Uber in Santiago, Chile Safe?

tango223

We will in Santiago Chile in February and wanted to use Uber while we are there.  I'm wondering how safe it is to use Uber there.  Anyone have any experience using Uber there?

Thank you in advance for any replies

1 hour ago, tango223 said:

We will in Santiago Chile in February and wanted to use Uber while we are there.  I'm wondering how safe it is to use Uber there.  Anyone have any experience using Uber there?

Thank you in advance for any replies

Here's an article from almost a year ago:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-chile-insight/riding-with-uncle-diego-ubers-wild-drive-for-growth-in-chile-idUSKCN1R00BF

If you really want to use them I'd contact Uber and see what the status is now. We were recently in Buenos Aires and were told that they're not real popular so we used the "radio taxis." Just flagged them down 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

We used Uber from our hotel in Providencia into town without any issues.  Used WiFi calling from the hotel.  Driver arrived in about 8 minutes and we paid $3.24 US for the trip. Would have considered it for the airport but hotel arranged a private cab at reasonable price which I paid off with my leftover pesos.

We used it last month to do a winery tour of Vina Cousino Macul, an amazing tour.  I used hotel wifi to get the Uber and the winery had wifi to get it for the return to the hotel.  Easy to do.  Many Uber cars available.  No problems at all.  Just have one person sit in the front seat with the driver.  We walked everywhere else and did not use any taxis, although there are MANY of them.