Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sas80

Dining Room Tipping

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

 Waiters are assigned a certain number of tables each meal. They depend on your tips for their pay.  If you remove them because you CHOOSE not to dine in the MDR, you are cutting their pay.   They did nothing to deserve a pay cut. Why would you want to do that to them?  

 

 

They have to take that up with their employer.  

 

Why would I pay for a service I am not using?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an interesting article.  Google “THE GREAT GRATUITIES DEBATE: WHY MANY CRUISE CREWS RELY ON YOUR TIPS TO MAKE ENDS MEET”

 

I like the last paragraph

 

Australia and New Zealand’s homeported fleet largely don’t break out gratuities because, as cruise lines explain, tipping is not part of Australia’s culture.
So the money is consolidated into cruise fares.

Perhaps this is a fairer and more sensible way to handle this sometimes sensitive issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TYMAN said:

Anyway, since I don't "pre-pay" the tips on my cruises, your analogy really doesn't work for me.

 

Actually, it does. Even though you haven't paid in advance, the amount is already predetermined in advance guaranteeing that will be the minimum you'll pay. Unless you go to GS to reduce.

 

13 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

f I'm not mistaken, which I'm not, the original request was how to remove auto tips but still tip the wait staff in the dining room, IF that person dines there. Removing the tips and only tipping in DR does affect the cabin steward that cleans your room twice a day etc. That is why I'm fixated on the cabin steward, not to mention WJ staff etc. 

 

See Post #22- the OP intends to tip their stateroom attendant directly. Ironically, its probably more than the attendant would receive via auto-grats. Although it's hard to say as Royal no longer provides the breakdown.

 

19 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

As stated, we have different opinions and different approaches, and that's cool.

 

Choices are good. I'm all for choices. And Royal provides the customer a variety of ways to tip. To each their own, has no impact on me or my enjoyment of the cruise.

 

24 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

That's what kills me about these tipping, dress codes, etc threads. It's the same conversations over and over without anyone convincing anyone else to change. Since I normally don't respond on those threads, I thought it would be interesting this time, and it was.

 

Same here. Other than giving the OP the answer they were seeking, I've tried to refrain from responding to some posts that are obviously  wrong but that would go nowhere or be misconstrued.   Judging by some of the responses, it seems a few people didn't even to bother to read the OP and just launched into their pre-set rants.  Not you. I'm glad you decided to join the conversation.

 

Enjoy your cruise!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Choices are good. I'm all for choices. And Royal provides the customer a variety of ways to tip. To each their own, has no impact on me or my enjoyment of the cruise.

 

 

Enjoy your cruise!

 

Thanks! I appreciate your comments. Oh, I will say I did re-read post #22. Sounds like they're giving $9 per day total for four people for their cabin steward. I'm not the math major, but that might be less than the percentage he/she would get out of the $14.50 per person per day. $9 out a possible $58 doesn't sound too good, but, better than zero. Ha! Anyway, for me (and it only matters to me) it's easier to leave the auto's on and let them figure who gets what and at what percentage is. 

 

Okay, now to move on....:-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP,  we remove auto grats, &  tip cash to:

Stateroom Attendant $6 per person per day

Head Waiter  $5

Asst Waiter   $4

For total of $15 per person per day

So for 7 day sailings, we give Stateroom attendant approx $42 first day of cruise, then $42 last day for the 2 of us.

Since we always eat late seating in MDR, we give approx $35 to Head Waiter & $28 to Asst Waiter on the first & last day.  We adjust or round up a few $.

OP, since you don't use fixed time, I suggest you give head waiter approx $20 ($5 x 4 persons) & asst waiter $16 per dinner per eve.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

Sounds like they're giving $9 per day total for four people for their cabin steward.

 

I had to go back and re-read but it is $9 per person / per day.

 

16 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

Anyway, for me (and it only matters to me) it's easier to leave the auto's on and let them figure who gets what and at what percentage is.

 

Same here.  I guess I have a "thing" about how some people (again, not you) tell others how to spend their money.

 

22 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

Okay, now to move on....:-) 

 

Enjoy, hopefully you have already moved onto other fun things!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 6:53 PM, dplusd said:

I wish they would ditch the discretionary gratuity model and replace it with a mandatory "resort fee".  That would take care of the cheapo's looking to stiff the hard working staff and/or those that can't really afford to cruise anyway. 

Some of those "cheapos" to choose to label might just not want to tip extra. Try telling them that at your dinner table on the last night of the cruise if they don't hand out envelopes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

 

No you won't be asked for an explanation.   

 

OP, you can tip cash to whoever you want, whenever you want, and they will keep it whether you left automatic on or not.  

Maybe I'm confusing with when I went on Norwegian, or just something from the Carnival channels that discussed gratuity. I have never done it personally, despite my original intention to do so. Because of the Lido deck employees and a lack of desire to carry cash constantly, I don't see it as practical to tip individually. I do hate the automatic gratuity at the bar and absolutely despise the included gratuity on the drink package (which I feel discourages bartenders from prioritizing you and I end up tipping them anyway) because I can tip on my card what I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

OP,  we remove auto grats, &  tip cash to:

Stateroom Attendant $6 per person per day

Head Waiter  $5

Asst Waiter   $4

For total of $15 per person per day

So for 7 day sailings, we give Stateroom attendant approx $42 first day of cruise, then $42 last day for the 2 of us.

Since we always eat late seating in MDR, we give approx $35 to Head Waiter & $28 to Asst Waiter on the first & last day.  We adjust or round up a few $.

OP, since you don't use fixed time, I suggest you give head waiter approx $20 ($5 x 4 persons) & asst waiter $16 per dinner per eve.... 

I'm curious, do you not feel any obligation to the employees that serve you on the Lido Deck or other staff on board? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TYMAN said:

I'm curious on why auto tips are removed. I mean, I understand poor service and a person not being sure compensation is in order, but what other reasons can there be if you receive excellent service from your dining staff, room steward etc etc? Do you feel the cruise line should provide more compensation to their staff? Is it because you didn't realize it was going to be added daily to your account? Do you just tip the people you come in contact with, not worrying about the "behind the scenes" workers?  Do you feel that the cruise fare alone should cover tips also?  I don't get the people, before even stepping on board, that have already decided to remove the auto-grats.

 

Besides going to GS and having the gratuities removed, has any of the "removers" actually looked their cabin steward or dining room server in the face and told them that a tip is not coming? I would guess not....

I don't think there's a one size fits all answer to your questions.  I'm sure different people remove the auto tips for any of the reasons you've stated, and probably other reasons as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I don't think there's a one size fits all answer to your questions.  I'm sure different people remove the auto tips for any of the reasons you've stated, and probably other reasons as well.

Okay, you brought me back. 🙂 The question is, for those that remove the auto and DON'T tip in cash, do they go to the wait staff/cabin steward/etc and tell them they're removing the tips? I think the staff would appreciate if they knew why, don't you? I'm guessing any of the stated reasons would be acceptable for them....maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TYMAN said:

Okay, you brought me back. 🙂 The question is, for those that remove the auto and DON'T tip in cash, do they go to the wait staff/cabin steward/etc and tell them they're removing the tips? I think the staff would appreciate if they knew why, don't you? I'm guessing any of the stated reasons would be acceptable for them....maybe?

 

The crewmembers know who removes the auto tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

 

The crewmembers know who removes the auto tips.

True Mr. Bob.....but they don't know why unless the cruiser tells them. 

Edited by TYMAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

OP,  we remove auto grats, &  tip cash to:

Stateroom Attendant $6 per person per day

Head Waiter  $5

Asst Waiter   $4

For total of $15 per person per day

So for 7 day sailings, we give Stateroom attendant approx $42 first day of cruise, then $42 last day for the 2 of us.

Since we always eat late seating in MDR, we give approx $35 to Head Waiter & $28 to Asst Waiter on the first & last day.  We adjust or round up a few $.

OP, since you don't use fixed time, I suggest you give head waiter approx $20 ($5 x 4 persons) & asst waiter $16 per dinner per eve.... 


You only eat dinner on a cruise, and never eat any breakfast, lunch, or snacks in the Windjammer, Main Dining Room, Cafe Promenade, Sorrento's, Boardwalk Dogs, Park Cafe, Wipeout Cafe, etc?  

You're definitely in the minority with your eating schedule.  

 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brillohead said:


You only eat dinner on a cruise, and never eat any breakfast, lunch, or snacks in the Windjammer, Main Dining Room, Cafe Promenade, Sorrento's, Boardwalk Dogs, Park Cafe, Wipeout Cafe, etc?  

You're definitely in the minority with your eating schedule.  

You don't have to tip everyone you come in contact with. You definitely do not have to tip the dishwasher. 

 

Royal Caribbean gives options for tipping. Tipping is optional. People may tip as they see fit, nothing wrong with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, marci22 said:

You don't have to tip everyone you come in contact with. You definitely do not have to tip the dishwasher. 

 

Royal Caribbean gives options for tipping. Tipping is optional. People may tip as they see fit, nothing wrong with that. 


My point is, if you're going to tip your waiter / assistant waiter at dinner, why would you not also want to tip the servers at your other meals?  That's just mean, IMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brillohead said:


My point is, if you're going to tip your waiter / assistant waiter at dinner, why would you not also want to tip the servers at your other meals?  That's just mean, IMO.

 

At the other meals no one delivers my food and drink to my table, I walk through a line and fix a plate. 

I don’t tip at land based buffets either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

 

They have to take that up with their employer.  

 

Why would I pay for a service I am not using?  

You do use the service.  The waiters also serve in other eating venues around the ship.  But heck, I assume you work. I bet people pay for your salary and don't use your services. Maybe you should suggest that people at your company only get paid if they directly serve the customer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

You do use the service.  The waiters also serve in other eating venues around the ship.  But heck, I assume you work. I bet people pay for your salary and don't use your services. Maybe you should suggest that people at your company only get paid if they directly serve the customer. 

 

Yes, I & everyone gets PAID a salary at work, but I don't get TIPS.

Yes, Everyone gets PAID a salary at my company, but only those directly serve the customer get TIPS...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a lot of folks confused as to what the purpose of a "Tip" is.  The acronym was originally To Insure Prompt Service.  In the U.S. it has become customary for the service industry to employ tips as a part of the compensation model and that is simply a fact.  That being said it does not change the principle in play.  Most people tip (to varying degrees) based on the quality of service they receive.

We leave the auto grats on in the same manner we tip 20% for normal service at a meal.  When the service goes above and beyond we give out extra cash to our cabin steward and our waiters.  I have never even looked at how our auto grats are broken down.

We all have our own interpretation of value and acceptability.  I suggest that be kept in mind when folks start telling others what actions they should take. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, neverbeenhere said:

Ensure. 

Explain that to the Ensurance Industry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

At the other meals no one delivers my food and drink to my table, I walk through a line and fix a plate. 

I don’t tip at land based buffets either. 

 

So, you are also clearing your own dishes in the buffet?  Wiping down the table/chairs?  Snarling at all the waiters so they don't offer to refill your beverage or offer you a dish of ice cream?  

You live in an entirely self-contained bubble in the Windjammer?  Interesting.  I learn all kinds of things here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, the crews on cruise ships are some of the most hard working people I have met and are truly deserving of tipping.  We ALWAYS pay the automatic gratuities and we usually have My Time Dining and not the traditional dining.  We bring extra envelopes and cash so we can give extra tips tothose who go above in beyond in their service...typically waiters in the dining room, our room attendant, possibly a server on the pool deck or Windjammer, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a fellow passenger tell me they always remove the auto gratuities and tip in cash. They said they want the personal acknowledgement and thank you from the staff when they had them money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...