RC's Diamond vs Carnival's Platinum...

We're excited to reach Diamond status on our next RC later this week.  Was looking at the chart to see the added benefits, but was just as disappointed as when we went from Platinum to Emerald, & now to Diamond.

We've been Platinum on Carnival for many years now, & are very happy with its benefits, esp:

- Separate priority embarkation security lanes

- Complimentary Wash/Fold service.  3 bags per person are great, since we can do laundry half-way thru cruise, meaning less clothes to bring in our luggage

We haven't been to RC's Diamond lounge yet, & haven't used Diamond balcony discount yet, so maybe that's an RC plus.

There's many other small differences between RC's Diamond & Carnival's Platinum, but think the above 2 items were more meaningful for us...

8 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

.... haven't used Diamond balcony discount yet, so maybe that's an RC plus.

Sure is:

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$325* for sailings of 10+ nights

• Like 1

I think it’s all personal choice. I don’t usually use the Carnival laundry service, although I did for the first time on the Splendor TP, for just my undergarments and jammies. 

I like the cocktails in the evening, and if the DL is crowded, you get the 3 vouchers on your card. I also like the hors d’oeuvres in the evening. Sometimes, it’s my dinner. I especially like the coffee machines in the DL for my morning cappuccino. Delicious.

Oh, and internet minutes.

Congrats on Diamond....I think you will enjoy it.

Carnival also provides a real priority debarkation to its Platinum members.

To me, the best parts of Royal's diamond program are three free drinks per day on your card for use during happy hours, the Diamond lounge, and the free day or so of internet.  I am sure some like the free photo, but we usually don't bother unless we are traveling with extended family, and the Diamond discount on balconies. 

I recently returned to Carnival for a Panama Canal cruise, which was great, but I missed my free drinks and private lounge to get away from the crowds. But the 10 free bags of laundry were great!  It was a 13 night cruise.  

We are pretty committed to alternating between Royal and Carnival, as we enjoy both lines.  The perks are different but wonderful to have. 

Yes, being from Houston, we cruise both Carnival & RC out of Galveston quite a bit.  Been mostly Carnival in the early years since the kids love their kids' clubs, now that they're adults, we've been on RC somewhat more often.

Awaiting after we come back from RC cruise next week, wait another week for info to get updated, then apply our $225 balcony discount for our next booked cruise in Nov.

RC makes u wait until u reach status, then it applies on your next cruise.

Whereas, Carnival allows u to enjoy your next status immediately if u reach on your next cruise  

Edited by NavyCruiser

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Sure is:

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$325* for sailings of 10+ nights

Compared to:

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 75* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$225* for sailings of 10+ nights

Sorry.. not fun of Carnival at all (3 cruises, but couldn't like it and haven't been on C since 2013).

RCI has such an efficient embarkation procedure that while there is some separation on embarkation its not even that important.

Benefits we love:

1) Diamond Lounge with nice snacks and unlimited drinks + 3 loaded on your card for other bars.

2) One free photo per diamond member

3) Free day of surf WiFi. I usually buy a package, but if we do not have a second one we use it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Compared to:

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 75* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$225* for sailings of 10+ nights

Yep, Diamond is the biggest jump for the balcony discount.

My favorite perk is the dedicated Platinum and above line at guest services on Carnival. Love that and have found it to be a great time saver. Also,  I have found it doesn’t matter what the “perk” balcony discount is on Royal. It is usually not combinable with any of the “sale” discounts.    

• Like 1

Can y'all pls clarify the Diamond balcony discount of $225 for 7 nights' off the Fake top price or off the Fake Sales prices, 60% off BOGO, 30% off, ... Sails Free Fake promos pricing, etc.... ?

So is it really $225 off the best / lowest pricing avail, or just another Fake promo...?

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Can y'all pls clarify the Diamond balcony discount of $225 for 7 nights' off the Fake top price or off the Fake Sales prices, 60% off BOGO, 30% off, ... Sails Free Fake promos pricing, etc.... ?

So is it really $225 off the best / lowest pricing avail, or just another Fake promo...?

Thanks,

As of today it is a discount off of the lowest price available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ILUVPOMS said:

My favorite perk is the dedicated Platinum and above line at guest services on Carnival.   

Your Diamond Concierge can do everything Guest Services can do except cash transactions.

39 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

So if you get the emerald discount of $125 per balcony and they have pricing that includes $125 instant savings you'll still get the balcony discount?

Yes, according to the most recent reports.

We are only Emerald on Royal Caribbean so this may not apply to the Diamond balcony discount, but I have never been able to use the Emerald balcony discount. When I call and price it out it is always cheaper to go with the “sale of the week” price and I was always told it was not combinable. It could be a case of call again and you will get a different answer but we were satisfied with the pricing so didn’t pursue with another call. 

23 minutes ago, ILUVPOMS said:

We are only Emerald on Royal Caribbean so this may not apply to the Diamond balcony discount, but I have never been able to use the Emerald balcony discount. When I call and price it out it is always cheaper to go with the “sale of the week” price and I was always told it was not combinable. It could be a case of call again and you will get a different answer but we were satisfied with the pricing so didn’t pursue with another call. 

The combinability rules have supposedly been changed recently.  People report getting the full balcony discount even after the fake sale discounts are applied.