Minor Consent Form with Only Mother's Signature

SRQMom

We are taking my Grandson and niece on a 3 day Nassau cruise for Spring Break.  Both are 15.  The neice's parents are divorced and we have the Mother's signature, but the Father has been out of the picture for years and can't be located to sign.  It's a 80/20 custody but that's been a "non-issue" for years of course.  We've got 2 months until we sail and are worried we may have problems at boarding.  Any suggestions on what we can do to be better prepared??  Any experiences?  We go out of Cape Canaveral to Nassau (closed end loop cruise).  Thanks!

You shouldn't have to worry about boarding. Carnival recommends having the letter, but it's not for them, it's for customs (DHS) upon return. In a majority of cases, they never ask for the permission letter, but there are those few instances when it does happen, so it's always a good idea to be prepared. In your case, I'm not sure what you could do. If it were me, in addition to the permission letters for each child, I'd have the single mother make a short statement stating that the father has made no attempt to contact them and his whereabouts have been unknown for X years, so she was unable to get his signature. Have her sign it and maybe even notarize it if you want to go the extra mile. I honestly don't know if that would make a difference, it would probably depend on the customs agent at the time. Odd are, they won't ask for the letters, so hopefully you're able to glide right through. Good luck.

• Like 1

When a child needs a passport, both parents have to show up to the passport place.  If one parent cannot attend because they are deceased, out of the picture, etc, there is a Statement of Consent form that the custodial parent can sign and have notarized.  Have mom fill out that form and maybe it will suffice??  Link below.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/forms.html

I just took my Granddaughter. Her birth mother, my daughter, looked up the required details. According to her, the State of Missouri on requires 1 parental signature as far as the parental consent form goes. I went with it, hoping she was right and did her due diligence. We were asked if we had a letter prior to boarding, when we went to retrieve it, they said that they didn't want to see it, just wanted to make sure we had one.

So maybe a consent letter to travel is regulated by each State as to what and how many parents need to sign.

Edited by klfrodo

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I just took my Granddaughter. Her birth mother, my daughter, looked up the required details. According to her, the State of Missouri on requires 1 parental signature as far as the parental consent form goes. I went with it, hoping she was right and did her due diligence. We were asked if we had a letter prior to boarding, when we went to retrieve it, they said that they didn't want to see it, just wanted to make sure we had one.

So maybe a consent letter to travel is regulated by each State as to what and how many parents need to sign.

If anyone asks for the letter it will be a FEDERAL US Customs and Boarder Control agent.  State law does not come into play.

In all likelihood no one will ask for the letter.  But if they do it is supposed to have both parent's signatures.  If one parent is traveling with minors they are supposed to have a letter form the other parent granting permission.  The most likely trigger for requesting the letter is a complaint from a non-custodial parent who wants to cause trouble when the separation / divorce was not amicable. If the Bio-Dad in the OP's scenario is that out of touch it isn't likely to happen.

We took my 15 year old brother on the Sensation back in November, and were never asked to show any information. I doubt it would be a problem. For all they know the biological father is dead. 

I'd add, he did have a passport, so parents names weren't listed and he does have the same last name, so they could easily assume he was my child going through security. I think you are better off if they use a passport or photo ID than a Birth Certificate for boarding.

Edited by Jamesatgsu

4 hours ago, sixesandeights said:

*Cough*.....just sign the form.....*cough*

6&8

While I'm sure that would work, the last thing I'd want to do is be giving Federal Agents false documents. I'd only worry if state law forbids foreign travel without both parents permission.

1 hour ago, K&RCurt said:

If anyone asks for the letter it will be a FEDERAL US Customs and Boarder Control agent.  State law does not come into play.

In all likelihood no one will ask for the letter.  But if they do it is supposed to have both parent's signatures.  If one parent is traveling with minors they are supposed to have a letter form the other parent granting permission.  The most likely trigger for requesting the letter is a complaint from a non-custodial parent who wants to cause trouble when the separation / divorce was not amicable. If the Bio-Dad in the OP's scenario is that out of touch it isn't likely to happen.

Or medical treatment people