Steve Jobs has Ruined Cruising

farmermd

10 minutes ago, farmermd said:

And this is a reason we have no future cruises booked, though if you read the OP, this was an observation, not a complaint.

But weird he pulled out a camera and took pix, for what purpose?

Poor Steve Jobs has been dead since 2011, not sure we should blame him for 2020 technology. 

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, farmermd said:

LMAO that's where you are wrong.  I have a camera NOT attached to a phone.

For what purpose did you pull out a camera and take pix at the Martini Bar?  Did you upload them to your laptop?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oville said:

For what purpose did you pull out a camera and take pix at the Martini Bar?  Did you upload them to your laptop?

I take pictures because I like to document my travels through photography, whether it's taking pictures of people, animals, landscapes, objects, or anything else that peaks my interest.  No laptop for me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, farmermd said:

^^ This right here ^^

My daughter was taught at an early age how to behave in a restaurant.  She was 5 days old when we took her out to dinner with us for the first time.  We never bought electronic devices to entertain her, whether in a car or a restaurant.  We talked, we observed, we taught.  She can read a map.  She can read a menu.  She can have a conversation.  

Good for you and your family!  We dine out often...on SOME occasions, Mom/Dad/each child are each engaged in their device...I thought maybe playing a game...nope....no contact with each other.  how lonely.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, farmermd said:

I take pictures because I like to document my travels through photography, whether it's taking pictures of people, animals, landscapes, objects, or anything else that peaks my interest.  No laptop for me.

Fair enough but I have to be be honest. If I’m sitting at the Martini Bar and you’re taking pictures of me I wouldn’t be happy.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Oville said:

Fair enough but I have to be be honest. If I’m sitting at the Martini Bar and you’re taking pictures of me I wouldn’t be happy.

I agree and that would be an invasion of my privacy without my permission.  The OP is lucky someone didn't grab his camera and throw it overboard, LOL

• Like 2

Have you been on a city street or a bus lately.    Why would you expect the connected generation to be any different on a ship than land.   

I don't condone anyone whether on a phone or just talking to be loud and disturbing. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have you been on a city street or a bus lately.    Why would you expect the connected generation to be any different on a ship than land.   

I don't condone anyone whether on a phone or just talking to be loud and disturbing. 

Jim, you took the words right out of my mouth. 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Globehoppers said:

Princess is taking this to the extreme.  Their "Medallion" cruises provide you with an RFID device that unlocks your cabin door and also tracks you as you travel around the ship.  It is synch'd to your smart device (Phone, iPad) so you can order drinks, "art," dinner, from anywhere on the ship.  It also offers gambling on your smart device which is likely the profit reason Princess is looking to install it on all their ships.  Don't leave home without your smart device!

Another reason not to sail with Princess.  My DH does not even have a smart phone and I only carry mine if I think I might want to take a picture.

13 hours ago, farmermd said:

Just back from our first Edge cruise and one of my observations is the now prolific use of phones throughout the ship.  I sat at the Martini Bar one afternoon and observed 4 people in a row at the bar with their noses buried in their phone, oblivious of me taking pictures of them. I observed a person on the pool deck on a sea day having a FaceTime conversation with his grandkid. Numerous times I heard the sounds of incoming text messages and emails.  All of this will only get worse as internet access on ships gets faster and cheaper, especially when it is offered as a “free” perk, and as cruise lines encourage the use of their app while onboard to get the latest schedule of activities and “chat” with fellow cruisers. As a CC Elite member, I get 90 free internet minutes. I used a total of 7 minutes on my seven day cruise, and that was only to check in for my early flight. 

Part of the allure of cruising used to be a total disconnect from the world and having new conversations with different people. The allure is quickly fading...

I totally agree.  We are in our early 70s and just never developed a love affair with our cell phones.  When we cruise, we don't even take out our cell phones at all.  My wife takes her iPad, and we get 90 minutes each free since we are elite and never use it all.  All she does is check email every few days.  I might go to the computer center and check the college football scores during Fall or the latest news. 

We enjoy meeting fellow travelers.  Most Celebrity cruisers are great travelers and we compare notes.  Also, just enjoy ourselves.  Like we do trivia when on a sea day, etc.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I agree and that would be an invasion of my privacy without my permission.  The OP is lucky someone didn't grab his camera and throw it overboard, LOL

I find myself taking a few photos on the ship that may include people.  It is hard to take such photos without including people, unless you go out at 3am.

I know you are probably kidding about grabbing his camera and throwing it overboard, since that would probably get you kicked off the cruise ship and you could be charged for assault.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

I find myself taking a few photos on the ship that may include people.  It is hard to take such photos without including people, unless you go out at 3am.

I know you are probably kidding about grabbing his camera and throwing it overboard, since that would probably get you kicked off the cruise ship and you could be charged for assault.

Of course I was joking about the camera. However if was sitting at a bar looking at my phone and some joker starts taking my picture, we would be having a serious discussion.  A couple of years a go a moron in the HAL forum took pictures of people on his cruise wearing what he considered inappropriate for the MDR and posted them on CC. He was as I remember licked off of CC over this. 

23 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

A couple of years a go a moron in the HAL forum took pictures of people on his cruise wearing what he considered inappropriate for the MDR and posted them on CC. He was as I remember licked off of CC over this. 

I remember that.  He was a Reverand.  I think he just got a time out.

I do get annoyed at people who are walking with their noses buried in their phone and expect everyone to move out of the way for them.

Edited by mafig

8 minutes ago, mafig said:

I do get annoyed at people who are walking with their noses buried in their phone and expect everyone to move out of the way for them.

It's highlarious when they walk into walls, signs or water fountains, etc.....DA's.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, Oville said:

27 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Of course I was joking about the camera. However if was sitting at a bar looking at my phone and some joker starts taking my picture, we would be having a serious discussion.  A couple of years a go a moron in the HAL forum took pictures of people on his cruise wearing what he considered inappropriate for the MDR and posted them on CC. He was as I remember licked off of CC over this. 

So help me understand - you have a reasonable expectation of privacy while sitting at a bar on a cruise ship that the general public has been invited to sail on?  Yes, I think people have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their cabins and public bathrooms/locker rooms on a ship, but not in bars, restaurants, pool areas.   And if the picture is taken in a public area, is it then illegal to post on public forums or social media?  

Just at a glance, I do not see anything in CC guidelines that prohibit posting pictures of people in public places.  If I am wrong, please correct me so I can change my habits.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farmermd said:

My daughter was taught at an early age how to behave in a restaurant.  She was 5 days old when we took her out to dinner with us for the first time.  We never bought electronic devices to entertain her, whether in a car or a restaurant.  We talked, we observed, we taught.  She can read a map.  She can read a menu.  She can have a conversation.  

And I can bet there were people at the restaurant judging you for taking a newborn infant into a restaurant and exposing her unnecessarily to a gazillion germs.

Just goes to show you, there's an opinion on everything that may or may not agree with you.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hiccups said:

And I can bet there were people at the restaurant judging you for taking a newborn infant into a restaurant and exposing her unnecessarily to a gazillion germs.

Just goes to show you, there's an opinion on everything that may or may not agree with you.

LOL that's a topic for a completely different forum that can have lot's of great discussion! Farm kid here with no allergies...

14 minutes ago, farmermd said:

So help me understand - you have a reasonable expectation of privacy while sitting at a bar on a cruise ship that the general public has been invited to sail on?

Referring back to your OP, there's a huge difference IMO between taking a photo of the Martini Bar and incidentally capturing in the photo the patrons within the bar versus specifically targeting the four individuals using their cell phones.

Do you think it would be perfectly acceptable for a complete stranger to wander over and make an audio recording of a quiet conversation you and your wife are having while sitting by yourselves in the bar?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Referring back to your OP, there's a huge difference IMO between taking a photo of the Martini Bar and incidentally capturing in the photo the patrons within the bar versus specifically targeting the four individuals using their cell phones.

Do you think it would be perfectly acceptable for a complete stranger to wander over and make an audio recording of a quiet conversation you and your wife are having while sitting by yourselves in the bar?

Ah now see - there are laws concerning audio recording in public without consent.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Exactly, there is huge difference of taking a picture of a room with people in it, over focusing your picture on 4 people sitting at the bar using their smart phones for the purpose of humiliation on a blog somewhere.

• Like 6