottled water wasn't included, as it is for Royal and Carnival. Anyway.. after watching the zillions of ditched drinks, it occurred to me how many of those bottles would have a sip or two taken, then tossed. (I'm sure I'm about to see this on Royal this weekend (it's been a decade since I cruised Royal...) Anyway, I'm 100% on board with not providing bottled (or canned!) water in the drink package. But damn. Why can't they have bottle refill stations like airports and gyms!? If they can have a washy washy lady, they can certainly have a bottle filler upper man a few refill stations in the gym and a few central locations. Seems soooooo much cheaper and better for the environment. 

As it was, on NCL, it was a pain to refill a refillable bottle, because people would literally stand in front of the water dispenser with a little cup and then try to pour it into their water bottles making a mess and a huge line. We can do soooo much better!

• Like 1

I do not want my water to taste like anything. Not fruit , not fizzy , not unless it is something I placed in it myself. At home we have well water and it has no taste. At my dad's house where I grew up it is "city" water which has something added to it at the source that it did not have when I was growing up there. It now taste like chlorine. I guess I am spoiled by my non treated well water.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IslandTrails said:

On a cruise on Adventure of the Seas I ordered Evian water bottles to my room.  Is this being discontinued?

Evian is still on the website for ordering.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 7:54 AM, crewsweeper said:

Out of the bathroom sinks, yes.  But Lido and public areas-ex bathrooms-generally not.  What is different is that the water is NOT the same as the tap water you may be used to at home. 

On your next cruise place a white facecloth in the sink and turn the water on and let it run for a few minutes.  I could not believe the quarter size nasty looking spot that appeared on the facecloth.  Not wanting to drink the tap water on ship after seeing that.  Seldom drink soda so always have bottled water to quench thirst and take medication.

They tell you not to drink out of tap. Rinse mouth. Pipes gather all sorts of stuff. Just like at home. Water directly out of water treatment plant is as pure as it can get. By the time it makes it's way to you faucet, it's picked up a few hitchhikers. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

They tell you not to drink out of tap. Rinse mouth. Pipes gather all sorts of stuff. Just like at home. Water directly out of water treatment plant is as pure as it can get. By the time it makes it's way to you faucet, it's picked up a few hitchhikers. 

Who tells you not to drink out of the tap?

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

On your next cruise place a white facecloth in the sink and turn the water on and let it run for a few minutes.  I could not believe the quarter size nasty looking spot that appeared on the facecloth.  Not wanting to drink the tap water on ship after seeing that.  Seldom drink soda so always have bottled water to quench thirst and take medication.

So, you don't drink coffee/tea made from that water?  🍷

20 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Ask any room steward.  See past reviews from cruisers. Use common sense.

Sorry, but in the time I spent as crew on cruise ships,  I've never heard of anyone getting sick due to the water out of the taps on cruise ships. 

The problem with believing room stewards is that for most of them, the concept of drinking tap water is unheard of.  This is because in their own countries,  tap water is unsafe. 

It may not have the best taste, but it is perfectly safe to drink. 

Edited by Balsam12
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Ask any room steward.  See past reviews from cruisers. Use common sense.

Common sense would tell me that the water is the same water as it is anywhere around the ship.  Some of the water comes from shore sources, some comes from on board distillation systems.  If you REALLY think that a cruise company is willing to risk your health by saving money on water, perhaps you should find a different vacation- as there are plenty of other places they can cut costs and increase the risk of your health.

The water doesn't sit at all- especially when compared to your home plumbing- at worst, the local plumbing from the main line to your sink may only be used when you open the sink- but everyone else uses it in the sink AND in the shower. 

The shower water HAS to be potable, given that you have a very high likelihood that you will get some in your mouth.  The only water that  I would bet is non-potable is the toilet- and there's no chance I'm going to investigate that, as it does not matter.

The plumbing in my house is pushing 100 years old now.  The ships I sail on- the plumbing is less than 20, and by then, it's not going to leach given the material advances.

We started using it for making coffee- and you actually find less sediments in it than the Evian.  

WRT the aluminum bottles, I'm all for it.  The initial cost will be higher to convert, but I would bet that once in a steady state set up, instead of paying someone to take plastic and dispose of it, they will be able to sell the aluminum- so the net cost of AL vs plastic will be a wash in the long run.  In terms of how much it will help- it helps that they are taking the first steps that other people can take.  Which is a big deal.  Ships survive on the fact they can delivery you an ocean based vacation- and if the ocean is littered with plastic, they won't be able to deliver that vacation.  They are doing what they can to fix that problem.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:26 AM, Moltar said:

Tell that to people in Flint and Newark and God knows where else in this crumbling infrastructure country.

Also add Westfield Massachusetts we found out two years ago they have been poisoning us for years no choice but to buy water now! We are not suppose to bathe with it or cook with it ! Heating makes it worse!

Edited by Reader0108598

13 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Totally agree.  

Had long conversation with LA officer on board (currently on Vision).  She confirmed there are separate water supplies.  One for toilet, one for sink/shower water, one for drinking water .  She absolutely warned us about anyone drinking from cabin sink (wash face, brush teeth only).  She said many have become sick drinking it. 

We had four cans of Dasani waiting for us in the cabin.  She told us they are much more expensive than the bottled water, but RCI is experimenting with more eco friendly process.  Crew members don't like the cans, as it costs them more to buy as well.  

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, island lady said:

She absolutely warned us about anyone drinking from cabin sink (wash face, brush teeth only).  She said many have become sick drinking it. 

Absolute rubbish.

If drinking the water from the sink in your cabin makes you sick,  there would be a lot of sick people on every cruise. There is zero difference between drinking the water and using it for brushing your teeth. 

Next time,  ask one of the bridge crew about the water,  out better yet,  one of the engineers. You will find that the water out of the tap in your cabin bathroom is the same as the water they use in the gallery. 

We are talking about modern, high tech cruise ships here,  not a third world country. 

I don’t drink bathroom water at home, hotel or cruise ship. I have a bottle of room temperature water on my nightstand that has a resealable cap. I don’t know why water gets so much attention when there is a larger market share of carbonated soft drinks being sold in plastic. Beer is sold in glass soda can be sold in glass as well. I prefer glass and aluminum because the beverage is colder. Maybe when the waiters start walking pool side with pitchers of water to fill a personal container then I may be accepting of carrying the cup they provide with the drink package 

• Like 2