Brisbae Multi Use Terminal

Hello,

would appreciate some help for the port of Brisbane....

we've just booked on Ovation of the Seas that will stop in Brisbane for the day at the Multi Use Terminal.

I read that the terminal is 23 km away from the city centre.

Has anyone docked at this terminal?

What are the public transport options (ie bus) from here to the city?

Does RCL provide shuttles? At what cost?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/tips.

Edited by whimsy7

Not sure which date you're travelling, or which terminal, but it sounds like they're referring to the Grain Wharf.

Yes, it has been docked at in the past.

There are no public transport options. The only option is taxi from the wharf, aside from cruise tours/shuttles or any private transport.

RCL does have shuttles, about $25USD return.

10 hours ago, whimsy7 said:

Hello,

would appreciate some help for the port of Brisbane....

we've just booked on Ovation of the Seas that will stop in Brisbane for the day at the Multi Use Terminal.

I read that the terminal is 23 km away from the city centre.

Has anyone docked at this terminal?

What are the public transport options (ie bus) from here to the city?

Does RCL provide shuttles? At what cost?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/tips.

It is a short Uber, about $20, ride to Wynnum North railway station. It is then a 30 minute ride into the city centre. I have used this way to get to and from Fisherman Island cruise terminal.

We were there recently on voyager.R C has a shuttle into Brisbane CBD ,I think it was about $25. It’s a fair distance,close to a hour.

We though it was a pretty unimpressive place,a industrial port away from everything.

I would take a ship tour or stay on the ship,there should be a matinee movie in 270  .
‘There’s a lot going for staying on the ship if there’s nothing you want to see.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

It is a short Uber, about $20, ride to Wynnum North railway station. It is then a 30 minute ride into the city centre. I have used this way to get to and from Fisherman Island cruise terminal.

That's useful - we're meeting friends for lunch - is Wynnum a nice suburb -  Idon't know that part of Brisbane at all. Also  we may need to find a BWS or Dan Murphys - anything in that area (Cunard -  we can carry on more booze if we want to) 

Easiest way is to get either the RCL shuttle or uber/taxi.  The grain terminal isn't close to buses or trains.  

17 minutes ago, lissie said:

That's useful - we're meeting friends for lunch - is Wynnum a nice suburb -  Idon't know that part of Brisbane at all. Also  we may need to find a BWS or Dan Murphys - anything in that area (Cunard -  we can carry on more booze if we want to) 

Wynnum is a great spot if you want to go that way.  I grew up in Wynnum so know the area (and am a bit biased)  Wynnum and Manly both have some lovely spots on the waterfront to have lunch - like fish and chips.  There are some grog shops in the area, Dan Murphys is back at the shopping centre so would be another taxi ride.

Keep in mind that if you are coming here from Oct onwards, the ship will be berthing on the other side of the river - still a long way from the cbd - but close to the airport (and the sewerage treatment plant lol)

2 minutes ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

Easiest way is to get either the RCL shuttle or uber/taxi.  The grain terminal isn't close to buses or trains.  

Wynnum is a great spot if you want to go that way.  I grew up in Wynnum so know the area (and am a bit biased)  Wynnum and Manly both have some lovely spots on the waterfront to have lunch - like fish and chips.  There are some grog shops in the area, Dan Murphys is back at the shopping centre so would be another taxi ride.

Keep in mind that if you are coming here from Oct onwards, the ship will be berthing on the other side of the river - still a long way from the cbd - but close to the airport (and the sewerage treatment plant lol)

We're be in Brissie 4 weeks today - getting a little bit excited now - though cruising was never an ambition of mine - always interesting to do something new - just hoping I can conquer seasickness. 

thank you for all your replies.

I didn't realise that the port was so far away from the CBD!

what is the train fare or bus fare to the city from Wynnum?

I have spent about half an hour on the Translink site (for Brisbane) and was not successful in getting this information.

we were looking forward to seeing Brisbane but might now consider either staying on board (what a shame to do this!) or just wander around Wynnum.

Sorry to hear you couldn't find the fare. I thought the Translink site on Journey Planner was easy to use though I do struggle with those in other states at times.

If you put in start location, Wynnum  Station and end location Central Station and time you want to travel, not really important at this stage will being up journey and on right hand side of page will display fares. Travel time is shown as 39mins.

Travel started after 8.30am and before 3.30pm is  considered off peak. I presume you won't have a Go Card so don't think off peak applies to paper tickets.

Fares for paper tickets are $6 one way and $3 for concessions.

2 hours ago, whimsy7 said:

we were looking forward to seeing Brisbane but might now consider either staying on board (what a shame to do this!) or just wander around Wynnum.

If you are looking for sights nearby, how about:

Visit Fort Lytton, just down the road from the port.

A day trip to historic St Helena Island from Manly?

Sail to Peel Island from Raby Bay.

Take the ferry to North Stradbroke Island from Cleveland (same train line as Wynnum) and then catch the public bus to Lookout Point for some of the best views on the east coast. This is an easy and inexpensive self tour.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, whimsy7 said:

thank you for all your replies.

I didn't realise that the port was so far away from the CBD!

what is the train fare or bus fare to the city from Wynnum?

I have spent about half an hour on the Translink site (for Brisbane) and was not successful in getting this information.

on voyager 
We were booked to tour the old bogo road goal but it was canceled at the last moment.

The only thing that caught our interest was a tour called leisurely Brisbane ,it was cheap.Only about $40 for 3 hour bus tour.It was ok.

Brisbane has some lovely on building.

12 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

If you are looking for sights nearby, how about:

Visit Fort Lytton, just down the road from the port.

A day trip to historic St Helena Island from Manly?

Sail to Peel Island from Raby Bay.

Take the ferry to North Stradbroke Island from Cleveland (same train line as Wynnum) and then catch the public bus to Lookout Point for some of the best views on the east coast. This is an easy and inexpensive self tour.

Thank you this is really useful - if the  rellies don't work out this has given us some options 

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Thank you this is really useful - if the  rellies don't work out this has given us some options 

Another do it yourself option if you are in the CBD are the free tours around Brisbane Town Hall. One tour goes up the bell tower (book at level 3 reception) and another takes you around the Town Hall building (book online).

Also free, and if Lone Pine doesn't appeal, there is another Koala sanctuary at Daisy Hill.

This has got me thinking that a sticky with info about self tours in various Australia/NZ ports would be very handy for visitors.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Another do it yourself option if you are in the CBD are the free tours around Brisbane Town Hall. One tour goes up the bell tower (book at level 3 reception) and another takes you around the Town Hall building (book online).

Also free, and if Lone Pine doesn't appeal, there is another Koala sanctuary at Daisy Hill.

This has got me thinking that a sticky with info about self tours in various Australia/NZ ports would be very handy for visitors.

A sticky about a few things.But how do we do it.

I only just worked out how to get the moderator to close rod thread 

• Like 1

in 2013 we were on Voyager repo [Singapore-Syd] & had port stop at Grain Terminal. We took a taxi to Wynnum-Manly RSL club (recommended to us by some Brisbane local onboard) and attended a Melbourne Cup function. We were the hit of the event - no one there could believe we came from the cruiseship to their function. They called us the boat people 🙂 

The taxi was something like $20 each way. 

14 minutes ago, Aussie One said:

How to get to the Grain Terminal for a departure cruise we have heavy luggage and are aged travellers all replys welcome 

Your location is shown as Perth, so I assume you will be arriving in Brisbane by plane. There is only one reasonable option to get to the Grain Terminal and that is by taxi or Uber.

12 hours ago, valantine80 said:

Maybe the cruise line will be doing transfers from the airport, though it may not work out  any cheaper and may be less convenient.

I agree with the suggestion of the cruise line's transfers. It is worth checking into. A taxi would cost $50 - $60, so if the ship's transfers are $29 or less pp, I would take that option. If there are more than two people, a taxi would be cheaper.