Steve Jobs has Ruined Cruising

farmermd

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Yes, many people have commented on people whose use of devices was annoying because of loud conversations, etc.

But you must have missed the many posts where people also negatively commented on how "sad" it is to see people reading instead of talking, and condemning using devices instead of looking around, and how it is "inappropriate" to use them in a bar, etc.

The very first example by the OP attacked people who apparently were using them quietly. So you might think "the point" is more narrowly defined by your own objections, but the condemnation was broader. Otherwise, the title should be about Nokia--or perhaps Alexander Graham Bell, who started the darn talking devices in the first place.

Oh well...we all receive others' comments differently...but...I never said 'objection'...I said 'opinion...as in IMO'.  Yes, I expanded on the original post...mea culpa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mayleeman said:

The very first example by the OP attacked people who apparently were using them quietly. 

I attacked no one.  I simply had an observation about the wide use of cell phones throughout the ship, giving 3 examples to support my observation.

• Like 2

I take my ipad with me, mostly to take pictures, when I'm out patrolling on the ship. And yes, I sometimes use in the buffet or one of the bars, including the martini bar. If it bothers you, don't be afraid to leave or avoid the areas where people do use their mobile devices. I'm not changing my routine as I am not doing anything not allowed by the cruise line.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

IMO  it shows a lack of concern for others when those persons are loudly speaking through those devices,  not caring that anyone within earshot are hearing their private personal business or that they're infringing on someone else's personal space.

To be fair, I have also had the unfortunate occurrence of having my personal space invaded by people who are actually there face to face speaking very loudly to each other. Best-case they were just those people who claim to not have inside voices; worst-case they were arguing or having a heated discussion.

• Like 1

OP, you keep saying you only are making an observation of people using their iPhones and the internet in public places. But here is what doesn’t appear to be just observational in your original post: 

All of this will only get worse as internet access on ships gets faster and cheaper, ...... Part of the allure of cruising used to be a total disconnect from the world and having new conversations with different people. The allure is quickly fading...

I don’t think many would think you are just making an observation of how people are using devices in public, especially with taking photos of them doing so. And why would someone else using the internet/cell phone ‘fade the allure’ for you since You aren’t doing it. None of that really tracts. 

If you wish to lecture us, or point out that it’s inappropriate to do such things, then do so and own it. When people point out you should mind your own business, going the ‘I wasn’t. I was just making an observation’ gets a bit lost in the obvious. 

Enough. Personally, I’d not be happy if I was sitting with a friend or family and the broke out their iPad/iPhone and started checking it for an extended time, but if a group wants to sit and have a drink at a bar and check whatever they are checking, so be it. None Of My Business........or yours. 

I’m going to now go get my playing cards and head to El Bacio so I can drive another whole group of posters crazy.

Den

• Like 1

5 hours ago, farmermd said:

I attacked no one.  I simply had an observation about the wide use of cell phones throughout the ship, giving 3 examples to support my observation.

Son of a gun! I must just be stupid thinking that you chose the title of this thread!

Thank you for explaining the value-neutral meaning of "ruined"....

On 1/24/2020 at 12:03 PM, Denny01 said:

I’m doing something they don’t approve of......such as continuing to play cards in El Bacio when I finished my coffee!!

On a recent cruise on the Silhouette, I saw this one guy doing that . . .  😆😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

To be fair, I have also had the unfortunate occurrence of having my personal space invaded by people who are actually there face to face speaking very loudly to each other. Best-case they were just those people who claim to not have inside voices; worst-case they were arguing or having a heated discussion.

But often they are just people who are hard of hearing and are unaware of how loud their voices sound to people with normal hearing.

3 hours ago, fleckle said:

But often they are just people who are hard of hearing and are unaware of how loud their voices sound to people with normal hearing.

Then the hard of hearing population is considerably larger than anyone has ever known. It is still an invasion of my personal space. (As I read my dead tree book (as opposed to an ebook) so...)

People on phones (anywhere) not only can talk too loudly, they also seem to have no idea their conversations are divulging their private info to strangers. On one flight, everyone in a departure lounge at BWI was treated to a 20 minute loud harrangue by a guy who was yelling about his renovation contractor. About 35 people learned his business name, phone number, home address, how long he was going to be gone, and the info about when the contractor could get into his house.

Sometimes it is quite annoying  in any public space , esp  at the gym..  waiting rooms , etc.  Sometimes I miss phone booths...the ones where the door closed!

But  sorry to see that the tone of the thread has gone very negative.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mayleeman said:

People on phones (anywhere) not only can talk too loudly, they also seem to have no idea their conversations are divulging their private info to strangers. On one flight, everyone in a departure lounge at BWI was treated to a 20 minute loud harrangue by a guy who was yelling about his renovation contractor. About 35 people learned his business name, phone number, home address, how long he was going to be gone, and the info about when the contractor could get into his house.

I listen with glee when people read out there credit card details 

I'm 35, and I'm tethered to my devices (iPad and iPhone, with my laptop as another one at least part of the time). 

I run at least 3 businesses. It serves me well, in that I can work anywhere. It also means that I work anywhere, including on a cruise. It means I can pay for cruises at the level that I want to cruise at. It also means that I work during my cruises. For me, it literally is a difference between being on the cruise versus not ever taking one. I use headphones exclusively, step out when I need to speak on conference calls and can definitively say no one ever gets to hear the other side of a conversation I'm having. However, I do use my devices in bars, in restaurants and in my room, whether I'm cruising solo or cruising with others. I'm not willing to wait until I'm "retired" (whatever that means) to enjoy traveling and taking advantage of what the world has to offer, even if that means I have to work during vacations. 

• Like 2