Photographing Glaciers from Balcony vs out on open deck

AquariusOne

Glaciers is 100% correct about Post 14 Sawyer Glacier which is from my wife's point and shoot camera. You will find all kinds of set ups. On HAL one nice deck is just outside of spa/gym. We had on every warm thing we  brought and was there many hours. Others took a quick break from spa. The others are from my sony bridge camera with nice zoom. The covered area is at the back of ship as we were leaving. The ship officer photo is as we approached Hubbard Gl. There will be spots on your ship with similar views. 

DSC07974.JPG

DSC08913.JPG

DSC08948.JPG

DSC08974.JPG

Yes, weather is another unkonow in August. All that planning maybe of no help. But, worst is staying the comfort of my balcony. Which maynot be too bad. I do plan to take the equipment/gear on the ship anyways, as I am shooting in Alaska, prior to the cruise.

Once again, I do appreciate all the comments and input. 

Thanks,

Hi-- I went back and re-read my earlier comments, and I owe you an apology as I came across as a bit of a wiseass!  I cannot begin to list the number of times I have kicked myself for missing some really wonderful shots in an attempt to find and install the best lens, maneuver a tripod, or replace the battery that I should have replaced earlier. I have had to work at this whenever we are traveling thru some spectacular scenery and perfect photo ops. As a result , I have been rewarded with several stunning shots, made possible by a relatively good camera (Sony a6000), a warm jacket, my Apple photo-editing software, and some basic luck.  And most importantly, more time to relax and scan for potential shots. I would think that most of you more-experienced photogs would be able to create some stunning shots.  Sorry if I got a bit carried away and offended you. And best  thing I could say in closing is---ENJOY ALASKA!! One of the most beautiful places on earth where each stop or scene is even more astoundingly beautiful than the last!

1 hour ago, Fairfield Nana said:

Hi-- I went back and re-read my earlier comments, and I owe you an apology as I came across as a bit of a wiseass!  I cannot begin to list the number of times I have kicked myself for missing some really wonderful shots in an attempt to find and install the best lens, maneuver a tripod, or replace the battery that I should have replaced earlier. I have had to work at this whenever we are traveling thru some spectacular scenery and perfect photo ops. As a result , I have been rewarded with several stunning shots, made possible by a relatively good camera (Sony a6000), a warm jacket, my Apple photo-editing software, and some basic luck.  And most importantly, more time to relax and scan for potential shots. I would think that most of you more-experienced photogs would be able to create some stunning shots.  Sorry if I got a bit carried away and offended you. And best  thing I could say in closing is---ENJOY ALASKA!! One of the most beautiful places on earth where each stop or scene is even more astoundingly beautiful than the last!

Dear Fairfield Nana,

No offence taken at all. I am thankful for all the comments & insights, including yours.