Current from cruisers on Viking Sky in the Caribbean report several instances of Engine related problems and slower speeds

grimsbybud

As late as 20 minutes ago ((Monday, Jam 20th) comets are being posted about Engine related issues with the Viking Sky forcing slower cruise speed and resulting missed scheduled port stops. 

Also, tug boat assist needed to leave Miami.

Anyone have any info on this issue with our ship (June 3 Iceland's Majestic...)??

5 hours ago, grimsbybud said:

As late as 20 minutes ago ((Monday, Jam 20th) comets are being posted about Engine related issues with the Viking Sky forcing slower cruise speed and resulting missed scheduled port stops. 

Also, tug boat assist needed to leave Miami.

Anyone have any info on this issue with our ship (June 3 Iceland's Majestic...)??

Suggest you read the very good post done by chengkp75, with his excellent discussion of other's comments - particularly regarding propulsion systems and the use of tugs.

Thanks, CC Wine Lover (you sound a person after our own hearts , living as we do in Niagara Wine Country with a Cellar built by my son( -foxwoodwinecellars.com)

I have, need, read the knowledgeable post by chengkp75. Excellent insight into the operation of the propulsion system on Viking Ocean Ships, among others. Also, and what worries us  (June 3 out of Bergen to Iceland ), is that engine overhaul, or change if needed, is not easy as they the ship is built around them once they're installed before launch.  

Major repairs/replacements/  may mean that, with all the ships of the line booked to fulfill planned (and sold) itineraries, something in the scheduling will have to give.

And, we are not keen on sailing a boat with inherent, recurring, issues with propulsion system, or any other!!!

B

FYI for all who are aware of the "issues" with Viking Sky and problems with propulsion/cruise speed, Ports of Call missed and need to use TUG BOAT exiting Maimi.

In response to my e-mail query to tellusviking @vikingcruises.com I received a telephone call from Meghan (SP?) at 7:02 PM EDT. She reported that, in consultation with people in the Viking Ship Management area that there was, indeed an issue (technical, in her words from the person she spoke to, and the same language in the notes left in rooms on board the previous cruise).. Megan told me that Viking wants us to know that the issue inconvenient for a time but had been rectified.

I asked her about the reported (on Cruise Critic) that on two cruises in mid/later January missed ports of call and she said two were missed, (one each) and were weather (Winds) related.

In short, she told me that the Viking Sky is on a cruise as right now and is proceeding normally without any difficulties and all will be clear sailing for June 3 departures, and all in between.

I have her number and extension should anyone was, but be aware that there are people monitoring the "tellusviking@vikingcruises.com"

We'll see.

Any comments?

B