Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
TMLAalum

Dordogne River beyond Libourne

To the best of my knowledge river cruises only navigate the Dordogne as far as Libourne....

We will be on a land trip to the Dordogne region in the area near Perigueux & Sarlat-la-Caneda, If any Cruise Critic member has stayed in this area, what suggestions might you have for a central location to stay for 4 nights as a "hub & spoke". Are there tips for things that we should not miss- we are for sure wanting to visit a prehistoric cave sight, but which one?

Without a doubt stay in Sarlat. It’s a beautiful historic town with a famous market (Wednesday and Saturday) and close to many of the top attractions in Périgord. You’ll want to spend some time exploring Sarlat itself. Périgueux is interesting enough but too far from most of the places you will want to visit in 4 days.

There are many prehistoric caves near Sarlat, particularly in the Vézère valley. Even though the original cave at Lascaux has been closed to visitors for many years, there are reproductions you can visit.  I visited Lascaux II and was most impressed, but recently Lascaux IV has been opened and is apparently stunning.  If you want to visit an original cave, the Font-du-Gaume in les Éysies-de-Tayac is open, but restricts the number of visitors daily. You need to reserve well in advance. Also in the Vézère valley is La Roque St-Christophe, a large open cave overlooking the river which was inhabited from Neolithic times until the Middle Ages. It’s well worth a visit.

Aside from caves, the Dordogne is known for its castles and fortified towns (bastides), many of which were built during the Hundred Years’ War and often changed hands between the French and English. You’ll certainly want to visit Domme, La Roque-Gageac, Beynac and Castelnaud among others. You also might want to take a short cruise on the Dordogne river from La Roque-Gageac in a gabarre, the traditional cargo boat. 

There’s much more a bit further afield that I could mention but your four days will go by quickly without your venturing too far beyond Sarlat. 

@laverendrye & @Host Jazzbeau

Thank you  both so much. I knew I could count on Cruise Critic members to help me out! 

Your blog, Host Jazzbeau, is helpful beyond the Dordogne because we will be visiting Rouen when the Jewel of the Seas is in LeHavre, and after the Dordogne, spend a week in Paris which will include a day trip to Giverny. From Paris it's back to the US.