Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Eli_6

Anyone here used Fly2Fun?

Recommended Posts

Is it possible to use points from a card to upgrade with the airline (or pay a fee to upgrade) to premium or business class?

 

In trying to find this answer somewhere on the Carnival website, I came across a review that suggested that due to the type of airfare that carnival purchases through fly 2 fun, upgrading was not possible.  However, it was unclear from the post whether it was not possible to upgrade at all or whether it was not possible to upgrade for a fee.  There is almost always a fee even if you book directly with the airline so that part doesn't concern me. My concern is if I can't upgrade at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked to my PVP and she said better deals on air can be had by booking own air. Even if you book air with Carnival they won't hold the ship for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out this link and you'll learn more about cruiseline air than you ever wanted to know. The post is old, but still valid today.

The answer to your question is that you won't know if you can do those things until AFTER you've bought the tickets. The details are in how the cruiseline negotiated the purchase of those tickets, or what restrictions were negotiated for that date on that routing.

Whatever someone elses experience was has no bearing on what your experience may be.

 

 

Edited by klfrodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LPut714 said:

Talked to my PVP and she said better deals on air can be had by booking own air. Even if you book air with Carnival they won't hold the ship for you.

I am flying in the day before so not worried about that.  I have searched every website and airline that does direct Houston to London and even talked to a couple of TAs. Cheapest I can find it anywhere is about $1300 for 0 bags, no seat selection, etc. I "booked" Carnival's flexible far (can cancel up to 60 days out) for $850 per person.  That's a $900 savings for two people going through Carnival.  Now, conceivably, the others may get cheaper. If they do, I will cancel Carnival.

 

Really, though, I want business. I just don't want to pay $7k+ for two business tickets.  I have flown that same route before business for probably $4k for two bus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I recognized this post. Almost the same question from 2017. Nothings changed

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I thought I recognized this post. Almost the same question from 2017. Nothings changed

 

 

When I upgraded before, it was not via a Fly2Fun ticket.  I have never flown Fly2Fun before. 

 

I got plenty of good advice on business tix in that thread--including the fact it is cheaper to book Bus Class in summer and coach not in summer, which I did not know--but no one commented on Carnival's Fly2Fun so that is why I am asking this here, on the Carnival board.  

 

Edited by Eli_6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LPut714 said:

Talked to my PVP and she said better deals on air can be had by booking own air. Even if you book air with Carnival they won't hold the ship for you.

 

YMMV.  My tickets for the upcoming TA on the Legend were close to half of of what I would have paid for them on my own.  It pays to price compare.  She is correct in that they won't hold the ship for you, but they are responsible for getting you to meet up with the ship (normally at the next port).

Edited by Schoifmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LPut714 said:

Talked to my PVP and she said better deals on air can be had by booking own air. Even if you book air with Carnival they won't hold the ship for you.

My guess is she just didn't want to deal with it.  We shopped many flights, and they were always within 5% over (or less, sometimes way less) than getting from other places, and then we did not have to pay right away, and could use carnival gift cards to save even more.  I am sure there are times it is more, but just giving a blanket statement it is always more seems odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

 

.  She is correct in that they won't hold the ship for you, but they are responsible for getting you to meet up with the ship (normally at the next port).

 

Yes, to the best of their ability,,,,, however

32. Liability and Relationship with Airlines: If Carnival is unable to arrange for air transportation for any cause beyond Carnival’s control, such as airline capacity controls, air transportation arranged is no longer available, or otherwise fails to materialize, Carnival’s sole liability will be limited to refunding the air add-on paid or cruise only credit. Carnival acts as an independent travel agent, and it is not affiliated with the airline carriers. Carnival books air as a convenience for the Guests. Carnival assumes no liability for any of the airlines’ acts or omissions, including, without limitation, those involving cancellation of flights, schedule changes, re-routings, damage to or delay or loss of baggage, flight delays, equipment failures, accidents, pilot or other staff shortages, overbooking or clerical/system errors. Your rights against the airlines are controlled and subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the airline’s ticket and tariffs, and any and all applicable laws and regulations.

 

This is copied and pasted from Carnivals Ticket Contract

 

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

Edited by klfrodo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LPut714 said:

Talked to my PVP and she said better deals on air can be had by booking own air. Even if you book air with Carnival they won't hold the ship for you.

I disagree, while there restrictions (seats etc), and certainly exceptions, but we have found the BEST pricing (especially on longer trips) thru fly2fun.  We are TA’s and book air a lot for our customers.

Edited by jimbo5544

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not worried about making the ship.  My current flight is scheduled to arrive 28 hours before the ship departs so even relatively lengthy delay would not affect me.  The flight would have to be canceled. I once waited 7 hours for a delayed flight at IAH before and it still took off eventually.  In my experience, there aren't too many completely canceled flights in June in Houston. It is not a typically severe weather month. Plus, there are four direct flights every day out of IAH to London Heathrow -- two United and two BA flights...and who knows how many indirect flights. If you throw Houston Hobby and London Gatwick into the mix, there are probably more. Plus, Austin Bergstrom and DFW both have direct flights to London, too, and there are dozens upon dozens of flights to those airports from Houston every day...or, worse case scenario, it is a three hour drive from Houston to either of those airports.  

 

My concern was more with just being stuck in some middle seat at the back of the plane (and have to listen to my husband belly ache about the seats and his hurting back) for a 9 hours overnight flight going and a 10+ hours flight coming back. But for the current difference in price, I will risk it.   

 

I even found business class with a layover at JFK (going) and O'Hare (coming back) for $2k a piece, but hubs shot that down because it would require him to take off two more days from work.  He is a physician who owns his own practice so any money we saved would be immediately eaten up in lost revenue from him not seeing patients those days.  Its one thing to do that for "vacation" but not to sit in an airport waiting for the next leg of your flight.  (Don't worry, he has two nurse practitioners who work for him so he isn't going off and abandoning his patients for 11 days.)  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I am not worried about making the ship.  My current flight is scheduled to arrive 28 hours before the ship departs so even relatively lengthy delay would not affect me.  The flight would have to be canceled. I once waited 7 hours for a delayed flight at IAH before and it still took off eventually.  In my experience, there aren't too many completely canceled flights in June in Houston. It is not a typically severe weather month. Plus, there are four direct flights every day out of IAH to London Heathrow -- two United and two BA flights...and who knows how many indirect flights. If you throw Houston Hobby and London Gatwick into the mix, there are probably more. Plus, Austin Bergstrom and DFW both have direct flights to London, too, and there are dozens upon dozens of flights to those airports from Houston every day...or, worse case scenario, it is a three hour drive from Houston to either of those airports.  

 

My concern was more with just being stuck in some middle seat at the back of the plane (and have to listen to my husband belly ache about the seats and his hurting back) for a 9 hours overnight flight going and a 10+ hours flight coming back. But for the current difference in price, I will risk it.   

 

I even found business class with a layover at JFK (going) and O'Hare (coming back) for $2k a piece, but hubs shot that down because it would require him to take off two more days from work.  He is a physician who owns his own practice so any money we saved would be immediately eaten up in lost revenue from him not seeing patients those days.  Its one thing to do that for "vacation" but not to sit in an airport waiting for the next leg of your flight.  (Don't worry, he has two nurse practitioners who work for him so he isn't going off and abandoning his patients for 11 days.)  

 

 

 

 

You can pick seats, just not all seats on the plane are available.  example, rows 18 thru 33 are available but not 7 thru 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I disagree, while there restrictions (seats etc), and certainly exceptions, but we have found the BEST pricing (especially on longer trips) thru fly2fun.  We are TA’s and book air a lot for our customers.

I agree.  I have thoroughly been searching this trip.  I have pretty much been on every discount air site, travel site, and airline's site at least once and even had a couple of discount agents quote me prices. Carnival is $900 cheaper than what I have found anywhere else for a direct flight from Houston to Heathrow for two people.  Now, conceivably, it may go down over the next few months. If it does, I will cancel.  I booked Carnival's flexible fare so I have until 60 days out to cancel.  

 

And to be quite frank - I have had way better "luck" in the past with Carnival making things right with me than I have ever had with an airline.  Carnival has cancelled two of my cruises and both times refunded my money in full AND gave me really good FCC deals.  In one instance, the FCC amounted to over $6k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I disagree, while there restrictions (seats etc), and certainly exceptions, but we have found the BEST pricing (especially on longer trips) thru fly2fun.  We are TA’s and book air a lot for our customers.

Good to know, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am not worried about making the ship.  My current flight is scheduled to arrive 28 hours before the ship departs so even relatively lengthy delay would not affect me. 

We used Fly2Fun to fly to Athens, Greece to sail on the Vista a few years ago.  We scheduled our flight 2 days in advance of the cruise to do some sightseeing in Athens.  When we were within 15 minutes of the airport, we received a text that our flight was cancelled and rescheduled for two days later.  The air traffic controllers in Greece had announced a strike and all flights into Greece were cancelled.  The strike lasted only 10 minutes, but disrupted a lot of flights.  Carnival was able to reschedule us on a different carrier through Paris at no additional cost to us, and we arrived about 8 hours later than our original flight.

 

We will be on the same Norway cruise with you, but are also on the previous NYC to Dover TA cruise.  We are using  Fly2Fun from Chicago to NYC to catch the first leg and from London to Chicago to return from the second leg of the B2B.  The  Fly2Fun price was less than half the cost of anything we could book on our own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomCruise48 said:

We used Fly2Fun to fly to Athens, Greece to sail on the Vista a few years ago.  We scheduled our flight 2 days in advance of the cruise to do some sightseeing in Athens.  When we were within 15 minutes of the airport, we received a text that our flight was cancelled and rescheduled for two days later.  The air traffic controllers in Greece had announced a strike and all flights into Greece were cancelled.  The strike lasted only 10 minutes, but disrupted a lot of flights.  Carnival was able to reschedule us on a different carrier through Paris at no additional cost to us, and we arrived about 8 hours later than our original flight.

 

We will be on the same Norway cruise with you, but are also on the previous NYC to Dover TA cruise.  We are using  Fly2Fun from Chicago to NYC to catch the first leg and from London to Chicago to return from the second leg of the B2B.  The  Fly2Fun price was less than half the cost of anything we could book on our own.

Can't wait to meet you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I found premium economy for $1800 a piece and the cabin was fully open so got first row seats and two off to the side by ourselves.  

 

Plus, I can use my venture, sapphire and explorer points to potentially upgrade to business.  

Edited by Eli_6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, Eli_6 said:

So, I found premium economy for $1800 a piece and the cabin was fully open so got first row seats and two off to the side by ourselves.  

 

Plus, I can use my venture, sapphire and explorer points to potentially upgrade to business.  

If like my Amex Delta Reserve card, you cannot upgrade till tickets are issued.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disregard found the answer to my question  

Edited by zorky12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 5:28 PM, jimbo5544 said:

If like my Amex Delta Reserve card, you cannot upgrade till tickets are issued.  

On United, I have to go on a waitlist to upgrade with points.  Who gets picked depends on date of requesting upgrade, your status, and if you are already in premium economy or not. Right now, business is only about 25 percent booked.

 

I can also upgrade for $790 per person cash so if it starts looking like it is booking up, I may just pay cash.  

Edited by Eli_6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just booked Fly2Fun and my opinion is its great.It was the same if not cheaper than Expedia. You can pick your seats. Make changes if needed. Cancel if needed. And you do not have to pay fully until final payment is due. Plus you can use discounted gift cards so its actually going to be less than Expedia is. My cruise is Dec 2020 and I already paid for it, so I only need to pay a little bit for my flights and I am good to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, zorky12 said:

I just booked Fly2Fun and my opinion is its great.It was the same if not cheaper than Expedia. You can pick your seats. Make changes if needed. Cancel if needed. And you do not have to pay fully until final payment is due. Plus you can use discounted gift cards so its actually going to be less than Expedia is. My cruise is Dec 2020 and I already paid for it, so I only need to pay a little bit for my flights and I am good to go. 

Do you know if you are able to upgrade to a higher seat class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Do you know if you are able to upgrade to a higher seat class?

 

 

I was not but I did read that you must upgrade through the airline directly when i was looking into Fly2Fun

 

What are the benefits of booking Carnivals new Fly2Fun Air Program?
There are several benefits to booking Carnival's Fly2Fun Program. Our new air program allows you to select air options from major carries and flights departing from U.S., Canada, Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America and Europe. Carnival also provides Flight Protection in the event of flight disruptions, providing   reassurance that Carnival will make arrangements for guests to meet the ship at the next port of call. 

Where do I go to book air in Carnival.com?
Login into Manage My Account and select Fly2Fun from 'Shop by Category'. 

Do I need to pay my air booking immediately?
  • Guest who chose Flexible Fares can pay for their air at the time of cruise final payment and will not incur fees if changes (*) are made prior to 60 days of cruise departure. Within 60 days of cruise departure, a $200 change fee will be applied plus any additional air costs.  
  • For Restricted Fares, airline payment is required once the air reservation is made and tickets are non-refundable.
* Note: Flexible or Restricted Fares do not allow name changes, please make sure guests names are spelled correctly before booking air.
        
What is the latest flight arrival time and earliest flight departure time?
Flight times vary based on sailing itinerary. Fly2Fun takes sailing information into consideration during the booking process.
     
Do I need to purchase a seat for my infant?
Fly2Fun guests who are traveling with an infant under 2 years of age must purchase a ticket if he/she will be occupying a seat. An infant traveling on the guest's lap may be subject to taxes and fees imposed by the government and airline.
       
Do all guests have to book the same fare type?
No. Fare types are at a guest level. One guest can purchase Flexible Fares while the other can purchase Restricted Fares.
       
Does Carnival provide transportation from the airport to the port?
Yes, Carnival offers transportation service between the airport and the port on embarkation and debarkation days. Airport transportation can be purchased on our website or by calling your travel agent or 1-800-CARNIVAL.
       
Can I get one-way air transportation?
One-way air transportation is only provided for guests who live in the city where the ship departs or arrives such as our Journey sailings or one-way sailings.
       
When is the latest that I can purchase air?
Fly2Fun can be purchased until 4 days prior to sailing.
        
Can I fly in days before and or leave days after my cruise date?
Absolutely!  You get to choose the date before and after your cruise.
       
Can I select my own preferred airline?
Absolutely! You can select your preferred airline, travel dates, time and fare.
       
Can I book air for a back-to-back cruise?
Yes. We will gladly assist our guests with scheduling air on a back-to-back cruise. 
     
Can I reserve my seats or make special requests?
Seat assignments can be made for most airlines. For Jet Blue, Southwest, Airtran and Frontier, you will need to do this on their airline website or by calling them directly. Additional items that can be requested include Special Service Requests, Meals and Frequent Flyer options. Please note that although Carnival Cruise Line can pass requests for seat assignments, special meals and special assistance to the airlines, we cannot guarantee that all requests will be honored. For the best travel experience, we recommend that travel agents/guests contact the airline directly to confirm these requests.  
     
What if I want to purchase business or first class?
At this moment, only economy class is available to purchase via Carnival.com.  
   

   
Can guests decline the air protection coverage offered when purchasing Fly2Fun?
Air protection is automatically included with our air program. It cannot be declined. This is a great bonus that we offer our guests.
 
Post Booking Questions
 
Can I change from Restricted to Flexible and vice versa?
Our Flexible Fares allow you to make changes prior to 60 days of cruise departure without penalty.  Changes made 60 days or less from the cruise departure, changes from Flexible to Restricted will be subject to a $200 change fee plus additional airfare cost. Restricted Fares are non-refundable.  Therefore, switching from Restricted Fares to Flexible Fares would be subject to a full penalty.
       
Who should I contact if I need to change my flights?
You may call your travel agent or 1-800-321-6666 to change your flights.  However, change fees and additional air cost may apply.
       
Can I change my Fly2Fun flights after they have been booked?
Our Flexible Fares allow you to make changes prior to 60 days from cruise departure without penalty.  Changes made 60 days or less from cruise departure will be subject to a $200 change fee as well as any additional air cost. Restricted Fares are non-refundable.  Therefore, switching flights on Restricted Fares can only be done within the same day of reservation, without penalty.  If an unforeseen situation comes up after the initial day, airline change fees and additional air cost will apply.
 
If I have purchased Carnival Vacation Protection and have to cancel, will our air be covered?
For specifics on protection, please call 1-800-331-2796.
       
What if my flights are cancelled or delayed?
Our Fly2Fun Air Program provides Flight Protection in the event of airline flight cancellations or delays resulting from mechanicals or severe weather conditions.  Guests affected by these situations should contact our Travel Hotline at 1-877-885-4856 and our travel professional will ensure they meet their ship.  Air, hotel and ground transportation costs for guest to meet the ships will be at Carnival's expense.  
      
If I purchase Fly2Fun and missed my flights, would Carnival refund my air or re-accommodate us?
We will not refund air for guests who miss their flights.  Guests who are unable to meet the ship due to airline flight cancellations or delays resulting from mechanicals or severe weather conditions will be protected on other flights to meet the ship at no cost to the guests.   
 
Where can I see my flight schedule?
An air confirmation will be automatically sent to the e-mail address appearing in the cruise reservation system, which may be your travel agent's e-mail.  The flight schedule can also be retrieved via Carnival.com, Manage My Cruise.
             
How would I be notified of an airline itinerary change (i.e. time change, flight number, airport, etc.)?
We will automatically resend an air confirmation reflecting airline schedule changes to the email address on the booking.
       
Can I cancel my air without a penalty if I change my mind the same day of air confirmation?
Usually the airlines are willing to work with us if the cancellation happens the same day. Please contact your travel agent or 1-800-CARNIVAL to see if a penalty applies.
       
Will the air confirmation sent at the time of the booking indicate the air program selected (i.e Restricted or Flexible)?
Yes.  The confirmation will indicate Flexible fare or Restricted fare.  The confirmation for Flexible Fares and Restricted Fares will be sent when the air is booked or modified.  
      
If I have Vacation Protection Plan and I use the "cancel for any reason" is the air covered under the 75% Future Cruise Cancel?
Yes.  Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 75% of the value of the air cancellation fee applies to both Flexible Fares and Restricted Fares.
 
Will Flexible Fares and Restricted Fares include price protection?
We will not be offering air price protection. Only cruise price protection is offered.
 
If we have paid for Restricted Fares and then decide later to add a pre or post package, would we incur a penalty or just pay prevailing rates?
An administration fee will not be applied.  Only the charge for the airline change fees and the incremental air cost will apply.  
 
Will my flights automatically be loaded into the travel information section in Online Check-in?
Yes.  Your flights will be populated in Online Check-in.  You will not have to reenter them in the travel information section.
       
What is considered a name change? What is considered a name correction?
A name change is considered a new guest replacing an existing guest.  The original guest will be cancelled and the new guest will be added.  The new guest would need to shop for air at the prevailing rates.  
A name correction is considered to be the same guest with the incorrect spelling or wrong name, where the date of birth does not change.  Guests may incur fees from the airlines for the correction.
       
What if I want to upgrade to a different cabin class (first or business) once my ticket has been issued?
You can upgrade your ticket by contacting your airline directly and paying for the additional cost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...