Baggage Handling Company

Fatchemist

We're thinking of using the Baggage Handling Company for our forthcoming cruise. Can anyone advise how many days ahead of the cruise they typically pick up the luggage? Their website doesn't seem to provide this information, and they indicate the actual pick up is only confirmed nearer the departure date.  

I have used them several times.  After you have placed the order online they phone to confirm the order and usually give you a choice of collection date, normally two to four days before your departure date.  I would suggest a call to them before booking, I have found them to be very helpful.

Martyn

14 minutes ago, Fatchemist said:

We're thinking of using the Baggage Handling Company for our forthcoming cruise. Can anyone advise how many days ahead of the cruise they typically pick up the luggage? Their website doesn't seem to provide this information, and they indicate the actual pick up is only confirmed nearer the departure date.  

They will contact you to arrange a mutually convenient date/time, which is usually a few days before you sail.

Maybe it's because I live up here - you know, the FAR Frozen North that is the capital of Scotland - but there is never any flexibility in the date I'm given for collection. Two days ago, they phoned to tell me that my luggage would be collected on the morning of 6th February for our cruise on 11th February. I have in the past been given a date that was completely unsuitable but it was like it or lump it.  

I also live in the North and they usually collect about 4 days before sailing. Obviously you get less choice imn the north as they have fewer customers; hopefully as they exapnd this will improve. I have always been happy with their service. It is great travelling to Southampton with just hand luggage.

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm also in the North and can probably live with up to a week in advance so sounds like I should be OK. I do like the idea of travelling light down to Southampton, and we're usually ready to pack early anyway.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Not sure I understand the reason for sending your baggage 5 days early?  Surely it would be so creased.  Why not take it with you, or am I being silly?

We travel by train to Southampton and stay over night.If we need more than a large suitcase each it is a struggle on the train with changes, particularly finding somewhere to put them.I have also heard of people using the company if say there are 4 travellers and a car with a small boot or people flying down to Southampton.I was concerned that the clothes would be really creased sending them ahead in advance but my fears were unfounded

Our concern is that with a fairly long drive south, we'll need a couple of stops, and leaving cases unattended in the car is a bit of a concern, especially as they won't all fit in the boot, so will be visible.  Secondly, we're staying overnight in Southampton, and this will save us lugging cases in and out of the hotel.  I agree with others about creasing - we did a trip a few years ago where we visited a couple of cities in the US, followed by a cruise out of New York. We had a separate case for the cruise leg which was packed before and left unopened until we were on the ship. We had no major issues with creasing, even my formal suit was fine., and that case had been on three separate flights and in and out of various cars, trains and hotels.

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Not sure I understand the reason for sending your baggage 5 days early?  Surely it would be so creased.  Why not take it with you, or am I being silly?

Strangely enough Jean if you ensure the clothes are neatly packed, and that the case is absolutely full, then there should be little room for any movement and the clothes will emerge crease free.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ann141 said:

We travel by train to Southampton and stay over night.If we need more than a large suitcase each it is a struggle on the train with changes, particularly finding somewhere to put them.I have also heard of people using the company if say there are 4 travellers and a car with a small boot or people flying down to Southampton.I was concerned that the clothes would be really creased sending them ahead in advance but my fears were unfounded

We're exactly the same, Ann. We travel down from Edinburgh by train and this time we'll have 4 cases with us as we're doing a long cruise. Neither of us is capable of handling 4 large pieces of luggage plus an overnight bag and as you say there is never enough room on the trains for the cases. Ours are going 5 days prior to the cruise  and like you, I'm sure they will be fine when we unpack. 

It's all right for people who live fairly close to the port to jump in their car and drive, but for us it would be 9 hours of stress and particularly at the end of the cruise that's just not something we want any more. 

I have never had problems with creased clothes using the BHC. They look after your cases well and as long as you pack carefully and roll things up they emerge as uncreased as if you packed the night before. I always get the Newcastle to Southampton train the day before and stay in a hotel. This train is always very crowded with a shortage of space for large cases unless you're prepared to put them in the baggage van where you can't see them, and other people move them around. I even caught some random bloke kicking my case about once. And at weekends you sometimes have to change at Birmingham New Street, a nightmare at any time but almost impossible with a large suitcase!

I take only a small rucksack as hand luggage because it fits in the overhead shelf above your seat. Also I usually cover the cost of half the Baggage Handling Company's fees by not needing taxis between station and hotel etc as I can walk.

They are a brilliant company and I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a stress free travel to a Southampton cruise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clodia said:

I have never had problems with creased clothes using the BHC. They look after your cases well and as long as you pack carefully and roll things up they emerge as uncreased as if you packed the night before. I always get the Newcastle to Southampton train the day before and stay in a hotel. This train is always very crowded with a shortage of space for large cases unless you're prepared to put them in the baggage van where you can't see them, and other people move them around. I even caught some random bloke kicking my case about once. And at weekends you sometimes have to change at Birmingham New Street, a nightmare at any time but almost impossible with a large suitcase!

How long does that take and apart from weekends is it a direct train. If you have to change is it in the same station just different trains.

Sorry to hijack thread.

1 hour ago, emam said:

How long does that take and apart from weekends is it a direct train. If you have to change is it in the same station just different trains.

Sorry to hijack thread.

I usually do this journey too. We leave Edinburgh at 7:30 in time for the 9:35 from Newcastle direct to Southampton, arriving at 3:20 p.m.

In 2 weeks we unfortunately have to travel at the weekend, via Newcastle, to Birmingham. There is  almost an hour to wait as the trains from Newcastle just miss the connection by a couple of minutes. We wouldn't consider it with luggage though

7 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, understand some reasons.  we never have more than one large case each for a 19 day cruise and I still bring back stuff I haven't worn.  We also only had one case for a 30 day cruise.

One case each for 30 days???  My shoes, handbags and toiletries fill up one case :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I believe it takes about 5hrs 45 mins, I usually go down to Kings Cross, then down to Southampton, as I need a break from the train.  That said, I have looked at going this way this time, and doing the change in B/ham as that would give me the break I feel I need. 

2 hours ago, davemorton said:

I believe it takes about 5hrs 45 mins, I usually go down to Kings Cross, then down to Southampton, as I need a break from the train.  That said, I have looked at going this way this time, and doing the change in B/ham as that would give me the break I feel I need. 

I just take 2/3 films to watch on my iPad and the time goes really quickly. If you pay a bit extra for first class, you get well looked after. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davemorton said:

I do the journey the other way Dave. 

It is just a change of platform at Birmingham, if timings are right it's very easy. 

I guess from King's Cross you have to take the tube to Waterloo to get down to Southampton? 

Andy 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I do the journey the other way Dave. 

It is just a change of platform at Birmingham, if timings are right it's very easy. 

I guess from King's Cross you have to take the tube to Waterloo to get down to Southampton? 

Andy 

I usually get a taxi across, with two of us, it isnt that much more than the tube, and a lot easier with 2 large cases. 

17 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

I just take 2/3 films to watch on my iPad and the time goes really quickly. If you pay a bit extra for first class, you get well looked after. 

Another reason for going down to Kings Cross, especially if I am getting an evening train down after work as you get unlimited free bar in first class 😄

• Like 1

Never considered sending the cases ahead, but after our last cruise, lugging heavy cases, and after reading this thread we might just consider it next time.

I have just been reading their website, and all is clear apart from disembarkation.

How do they get the cases for the journey home?   Normally, of course, they just go outside the cabin door late on the last evening.

Can you kindly explain the disembarkation procedure regarding the Baggage Handling Co..  Many thanks.

55 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Never considered sending the cases ahead, but after our last cruise, lugging heavy cases, and after reading this thread we might just consider it next time.

I have just been reading their website, and all is clear apart from disembarkation.

How do they get the cases for the journey home?   Normally, of course, they just go outside the cabin door late on the last evening.

Can you kindly explain the disembarkation procedure regarding the Baggage Handling Co..  Many thanks.

You just collect your cases from the baggage hall and take them outside where you will find their van waiting for you. The driver will let you know when they will be delivered to your home. Couldn’t be simpler. 😀

• Like 1