Blue Curacao Experience?

brookie848

We will be visiting Curacao in February with horrible port times -- from early morning until 12:30 p.m. -- so we will need to be back on the ship by noon. 

We would like to do something with Blue Curacao. I've looked at the factory tours, but that would require a taxi and I'm not sure I want to deal with that with our short port time. Plus, it didn't get great reviews. I'm now looking at the Blue Curacao Experience downtown. Has anyone does this and is it worth it? 

Does anyone have other shops we should not miss when we are wandering around downtown? We prefer "local" shops as opposed to the same souvenirs (although those can be fun, too). 

Thanks!

21 hours ago, brookie848 said:

We will be visiting Curacao in February with horrible port times -- from early morning until 12:30 p.m. -- so we will need to be back on the ship by noon. 

We would like to do something with Blue Curacao. I've looked at the factory tours, but that would require a taxi and I'm not sure I want to deal with that with our short port time. Plus, it didn't get great reviews. I'm now looking at the Blue Curacao Experience downtown. Has anyone does this and is it worth it? 

Does anyone have other shops we should not miss when we are wandering around downtown? We prefer "local" shops as opposed to the same souvenirs (although those can be fun, too). 

Thanks!

There is a store called The Lokale on Breedestraat in Punda that is full of local art.

Also Copperstone at the back of the Gomezplein has a local artist as well as regular souvenirs. 

If you don't mind me asking, which day are you here/ship are you on? Is it Norwegian Epic on the 26th?

50 minutes ago, bup1224 said:

There is a store called The Lokale on Breedestraat in Punda that is full of local art.

Also Copperstone at the back of the Gomezplein has a local artist as well as regular souvenirs. 

If you don't mind me asking, which day are you here/ship are you on? Is it Norwegian Epic on the 26th?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes...we are on the Epic, but we dock on 2/27. When we booked the cruise, we were supposed to be there all day on 2/26, but then the itinerary changed (not thrilled about it). We in port from 6:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.

42 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes...we are on the Epic, but we dock on 2/27. When we booked the cruise, we were supposed to be there all day on 2/26, but then the itinerary changed (not thrilled about it). We in port from 6:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.

Thank you.  We have a friend on that ship (we live here so we are going to meet her)! I meant the 27th.

There is also a store in the Rif Fort that sells local art, Mon Art I believe is the name.

For just souvenirs and t-shirts, we recommend "Best of Curacao." They are down one of the streets to the left off the street when you come off the floating bridge. We have bought t-shirts there several times, nice embroidered ones, as well as hats, and they have held up very well (good quality). Otherwise, there are some nice European-style stores on those streets, selling linens and other goods you might otherwise have to go to Europe to find. Additionally, there is a peddlers'/artists' market on the way into town along the canal as you are approaching the floating bridge.

The Curacao "factory" is not much to worry about having missed. You can buy the liqueur in town, and the tour is mainly a small history display and tasting room.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 7:48 AM, bup1224 said:

Is Copperstone the store with the resident cat? 

We are planning on loosely following this walking tour, but detouring if we see shops/other interesting things to see: https://travelhelix.com/2019/04/16/self-guided-walking-tour-of-willemstad-curacao-otrobanda-punda-pietermaai/

Is Copperstone anywhere near anything on this path? 

4 hours ago, purplephenom said:

Is Copperstone the store with the resident cat? 

We are planning on loosely following this walking tour, but detouring if we see shops/other interesting things to see: https://travelhelix.com/2019/04/16/self-guided-walking-tour-of-willemstad-curacao-otrobanda-punda-pietermaai/

Is Copperstone anywhere near anything on this path? 

Yes, same street as the synagogue.