Edge-first impressions

Mauidiver

We boarded Edge yesterday for our Western Caribbean cruise and first impression is that we really love this ship.  It’s been 15 years since our last cruise on Celebrity Horizon (where we had the one balcony cabin on the ship!), and we chose Edge because she’s a little different than other ships.  Since the most modern ship we’ve been on to compare Edge to is Infinity, which we cruised on a year after she was put into service, it gives you a little perspective that we have nothing recent to compare this ship to, so you can either call it a fresh perspective or an uninformed one....you’re choice.

So far we’ve been impressed with just about everything and feel that Edge lives up to our fond memories of our many cruises on Celebrity from years past, with a modern twist. However I must say that one HUGE improvement was embarkation.  Holy cow, from drop off to boarding was literally less than 15 min using expedited arrival, and being able to drop our things in the cabin right away was the icing on the cake!  The muster drill was also a dream to sit in a comfortable restaurant watching a silly video rather than lining up on a hot deck with a bulky life jacket on for 20 min.  Yup, that’s how it was done in the old days so count your blessings!

We’re in a Sunset View cabin on the aft of the ship, which became our favorite location after our Infinity cruise.  We picked our cabin based more on location instead of traditional balcony vs infinite veranda, so I’m not in a position to enter the debate about them.  There’s definitely some vibration and motion in an aft cabin, and it’s a long walk to everywhere, so it’s a bit of a trade off IMO.

Because the two big football games were being played, Celebrity did a great job of making sure it was on TV as well as various large venues around the ship. Because my husband is a Packers fan we didn’t do much on our first evening except watch football, but I don’t mind a slow roll into a fun week of cruising.  

Today is Key West and we’ve booked a scuba diving charter, then find some Key Lime pie and do a little shopping/walking around. I’ll try to post as the week goes on for those who are interested.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

So glad you're enjoying the SV.  My friend and I also were in that cabin category on 12/1...and loved it!  We were hooked on SVs after our Hawaii to Vancouver cruise on Solstice a few years ago.  We don't mind the extra steps (justifies the gelato) and didn't notice any motion.

I was a little skeptical about Edge...so much had been written about her...but it was a great trip from start to finish.

Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

We enjoyed our IV, Aq class with BLU and thermal suite access  on our 1st EDGE cruise BUT loved the SV on our second EDGE to ABC  islands..

The long walk to/ from  the elev was a trade off for a larger cabin,  huge balcony and amazing aft views..we were on 7 and lucked out..no vibrations and  a tiny amt of soot .

Hope you continue to enjoy the EDGE!

If possible could you post a photo  of the pool deck  pvt cabanas and the  planters that sep them from the walkway ..There is an ongoing discusion about how pvt they are and I can't recall if I took a pic.. if you cant..that's okay..just a thought.

Thanks

Agree with OP.

We also got on yesterday. We have an IV cabin and like it!

Bathroom nice and large. Bed is by closet and it is not easy to access. Also closet seems small. Overall room is very nice. 

We have early fixed dining 5:45 in Cosmopolitan. Fastest ever service 1 hour and 5 minutes start to finish. Great service. 

Cruise is off to a great start. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

If possible could you post a photo  of the pool deck  pvt cabanas and the  planters that sep them from the walkway ..There is an ongoing discusion about how pvt they are and I can't recall if I took a pic.. if you cant..that's okay..just a thought.

Thanks

The planters were installed while we were on board, here's before and after.

RX600102s.jpg

RX600764s.jpg

We were on the Edge last week for the first time - 3 of us in an IV cabin. Though the ship was beautifully decorated with a layout like no other ship we’ve been on, we will probably not book another E-class ship because of the cabin and all the “levels” throughout the ship that didn’t allow you to get from point A to B without going through C. Food was great. Service was great. But we are more of the traditionalist types.  The Edge is anything but traditional. 

• Thanks 1

Our day in Key West was a lot of fun.  We docked a little early and it was so quiet we didn’t realize we were tied up.  The same thing happened when we left, the ship is so smooth we didn’t realize we were moving until we were about 25’ off of the dock!  This ship is smooth!

We were joined by an RCCL ship (don’t remember the name, but one of the older ones) so it was a bit busy in port, but not jam packed.  We’re scuba divers so we booked a double-dip to the wreck of the Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg with Captains Corner.  The seas in the winter are unpredictable in Key West so we were super lucky to be able to get out to the wreck and dive it.  The weather was a little windy and partly cloudy, so sometimes felt chilly but it was in the mid-70s so when the sun came out it felt warm to the skin.  Really perfect sunning weather.

After our dive adventure we walked around Key West, bought a fun souvenir, ate key lime pie (a must for us, and SO good), then headed back to the ship for a light lunch.  We’ve been in Key West many times both on vacations and cruises, so we’ve seen pretty much everything there is to see, so didn’t feel a huge need to spend a lot of time in town.

Lunch was at the Oceanview Cafe and it was very good.  We grabbed drinks at the pool bar and headed back to our cabin to sit out on the veranda and enjoy the sunshine.  We spent most of the afternoon out there, watching the RCCL ship leave (no pier runners), then watching Edge depart Key West.

We have select dining and I had previously made reservations for each night at the various restaurants and tonight was Normandie.  When we arrived at 6:30 there was a 20-30 minute wait for those without reservations so I definitely recommend pre-booking.

Dinner was SO good, and I cannot recommend the baked Brie appetizer highly enough!  If you enjoy cheese, this is a must IMO.  We found the menu to be excellent, though it wasn’t entirely accurate when compared to the Celebrity app.  There was one item that was different, which was no big deal, but it’s worth noting.  

We’ve been enjoying the convenience of the premium beverage package that we got as a perk, but dinner was where it really shined.  We both ordered champagne and after the sommelier saw we had the premium package, he simply kept coming by and refilling our glasses all evening and we never had to worry about what we were spending.

There’s no question that had we paid full price for the drink package we would never make it pay, but as a part of a perk package, we feel it’s definitely worth it for us.

We've had smooth seas, but there’s definitely motion in this cabin.  I don’t know if it’s because I’m more sensitive to it, or because we’re on deck 10 so fairly high up, but we can feel minor vibrations and light rocking motion.  None of it is terrible, and definitely not making me motion sick, but it’s worth mentioning for anyone considering an SV cabin who is concerned about motion.

Today we’ll explore the ship more, but we’re definitely loving the less traditional aspects of Edge, especially the smaller MDR concept...it was lovely sitting in a smaller restaurant rather than a huge MDR like on other ships, which I never enjoyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2