Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SRQMom

Veteran's Discount???

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I have posted this before. The VA now issues ID cards for veterans with Honorables who are not eligible for retired military IS's or VA-health-benefit cards. The purpose is, among other things, to help vets prove eligibility for retailers' discounts without having to present your (likely disintegrating by now) DD 214.

 

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Thanks so much for posting this.  My hubby will be applying for this ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I have posted this before. The VA now issues ID cards for veterans with Honorables who are not eligible for retired military IS's or VA-health-benefit cards. The purpose is, among other things, to help vets prove eligibility for retailers' discounts without having to present your (likely disintegrating by now) DD 214.

 

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Thanks mayleeman!!!  I will share this information with other non-retired veterans I know.  Great info!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the widow of retired military ?  We just booked a cruise and a friend, who is a retired military widow was given the discount.  She was told to bring the military ID card with her to present at embarkation.  I hope the Celebrity agent was correct when giving her this discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CGBanks said:

What about the widow of retired military ?  We just booked a cruise and a friend, who is a retired military widow was given the discount.  She was told to bring the military ID card with her to present at embarkation.  I hope the Celebrity agent was correct when giving her this discount.

Should be correct. This is from a screenshot I took last spring:

 

 

20200122_113101.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CGBanks said:

Mayleeman ~ Thank you so much !!

You are quite welcome. I hope it alleviates some anxiety.

 

I researched all that because I got a nice military discount when I booked, and wanted to know what we needed since they threaten to charge "prevailing rate" if you can't prove it. Of course, like so many, we were not asked to provide any proof. I had my original DD 214 with me (I still haven't applied for my card!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did a msc cruise and got ten percent discount on cruise all I had to do was show dd214, didn’t know about celebrity discount. Star vista which does music charters offers 5 percent discount for veterans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I have posted this before. The VA now issues ID cards for veterans with Honorables who are not eligible for retired military IS's or VA-health-benefit cards. The purpose is, among other things, to help vets prove eligibility for retailers' discounts without having to present your (likely disintegrating by now) DD 214.

 

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Nice to know, thanks for the info.  I would still feel guilty about asking for vets benefits since my "service" consisted of 6 weekends of hiding in a class room with a fake lesson plan up so we could all nap and two weeks of alternately hiding in our air conditioned trailer with that same fake lesson plan and a sign on the door that said "Processing Film, Do Not Enter".....and just walking around and making pictures of the rest of the unit working.

It was the end of the Vietnam era and we all knew the unit was so unprepared they would be calling up women and children before us..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with the Military Discount has been 5-6 months out when Celebrity offered Military/resident discounts to fill up vacant staterooms.  I just called my TA to have her readjust the price.

 

Lately, I was surprised recently when I went on to book a Celebrity Med cruise about 6-8 months ago, and they were offering $100 up front as a military discount.  🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

My experience with the Military Discount has been 5-6 months out when Celebrity offered Military/resident discounts to fill up vacant staterooms.  I just called my TA to have her readjust the price.

 

Lately, I was surprised recently when I went on to book a Celebrity Med cruise about 6-8 months ago, and they were offering $100 up front as a military discount.  🍷

That's what bothers me about answering some questions, no matter the subject matter. Celebrity is consistently inconsistent. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mayleeman said:

You are quite welcome. I hope it alleviates some anxiety.

 

I researched all that because I got a nice military discount when I booked, and wanted to know what we needed since they threaten to charge "prevailing rate" if you can't prove it. Of course, like so many, we were not asked to provide any proof. I had my original DD 214 with me (I still haven't applied for my card!)

I just remembered my driver's license also has "Veteran" printed on it. So I guess I've got it covered with 3 different ways of proving I'm a veteran. Just never had to prove it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the new  DMV federal Real ID for driving, entering federal & military installations  and for boarding airlines will this be acceptable by Celebrity?

 

This new ID has Veteran stamp on it.

Edited by cruise47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruise47 said:

I have the new  DMV federal Real ID for driving, entering federal & military installations  and for boarding airlines will this be acceptable by Celebrity?

 

This new ID has Veteran stamp on it.

 

Allegedly, it means you provided proof of veteran status in getting your DL. Our state DMV would not accept a copy of the DD 214, only an original if no military ID was presented. So it should be ok.

 

But I would fold up a copy of the 214 and keep it inside your passport or wallet just to be safe. If a boarding agent suddenly gets the word to be stricter, or if you get someone who has no training in the various aspects of Real ID, it isn't worth a big delay at the pier if one extra piece of paper can avoid it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I renewed drivers license a couple of years ago , I supplied dd214 and now have veteran on DL. Lots of companies offering discounts like Lowe’s which gives us ten percent off and some good parking spots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowe’s and Home Depot gives 10% discounts on all purchase for veterans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruise47 said:

Lowe’s and Home Depot gives 10% discounts on all purchase for veterans.

Not so fast! HD only gives the every-day  discount to veterans who are retirees, active duty, or eligible for VA Health Benefits (VAHB card). HD gives veterans like myself (Hon Disch outside those categories) the discount only on Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Veterans Day (and maybe sales days around those holidays)

 

Lowe's gives it to all active duty and veterans every day. You have to register.

 

This site has the details for these and more:

 

https://themilitarywallet.com/home-depot-lowes-10-military-discount/

Edited by mayleeman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Not so fast! HD only gives the every-day  discount to veterans who are retirees, active duty, or eligible for VA Health Benefits (VAHB card). HD gives veterans like myself (Hon Disch outside those categories) the discount only on Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Veterans Day (and maybe sales days around those holidays)

 

Lowe's gives it to all active duty and veterans every day. You have to register.

 

This site has the details for these and more:

 

https://themilitarywallet.com/home-depot-lowes-10-military-discount/

That's why I only shop at Lowes.  Register and them ask for the Mil Discount at the register and give them your phone number under which it is registered.  🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our local HD gives my hubby the veterans discount.   He only has an associate of graduates card from the AFA and he is given the %10 off in the store.  Not able to use online though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cheeseclan To be in the AFAOG as an alum member, he entered active duty, didn't he? Did he not get a discharge?

 

Anyway, I am not surprised to hear of the accommodation. One of our local HD's managers gave a 10% markdown privately to any veteran every day until he got in trouble for it. Harder for them to do it now, when the discount has to be entered using a special code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just saying that he only has the card and the dd214 and gets the discount at HD.  Yes he did enter the afa on active duty.  He separated after 8 years so no ID card. 
 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, from your first post I thought he just had the AFA card. The 214 would certainly get the discount from any HD manager who agrees the Lowe's policy is better. The assoc of graduates card probably would work lots of places by itself since he wouldn't be a member in good standing unless Honorably discharged after his service. I doubt they welcome back any grads who found themselves Dishonorably discharged and in Leavenworth!

 

Funny story: My wife worked at the VA and got a discount once when a store manager said "any VA card" and she asked, "Including employee IDs?" and they said yes. I stopped her from doing it again!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our local HD gives the veteran discount every day now in the

Tidewater Virginia area.

Edited by cruise47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...