cruise insurance

D & S

Just booked a cruise and looking a www.Insuremytrip.com for different companies and offers.  I found out that is you need to be evacuated from the ship that the Coast Guard does it for free to the closest hospital or medical facility.  So that being said, don't think we need a high amount for that but looking for something with a Cancel for any Reason policy.  Any suggestions.  Thank you

Honestly, call them because no one here knows your particular situation.  CFAR insurance is pricey.  And medical evacuation isn't limited to the USCG.  Suppose you have to be flown home from another port?

Just things to consider.  Their staff is really good at cutting through all the options!  For me, I go with high medical insurance coverage and high med evac.  Better safe than sorry.  I rarely get CFAR insurance.

Assuming you are near a US port, Coast Guard doesn't charge.  Elsewhere you pay.  Usually ship heads for nearest port and then that port will get a local ambulance to take you to local hospital.  Cost to fly back to US on air ambulance can be very high.  In Mexico you can't check out of the hospital until you pay your bill, and they don't take US insurance.  Other countries are similar.

As far as CFAR goes, you don't need it before final payment (and generally you haven't bought any insurance up to that point).  If you want to cover flights or hotels, if you book these independently you need to buy insurance from a separate place than the cruise line.

Think about the reasons you might cancel a cruise with less than 90 days before sailing.  This is the penalty period after final payment.  Cruise line will give you a percentage of what you paid and insurance covers the rest.  The only time you need CFAR is if the insurance excludes the reason you are cancelling.  If a hurricane is impacting the port of departure the cruise line will allow you to cancel with full refund - no insurance needed for that.

Thank you for your info, it really helps.  One of our destinations will be in Canada.  The only reason we were going to get it now is for the pre-existing clause in the first 21 day period after booking for it to be included.  (there is a 3 year rule)  Other than that we could wait like suggested.  We have very good medical coverage for medical expenses but was worried if one of us or immediate family got sick prior we would have to cancel.  On our credit card we have trip cancel and interruption coverage so that helps.  I guess my thought was focused on evacuation and cancel for any reason after the penalty period.  So confusing!!  

43 minutes ago, D & S said:

Just booked a cruise and looking a www.Insuremytrip.com for different companies and offers.  I found out that is you need to be evacuated from the ship that the Coast Guard does it for free to the closest hospital or medical facility.  So that being said, don't think we need a high amount for that but looking for something with a Cancel for any Reason policy.  Any suggestions.  Thank you

You cannot depend on the Coast Guard evacuating you.  If you get injured in a foreign country or you become very ill aboard the ship (like a heart attack) and the ship unloads you in a foreign country (much more likely than a Coast Guard rescue), you want emergency evac coverage.

I fell and broke my femur on the Symphony last year,  the life flight from the Bahamas o Fort Lauderdale was $13,500.  I had travel insurance through Royal, OnCall was the insurer.  Worth every penny.  They took care  of everything, including flights home with a nurse. 

square mouth is another online broker that we use.

trip cancellation is the most expensive component of cruise insurance.

But given how expensive onboard medical and evac could be sufficient insurance is wise

They also include trip interruption (econony class one way home), travel delays (even weather and ATC related), "missed connection" and misc protections.

It is not expensive once you remove trip cancellation.

Thank you to everyone for their info on insurance, it has helped a lot.  I see where the evac and medical can add up so it is best to get a high  amount on evac and medical.   Thats what we will do for peace of mind from Squaremouth site, good info. 

If your concern is that a family member may fall ill causing you to cancel, that should be a covered reason anyway - not requiring CFAR.  Some policies extend the pre-existing clause to non-traveling family members, but you said you were buying the policy within the time frame to get the waiver so that should not be a problem. Check the policy for covered reasons and their definition of family members to see who is covered.

Be careful about depending on your credit card for cancellation.  Check to see what they say about pre-existing conditions since you mentioned that as an issue.

As others have pointed out, in the unlikely event that you are airlifted by the Coast Guard, they only get you to land.  Your evacuation insurance pays for the rest of the required transportation such as ambulances and transportation home whether by medevac or commercial air with a nurse if necessary. Don’t dismiss it because it is an important part of your coverage.

Edited by Babr