Steve Jobs has Ruined Cruising

farmermd

6 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I agree sort of.  I don't LIKE it, but there is no expectation of privacy in a public place.  Not really much you can do about it.  Technically, I can stand on the sidewalk and take pictures in your window. As long as I'm on public property or right of way, there's nothing you can do about it.  And if I choose to post it online, you can consider me a jerk (I would!), but I won't be in trouble for it.

Yep, this explains it for you.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:08 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Reread that. THE LINE can take photos. Not a random creeper who (at least to our knowledge) is not a currently working employee of “the line”) taking pictures of people without their knowledge - and in this case specifically for the point of shaming. That is not randomly being in the background of someone’s picture. There is a huge difference.

It seems that some people don’t see the difference between just catching people in your photos when you are taking photos of the general area or something else, and deliberately taking photos of strangers for dishonorable purposes.

None of this is technically illegal (though taking photos of strangers without their permission IS illegal in some countries), it is rude.  People who do take photos as a profession or a serious hobby would rarely take a photo of strangers without asking permission - at least the ones I have known.  It’s just common courtesy.

Expectation of privacy  is a legal term when determining these things, but even in a public place, I think one should expect not to be photographed by someone except inadvertently.  I don’t think most people expect to be the SUBJECT of some random stranger’s photo. THAT is the difference!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

It seems that some people don’t see the difference between just catching people in your photos when you are taking photos of the general area or something else, and deliberately taking photos of strangers for dishonorable purposes.

None of this is technically illegal (though taking photos of strangers without their permission IS illegal in some countries), it is rude.  People who do take photos as a profession or a serious hobby would rarely take a photo of strangers without asking permission - at least the ones I have known.  It’s just common courtesy.

Expectation of privacy  is a legal term when determining these things, but even in a public place, I think one should expect not to be photographed by someone except inadvertently.  I don’t think most people expect to be the SUBJECT of some random stranger’s photo. THAT is the difference!

Exactly. Inadvertent is going to happen (heck, I live in NYC. I'm sure I'm in the background of a number of random pictures). It's the intentional taking of a picture - in this case for the point of public shaming - that is if not illegal then at lease extremely rude. 

On 1/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, jean87510 said:

Probably not. We unfortunately still work so husband needs to work from ship so that we can go on these great vacations. I can go without the bells and whistles of the slides and zip lines. I wonder how many of you asking for us tech people to give up our devices would cruise in an inside cabin or give up your drink package?

From a Senior Techno Nerd -   We each have our individual tastes, likes and dislikes and what we consider a must.   While I am now retired I only need to bring one laptop with me and travel with more electronics than most.   Just ask iain who is the polar opposite.

image.png.4c99200e7a882d3b976e3a51117b842e.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I think the reference by @mom to the "general" form of "you" signaled that her post was an extension of, not disagreement with, your point. As if to make your sentence read, "We did not see an overuse of phones, and, anyway, how could anyone ever measure what "overuse" is without shadowing people 24 hrs a day?"

Thanks, I misread.🙃

• Like 1

So the OP thinks Steve Jobs  ruined cruising because so many cruisers now have their faces in their phones surfing or connecting with others over the internet thingy.

....... and he is compelled to discuss it on an internet bulletin board thingy............🤔

I’ll not go through all 9 pages, so not sure if this has been noted, but it would be interesting to hear where the OP thinks they can vacation that won’t have others using the internet/cell lines in public places. My guess is the only places would be where there is no internet or cell phone signals, and of course when the OP steps into a local restaurant/bar/etc near those places, there’s an excellent chance the establishment has a ‘signal’ for common use and.........yup, people sitting there with their phones out. 

And yes, my wife has given me ‘the look’ when I pulled out my phone to check it In public places. Life in the late 20th and the 21st Century. And our society has gotten more coarse and inconsiderate, but I work at (or attempt to do so) not looking around judging others’ actions. Heck, I’ll look around and there will be someone with very bad manners taking a photo of me because they think I’m doing something they don’t approve of......such as continuing to play cards in El Bacio when I finished my coffee!! (I thought I’d toss that one in so we can all start complaining about that perennial ***** and add another 200 posts).

Den

• Like 1

When expressing my dislike for passengers who roam about the bar, deck, everywhere really chatting away on something attached to their ear and totally misunderstanding the meaning of long distance in their use of volume of speech, one shipmate simply said "Oh the turret callers".  Seemed definitive 

It is sad that some people are addicted to internet.  Just took a cruise on a cruise line ( not Celebrity) that had very poor WiFi. It also was very expensive. My AT&T plan didn’t work on the ship. Turned my phone off, put it in the safe, and did not use it for the entire cruise. At first, it seemed strange to disconnect. By the end of the cruise(14 days), I didn’t care about missing WiFi. It was a pleasure not seeing people looking down at their phones.  People were friendly, talked to lots of guests, and really enjoyed being disconnected. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 9:41 PM, farmermd said:

Just back from our first Edge cruise and one of my observations is the now prolific use of phones throughout the ship.  I sat at the Martini Bar one afternoon and observed 4 people in a row at the bar with their noses buried in their phone, oblivious of me taking pictures of them. I observed a person on the pool deck on a sea day having a FaceTime conversation with his grandkid. Numerous times I heard the sounds of incoming text messages and emails.  All of this will only get worse as internet access on ships gets faster and cheaper, especially when it is offered as a “free” perk, and as cruise lines encourage the use of their app while onboard to get the latest schedule of activities and “chat” with fellow cruisers. As a CC Elite member, I get 90 free internet minutes. I used a total of 7 minutes on my seven day cruise, and that was only to check in for my early flight. 

Part of the allure of cruising used to be a total disconnect from the world and having new conversations with different people. The allure is quickly fading...

image.jpeg.2efe20667868772d5f0f8c9fe4155a65.jpeg

Welcome to 2020.  

On 1/20/2020 at 10:12 PM, hawk/hornfan said:

I get it, it is their cruise and can spend it how they like. Buuuutttt, the whole purpose of places like the Martini Bar is to SOCIALIZE with other members of the cruise.  Sitting at the bar on your phone defeats that purpose. Find a comfy chair away from the bar and be glued to your phone. Will it affect my cruise no, just seems rude. IMHO, flame away.

Where in the cruise contract does it say that the purpose of the bar is to socialize?  I want to go to the bar and have a drink with my DH and actually not necessarily speak to anyone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

It is sad that some people are addicted to internet.  Just took a cruise on a cruise line ( not Celebrity) that had very poor WiFi. It also was very expensive. My AT&T plan didn’t work on the ship. Turned my phone off, put it in the safe, and did not use it for the entire cruise. At first, it seemed strange to disconnect. By the end of the cruise(14 days), I didn’t care about missing WiFi. It was a pleasure not seeing people looking down at their phones.  People were friendly, talked to lots of guests, and really enjoyed being disconnected. 

darned kids these days.  There's only one way to enjoy life. My way.  Shame on other people for living differently. For shame

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

Where in the cruise contract does it say that the purpose of the bar is to socialize?  I want to go to the bar and have a drink with my DH and actually not necessarily speak to anyone else. 

I have no problem with that, but don't be offended or pu offt when other passengers try to engage you in conversation. And also not in the cruise contract... you may not try engage others in conversation at a bar, lest they be offended or intruded upon! peace

Edited by hawk/hornfan

I'm very grateful that internet access has become affordable on cruises. I was recently on a cruise when my mother's husband was hospitalized. He does the food shopping, as she isn't able. She doesn't drive or use a computer or cell phone. Using wifi calling to speak with her, and using the Instacart app, I was able to do her grocery shopping from my deck chair. I was able to solve many problems that week using wifi calling. I also booked a cruise online on a different cruiseline than I was on. And last year my husband was able to speak with his doctor to get CAT scan results and schedule a biopsy while at sea.

So I'm sorry if you don't like seeing and hearing people on their devices, but some of what we are doing is really important to us or our loved ones.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, royalcruz said:

I'm very grateful that internet access has become affordable on cruises. I was recently on a cruise when my mother's husband was hospitalized. He does the food shopping, as she isn't able. She doesn't drive or use a computer or cell phone. Using wifi calling to speak with her, and using the Instacart app, I was able to do her grocery shopping from my deck chair. I was able to solve many problems that week using wifi calling. I also booked a cruise online on a different cruiseline than I was on. And last year my husband was able to speak with his doctor to get CAT scan results and schedule a biopsy while at sea.

So I'm sorry if you don't like seeing and hearing people on their devices, but some of what we are doing is really important to us or our loved ones.

So many thoughts on this subject. I don't mind seeing people on their devices, I just don't want to hear them!! 

• Like 2

Personally I love that Steve Jobs has done this.

Without it we were limited to 7 day vacations even with several weeks of vacation allowance. Know  we can go for as long as we like as we can check emails and keep on top things.

This may not be your idea of a vacation but for us it is amazing.

10 hours ago, royalcruz said:

Some are missing the point...it's not using your device, it's hearing your device.  You absolutely had a reason to keep in touch as many of us do.  IMO  it shows a lack of concern for others when those persons are loudly speaking through those devices,  not caring that anyone within earshot are hearing their private personal business or that they're infringing on someone else's personal space.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Some are missing the point...it's not using your device, it's hearing your device.  You absolutely had a reason to keep in touch as many of us do.  IMO  it shows a lack of concern for others when those persons are loudly speaking through those devices,  not caring that anyone within earshot are hearing their private personal business or that they're infringing on someone else's personal space.

Yes, many people have commented on people whose use of devices was annoying because of loud conversations, etc.

But you must have missed the many posts where people also negatively commented on how "sad" it is to see people reading instead of talking, and condemning using devices instead of looking around, and how it is "inappropriate" to use them in a bar, etc.

The very first example by the OP attacked people who apparently were using them quietly. So you might think "the point" is more narrowly defined by your own objections, but the condemnation was broader. Otherwise, the title should be about Nokia--or perhaps Alexander Graham Bell, who started the darn talking devices in the first place.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

The very first example by the OP attacked people who apparently were using them quietly. So you might think "the point" is more narrowly defined by your own objections, but the condemnation was broader. Otherwise, the title should be about Nokia--or perhaps Alexander Graham Bell, who started the darn talking devices in the first place.

Attacked?  Condemnation?  Exaggerate much?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Actually, the OP was complaining of seeing people with their noses buried in their devices at the bar rather than conversing with other people, so this thread started out with the opinion that people should  not use devices in public at all, whether quiet or loud. 

My opinion, I will use my phone and tablet all day everywhere I choose on my cruise. I do not make calls or watch videos or listen to books or music without headphones.In fact, the headphones often save me from hearing real live conversations nearby that are loud and personal that I do not want to hear.

I do not have to chat with strangers just because we are seated in close proximity. I often do, particularly in the smoking areas, but sometimes I just want to chill.

I usually have a DSLR camera with me. Though I take pictures of the ship, which obviously has people in it, I wouldn't dream of taking a photo focused on someone nearby, as the OP said they did.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Yes, many people have commented on people whose use of devices was annoying because of loud conversations, etc.

But you must have missed the many posts where people also negatively commented on how "sad" it is to see people reading instead of talking, and condemning using devices instead of looking around, and how it is "inappropriate" to use them in a bar, etc.

deleted

Edited by oceangoer2