jazz/latino bands

tunafish

we used to love listening to those bands on board. sometimes they were trios sometimes quartets. they played some jazz, classical songs like Sinatra and of course some latin music. The best were on Cuba cruises but they were always there for other Caribbean voyages. Last 3 cruises I have not seen them on board at all. are those part of "effective management" bu HAL. Last K-dam cruise they had rolling stones venue where they blasted Nirvana to the group of perky octogenerians. I am in the 40s but still do not get the choice of such music on board. You can not dance to it and the atmosphere is nowhere resembles rock concert.

We can dance to the Rolling Stone Rock Room band no problem at all. Just hit bed after a night of Jumping Jack Flash, hey joe, my generation, The boys are back in town etc.

Certainly we would have no interest in latin music for dancing.

It takes all types and judging by the lack of space on the dance floor tonight, HAL has it right with RSRR.

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We can dance to the Rolling Stone Rock Room band no problem at all. Just hit bed after a night of Jumping Jack Flash, hey joe, my generation, The boys are back in town etc.

Certainly we would have no interest in latin music for dancing.

It takes all types and judging by the lack of space on the dance floor tonight, HAL has it right with RSRR.

you see my observation was the opposite. BB King was full of dancers, RSRR - had people but they did not stay long and dance floor was empty for the most part. but the guys i'm asking about were always in addition to the other two on big ships

9 hours ago, tunafish said:

we used to love listening to those bands on board. sometimes they were trios sometimes quartets. they played some jazz, classical songs like Sinatra and of course some latin music. The best were on Cuba cruises but they were always there for other Caribbean voyages. Last 3 cruises I have not seen them on board at all. are those part of "effective management" bu HAL. Last K-dam cruise they had rolling stones venue where they blasted Nirvana to the group of perky octogenerians. I am in the 40s but still do not get the choice of such music on board. You can not dance to it and the atmosphere is nowhere resembles rock concert.

I miss the jazz combo, too. I never heard them play Latin music, but their jazz was always great. The last time I heard one of those combos on HAL, they also played sets of dance music and the dance floor in the Ocean Bar was busy. 

On our cruise last March on the Oosterdam, not one steel drum, Caribbean music  nothing.............it was dull.  Not a fan of the BB King area and the piano bar had duo piano's with two vocalists who didn't sing well together.  Hoping the entertainment on our upcoming Veendam cruise is much better!  At least there is no BB King on there!

8 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I miss the jazz combo, too. I never heard them play Latin music, but their jazz was always great. The last time I heard one of those combos on HAL, they also played sets of dance music and the dance floor in the Ocean Bar was busy. 

exactly... they were always in ocean bar. I am surprised too because it was a very popular venue when they were in. I talked to one group about two years ago, there were 4 of them from Argentina and Peru. lady solo vocal, drums, base and keys. They told me they had a very hard time justifying their group of 4 as bosses preferred there would be 3 of them instead

19 hours ago, tunafish said:

This might be hard to hear for a HAL cruiser, but I highly recommend a cruise on an RCI Oasis Class ship.  They have Boleros, which is a dedicated Latin band club, and Jazz on 4, which is a dedicated jazz club.  Both are excellent.