Cruise Critic Community
Reijo

When are formal nights

I realize how much this varies, but I'm trying to get my thoughts together for our upcoming 12 night Silhouette cruise.  We leave on a Sunday and I'm wondering if anyone knows the days of formal nights, it would help a lot with what to wear and when.  Thanks!  

@Reijo,

Your sailing involves 2 sea days at the start and 2 sea days at the end of your cruise.  If so, then the first formal night (now called Evening Chic) will occur on the 1st sea day (2nd night of your cruise) and the last Evening Chic night will be on the 3rd sea day (11th night of the cruise).

Edited by mahdnc

Generally on a 12 night Silhouette cruise there are 3 Evening chic nights, at least there were on my last one!

im new to X and found the following helpful with what to wear

First, let’s discuss those formal nights. Love them or hate them, wondering if you have to dress up on a cruise and how much you have to dress up shouldn’t stress you out. Instead of focusing on your attire, you should be giving your attention to the gorgeous scenery of the destinations you’re visiting.

That’s why Celebrity Cruises changed its formal nights to Evening Chic nights. Evening Chic lets you decide how dressed up to get in a way that best fits your style….within reason.

Evening Chic nights aren’t the time to put on your favorite college sweatshirt or well-loved ripped jeans. But you also shouldn’t feel like you need to reuse an old fancy bridesmaid dress or rent a tux for your cruise – unless you want to! And that’s the beauty of Evening Chic nights. Get super dressed up or just get stylishly comfortable.

The dress code for Evening Chic is as follows:

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants, or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt, or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

This leaves lots of opportunities for you to show off your personal style, whether that’s designer denim and a blazer or a cocktail dress and heels.

Depending on the length of your cruise you’ll likely have up to two Evening Chic nights.

When it’s not an Evening Chic night in the Main Dining Room, the dress code is smart casual. For women, this can mean a skirt, pants, or jeans with a casual top. An example of a smart casual outfit for men is pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Smart casual also works for all areas of the ship in the evening, including specialty restaurants, bars and lounges, and the theater.

Again, the dress code for smart casual is flexible so you can show off your unique style, but there are still some restrictions: t-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. In addition, shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

--------------

what i find interesting here vs something like NCL is that specifically states no shorts MDR at nite. NCLs site specifically allows them there and is a very very heated point of contention between traditional and new cruisers. also no shorts in specialty restaurants is only the case in 2 on NCL. 

Thanks for your information.  I am aware of the dress codes in the MDR and the many differences.....my husband and I are Diamond Plus with RCCL.  I'm trying to determine how to pack for a cruise of this length and will probably need to rewear something.  I just wondered which nights were "Formal" (i.e. 2nd, 6th, 10th) my husband might need to rewear some shirts during the day that he had worn at night.

I do appreciate your information though.  Since we have been Loyal to Royal..this is our first cruise with another cruise line.  Celebrity is owned by Royal so I assumed the MDR attire was similar, ALTHOUGH Celebrity is a bit more upscale.