Steve Jobs has Ruined Cruising

farmermd

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Gosh, I wonder if doing a crossword puzzle is now a no no.   

Then it would probably be "Newspapers have ruined cruising."

i.e. not something that invented them, not something actually involved, but just something that made use of a related item to the underlying issue.

• Haha 1

Regarding the taking of photos,  the last cruise contract I read said said the line could take anyone's photo and use it how they wished.  Getting angry about being photographed in a public place is a bit like getting angry because someone is using an electronic device.  But we all do have our personal peeves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HD2003 said:

Let people do as they will and only worry about yourself.  My last cruise I took my granddaughter because my husband was not feeling well so we video instant messaged him every morning to check in and to rest his mind that his wife and granddaughter were fine.  Please do not judge people when you are not in their shoes.

That's fine as long as you did the face timing from your stateroom and not from public areas where you would be annoying other passengers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Regarding the taking of photos,  the last cruise contract I read said said the line could take anyone's photo and use it how they wished.  Getting angry about being photographed in a public place is a bit like getting angry because someone is using an electronic device.  But we all do have our personal peeves.

Reread that. THE LINE can take photos. Not a random creeper who (at least to our knowledge) is not a currently working employee of “the line”) taking pictures of people without their knowledge - and in this case specifically for the point of shaming. That is not randomly being in the background of someone’s picture. There is a huge difference.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, miched said:

Give the patrons at the Martini bar a break.  They may have been looking on Celebrity’s App looking at the nights menu or the nights activities.   Or in my case looking at Drinks Free that is a app  with drink recipes to see what o may want to try next.

No matter want they were doing I don’t care.   To me it is better than a loud drunk party of 4 or 6 that wants every one the ship to know that they are having a great time with  very loud talking, cackling, and then yelling out to the BT at the other end of the bar that they need another, or yelling to talk to others at the bar that don’t really want to be involved with the obnoxious party.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I guess I missed the point of this convo.....wasn't it the 'loud' interactions while on a device - phone or otherwise?  In my mind, look all you want at your screens...Martini bar or WHERE EVER - just be quiet and aware of others privacy and contentment.  I'm somewhat of a techie nerd and use my tablet for books, email updates, etc on vacation and wouldn't be without it.  BTW.... I agree with the assessment that loud parties are annoying  which also falls into the 'be aware of others around you' comments.

Edited by oceangoer2

23 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

But it sounds like the OP was deliberately taking photos of the people on their phones, which at the very least is not nice - and rather rude (since so many are concerned with the perceived rudeness of the phone users).  

Taking photos around the ship - for the purpose of taking photos of the SHIP - is far different from taking photos of strangers because you don’t like their behavior.  

I agree that taking closeup photos of people like that is rude, but not illegal.

https://legalbeagle.com/8581945-illegal-pictures-people-permission.html

In public areas, you are fair game for photos from others.  However, in places like toilets or similar private places, there is an expectation of privacy.

• Like 1

While the Medallion device can locate you, so too a cell phone.  I do want to point out that the person on the desk did not reveal the cabin number, only that they were "in their cabin"

Most new passengers are taken back when approaching an unknown employee behind a monitor who suddenly says, "Good evening...." adding your given name.  Or passing a monitor to see your photo on screen.  All this from a battery operated device designed to be worn around the neck on a lanyard or as a piece of Jewelry (which it resembles)  your full name engraved on the circumference.   

Fortunately it does not emit any sound.....yet

OP makes a valid claim.  Bars and Lounges are meant to be Social settings.  You are not FORCED to socialize, but they are indeed social settings.  Walking into a lounge full of people face buried in a phone is a bit offputting.  But that said, so long as their device is not making any distracting noises people are free to enjoy.  It does change the atmosphere though, undoubtedly.  

At least Celebrity doesn't have the same problem as Carnival with people cranking up bluetooth speakers as loud as they go until their rap or autotuned fake country music is blaring 

• Like 3

It is indeed quite sad the way technology has eroded face to face interaction to some degree.  I shake my head when I go on a college campus and see a half dozen students walking "together" with their faces all buried in their phones.  I live in central Florida (pretty much the world's vacation capital) and see entire families buried in technology rather than interacting with each other or even looking around at the park/attraction they've paid so much to visit  I pass min-vans of families with everyone staring at a phone or tablet rather than watching the world around them or talking with each other.  What happened to sharing stories, playing car bingo or "I spy" or the endless license plate games you can make up?  Sure, it's "their business" to some extent, but too much of the current generation is developing a serious addition to technology and not developing their personal interaction skills.  These kids are our future work force and future leaders.  I want them to be able to embrace and effectively use technology (heck, that's what my husband and I both do for a living), but I also want to them to develop social and interpersonal communication skills as well.  My son-in-law works a YMCA's children's program (before/after school care, summer camp, etc.) and he says that it's downright scary how resistant the kids are to putting away or turning in their electronics when it's time to do so.  Some actually freak out to some extent, almost like a drug addict... "NO!  I HAVE TO HAVE IT!  I NEED IT!  PLEASE, I NEEEED IT!"  Ouch!

I do understand that some people are required to be more online while traveling, but that's not generally going to be entire families, and a headset or ear buds are generally the way to go if you need to take a call or want to watch a video or engage in a video call with someone in a public area.  The person who spoke about electronic gadget etiquette was on target.  Sure you have the right to immerse yourself in technology, whether by necessity or choice, but your right to engage in your electronics stops when it infringes on my right to enjoy my cruise without a loud Facetime or Skype conversation (and without headphones/buds, they DO tend to be louder than a normal conversation), video or video game nearby.  A lot of people I know have Kindles or tablets that they use for reading, but they don't have them set to read aloud to them without headphones/buds.

In the past, we've cruised without a wi-fi package for several reasons.  First, we didn't WANT to be available for work calls (we gave family and pet/house-sitters the Celebrity emergency phone numbers, of course).  Second, the cost was ridiculous.  Third, we have T-Mobile and have been able to do quick email checks, text the pet/house-sitter to ensure all is well, and post a few pics to Facebook easily in every port once we've gotten away from the ship.  For our next couple of cruises, we've landed packages that pretty much included the wi-fi at no charge and honestly, I plan to consciously ensure it doesn't spoil that "getting away from it all" freedom I've felt on our previous cruises.  I will still remain unavailable as far as my job is concerned, and I don't plan to "stay connected" throughout the day, checking Facebook, email or Twitter, when I could be hanging with friends, making new ones, enjoying shows/music, etc. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SunsetPoint said:

It is indeed quite sad the way technology has eroded face to face interaction to some degree.  I shake my head when I go on a college campus and see a half dozen students walking "together" with their faces all buried in their phones.  I live in central Florida (pretty much the world's vacation capital) and see entire families buried in technology rather than interacting with each other or even looking around at the park/attraction they've paid so much to visit  I pass min-vans of families with everyone staring at a phone or tablet rather than watching the world around them or talking with each other.  What happened to sharing stories, playing car bingo or "I spy" or the endless license plate games you can make up?  Sure, it's "their business" to some extent, but too much of the current generation is developing a serious addition to technology and not developing their personal interaction skills.  These kids are our future work force and future leaders.  I want them to be able to embrace and effectively use technology (heck, that's what my husband and I both do for a living), but I also want to them to develop social and interpersonal communication skills as well.  My son-in-law works a YMCA's children's program (before/after school care, summer camp, etc.) and he says that it's downright scary how resistant the kids are to putting away or turning in their electronics when it's time to do so.  Some actually freak out to some extent, almost like a drug addict... "NO!  I HAVE TO HAVE IT!  I NEED IT!  PLEASE, I NEEEED IT!"  Ouch!

I do understand that some people are required to be more online while traveling, but that's not generally going to be entire families, and a headset or ear buds are generally the way to go if you need to take a call or want to watch a video or engage in a video call with someone in a public area.  The person who spoke about electronic gadget etiquette was on target.  Sure you have the right to immerse yourself in technology, whether by necessity or choice, but your right to engage in your electronics stops when it infringes on my right to enjoy my cruise without a loud Facetime or Skype conversation (and without headphones/buds, they DO tend to be louder than a normal conversation), video or video game nearby.  A lot of people I know have Kindles or tablets that they use for reading, but they don't have them set to read aloud to them without headphones/buds.

In the past, we've cruised without a wi-fi package for several reasons.  First, we didn't WANT to be available for work calls (we gave family and pet/house-sitters the Celebrity emergency phone numbers, of course).  Second, the cost was ridiculous.  Third, we have T-Mobile and have been able to do quick email checks, text the pet/house-sitter to ensure all is well, and post a few pics to Facebook easily in every port once we've gotten away from the ship.  For our next couple of cruises, we've landed packages that pretty much included the wi-fi at no charge and honestly, I plan to consciously ensure it doesn't spoil that "getting away from it all" freedom I've felt on our previous cruises.  I will still remain unavailable as far as my job is concerned, and I don't plan to "stay connected" throughout the day, checking Facebook, email or Twitter, when I could be hanging with friends, making new ones, enjoying shows/music, etc. 

Very well said!  👏🏼

As an owner of 3 business, I have empowered my employees to make decisions on my behalf so I can enjoy my vacation.  I leave the phone number of the insurance agent in the event anything burns down or there are any serious accidents - call him, not me. And family members have been informed that if there are any deaths in the immediate family while I am out at sea, just put them on ice till I get back.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, julia said:

This entire thread is crazy.

OP... respectfully, get a life and stop commenting on what others may do.  Their use of electronic devices should be of NO concern to you.

No one here should "justify" or "sanctify" the use (or non use) of their electronics while on holiday.  Thank GOD we have the ability to connect or disconnect...  

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

To each their own... except for the op evidently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

OP makes a valid claim.  Bars and Lounges are meant to be Social settings.  You are not FORCED to socialize, but they are indeed social settings.  Walking into a lounge full of people face buried in a phone is a bit offputting.  But that said, so long as their device is not making any distracting noises people are free to enjoy.  It does change the atmosphere though, undoubtedly.  

At least Celebrity doesn't have the same problem as Carnival with people cranking up bluetooth speakers as loud as they go until their rap or autotuned fake country music is blaring 

Would having your face buried in a book be off putting? Some people may enjoy a drink while they are reading and should feel free to do that and not socialize.  Not everyone is an extravert and may not want to engage in conversation but they may like the atmosphere of the lounge and may read instead of talking.  We should not worry about what others are doing and enjoy our cruises in the way we want to.  I use an e reader and will have my face buried in it a lot on my month long cruise in March.  It is the only time I get to myself and I intend to take full advantage of it whenever and wherever I want to on ship.   Heck, my 93 year old father used the latest  iPhone and Applewatch all the time and using it kept his mind sharp.  My point is each to their own.  Happy sailings to all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

So you've never walked into a Bar or a Lounge and people have their head buried in a newspaper? or a book?  What's the difference?

• Like 1

If you want to spend a cruise on your phone that's your business, sad, but your business. I do however object to people (on vacation or not) speaking on their phones with speaker on. I don't want to listen to your calls or facetime. People tend to talk loud when doing that.  It is rude and I don't like it. Want to facetime cool...do it in your cabin or find a place where other people will not be bothered. Want to speaker your call...same.  Other than that....put your face in your phone 24/7....it's your life.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Floater4life said:

If you want to spend a cruise on your phone that's your business, sad, but your business. I do however object to people (on vacation or not) speaking on their phones with speaker on. I don't want to listen to your calls or facetime. People tend to talk loud when doing that.  It is rude and I don't like it. Want to facetime cool...do it in your cabin or find a place where other people will not be bothered. Want to speaker your call...same.  Other than that....put your face in your phone 24/7....it's your life.

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!

One clarification though (and Floater this is not specifically aimed at you, it just seems like an appropriate place to mention this).... 

Many of us generalize that when we see a lot of people on their phones we think they are all on their phones all the time.  While this is true in many cases, when there are 3000 people on a ship and you see 100 people on their phones, it may seem like 'everyone all the time' but it is a relatively small percentage. 

This being said, many people are on their phones way too much and those that use the phone speaker to facetime, call or watch videos with no regard for their surroundings need to find a secluded place to do that.

Edited by Sascol
  • Like 1

Worrying because someone uses a phone rather than a book to read. "Sad"? That is ridiculous. I carry my phone, with over 200 fiction and nonfiction books and numerous saved magazine articles, as well as movies using close-captions, rather than several pounds of bulk so I can read as the mood fits. I have also used it in restaurants to edit photos, and compose poetry for my wife. And stories for my preschool grandson who lives 4500 miles away so I can read them to him in the few weeks available every 18 months or so. (Writing in pubs/inns/cafes predated phones by hundreds of years, methinks.) I have also engaged hundreds of people in conversation in these settings, often about what I am doing. Would anyone complain if they saw a copy of Rick Atkinson's WWII series? Or if I used pens and pads of paper?

The tool I use, which affects you in no possible way, is sad because you associate it with other uses that intrude on your quietude??? Your limited imagination as to what is a phone's "proper" use,  or the location in which I should look at it, fortunately does not constrain mine.

Edited by mayleeman
Not directed to the immediately preceding post!
  • Like 5

Just now, Sascol said:

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE.

One clarification though (an Floater I am not specifically aimed at you, it just seems like an appropriate place to mention this).... 

Many of us generalize that when we see a lot of people on their phones we think they are all on their phones all the time.  While this is true in many cases, when there are 3000 people on a ship and you see 100 people on their phones, it may seem like 'everyone all the time' but it is a relatively small percentage. 

This being said, many people are on their phones way too much and those that use the phone speaker to facetime, call or watch videos with no regard for their surroundings need to find a secluded place to do that.

How about the people in the MDR, getting their moneys worth out of their drink pack, and talking so loud, that it's more like a sports bar, not a place to enjoy a meal? Noise is noise, it makes no difference what's causing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grandgeezer said:

How about the people in the MDR, getting their moneys worth out of their drink pack, and talking so loud, that it's more like a sports bar, not a place to enjoy a meal? Noise is noise, it makes no difference what's causing it.

I would not disagree with that statement at all.  Electronic noise is just an amplified version of what you are referencing except it has the added bonus of sharp, tinny sound that cuts through the air like a knife. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Floater4life said:

If you want to spend a cruise on your phone that's your business, sad, but your business.

If you want to spend a cruise giving yourself melanoma and liver damage at the same time, that's your business. (Don't forget, there's also a special place for your lung cancer needs.)

If you want to spend a cruise staring like a zombie into the bright, shiny, loud screen of a ... video poker or slot machine, that's your business.

See? Flip it any direction and it's just plain rude and judgmental. 

Or are we to assume that the only virtuous cruising activity is genteel conversation with strangers, kept to a polite volume?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, perditax said:

If you want to spend a cruise giving yourself melanoma and liver damage at the same time, that's your business. (Don't forget, there's also a special place for your lung cancer needs.)

If you want to spend a cruise staring like a zombie into the bright, shiny, loud screen of a ... video poker or slot machine, that's your business.

See? Flip it any direction and it's just plain rude and judgmental. 

Or are we to assume that the only virtuous cruising activity is genteel conversation with strangers, kept to a polite volume?

Since the TOPIC of this thread was phones my comments were pertaining to phones. If you would like to chat about melanoma, liver damage or casino activities lets do it. I would be happy to give my opinion of said things if the topic is morphing to those as well. I look forward. You have a lovely day and stay out of the sun.

Edited by Floater4life
  • Like 1

@Floater4life I thought the topic was how cruises have been ruined by Steve Jobs because of phones, and the language used reveals that some people get judgmental seeing other people using phones on cruises beyond some acceptable level. 

The post you just responded to simply made the point about how there are other ways people act or things they do, that like viewing phones also can be described in ways that are judgmental, demonstrating quite aptly how rude it is for people to comment in such a condemnatory fashion. 

a·nal·o·gy

noun
  1. a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification

One reason we got into cruising, was to really get away from work. At one company I worked for, my boss was called back from his ski vacation because of some 'emergency' back at the office. He was actually on the . slopes when his boss called. Well he hurried back and his boss could not recall exactly what the issue was. Anyway, when we started cruising, one of the benefits was that it was nearly impossible for the office to contact me. Yes not completely impossible but very expensive.... It was a polite way of saying... dont bug me on my time. A bit passive aggressive, I suppose... but it allowed me a week of peace without the office expecting me to check in.  Now that I am retired I have stuck with the no contact or at least limited contact rule. We just use the 90 minute internet benefit of Elite to check emails a couple of times to make sure all is well back at home. 

I recall being in St Thomas at one of the restaurants overlooking the harbor... near us were 4 people all glued to their phones... completely missing out on the view. I would like to think that they were simply taking advantage of the wifi... but it looks odd to someone from a time past....

• Like 1