POOL CHAIR HOGS A SOLUTION

waterjock

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

....NCL DOES have a "time allowance" - but my interpretation of that is for folks who ARE in the pool area but NOT in their seat....

The only 'interpretation' that is relevant on an NCL ship is NCLs'! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I disagree.  To me a chair hog is anyone who has their "stuff" on a chair in the pool area but THEY are not in the pool area (e.g. pool, pool bar, restroom, towel stand, hot tub.)  If YOU are not in the pool area, you don't have the right to a "reserved" chair in the pool area.

No. If someone has a chair but they go inside to get an ice cream cone or go to the bathroom, they need to give up their seat? That's not what a chair hog is. I am not giving up my seat for a 5-minute bathroom run.

Edited by KateQ22003
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

....For example, holding a lounge chair but sitting in the hot tub for 2 hours straight is technically hogging.  If you are going to be away from a lounger that long, you can park your stuff on a regular chair in the shade within your view vs. using a lounge chair in the sun that others could be enjoying.

It seems your definition of a chair hog changes as you post! Earlier in the thread you posted the following:

'To me a chair hog is anyone who has their "stuff" on a chair in the pool area but THEY are not in the pool area (e.g. pool, pool bar, restroom, towel stand, hot tub.)....'

Given that clear contradiction, if you are going to insist that your opinion is the correct one, you need to work out what your opinion actually is. 😉

• Like 1

I wish NCL had hooks around the back of the pool area for your bags/towels.  When we go to the pool it's to be in it or play on the waterslides.  We don't need a chair but it would be nice to have a spot to leave towels, sunscreen and such.  We never know where to leave our stuff.

• Like 3

Just now, sns1009 said:

I wish NCL had hooks around the back of the pool area for your bags/towels.  When we go to the pool it's to be in it or play on the waterslides.  We don't need a chair but it would be nice to have a spot to leave towels, sunscreen and such.  We never know where to leave our stuff.

They could be like the themeparks and add lockers.  Works for the extreme rides at Universal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

With an upcharge for your convenience.

At Universal, they are free for the first hour.  Normally enough time to ride the attraction and then pick up your stuff.  After that, they charge you by the hour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

No. If someone has a chair but they go inside to get an ice cream cone or go to the bathroom, they need to give up their seat? That's not what a chair hog is. I am not giving up my seat for a 5-minute bathroom run.

My mistake; the original poster did mention restroom visits. I still stand by my thought that if I want to run and get an ice cream or need to run back to my cabin to get my hat, I shouldn't have to give up my seat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hamrag said:

It seems your definition of a chair hog changes as you post! Earlier in the thread you posted the following:

'To me a chair hog is anyone who has their "stuff" on a chair in the pool area but THEY are not in the pool area (e.g. pool, pool bar, restroom, towel stand, hot tub.)....'

Given that clear contradiction, if you are going to insist that your opinion is the correct one, you need to work out what your opinion actually is. 😉

How ridiculous.  Sounds like you must be a chair hog trying to create an argument to distract from the ACTUAL point.  It's all about consideration and kindness for other human beings.  Some people have it, and some don't.  Anyone who reserves space at any time that they aren't using when they KNOW there are others who would benefit from and truly enjoy that space are chair hogs. But again, anyone with human consideration knows the definition and doesn't need someone on the internet to explain it them.

Edited by pcakes122

12 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Personally, I like the idea of charging for them.  Put a parking meter on each lounger that you have to feed quarters into.  Once your time expires, the lounger "pops" and any stuff left on it gets thrown off.

That is the very funny idea. I get a laugh thinking how funny that would look. But NCL wound not make money on your idea so they wont consider it.

🤣

Only thing worse than a chair hog is the chair hog police.   Sure it can be very inconsiderate but somebody moving somebody else’s books and towels and such is looking for much more trouble.  If it’s a problem then report it to the authorities but paws off touching my stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

Only thing worse than a chair hog is the chair hog police.   Sure it can be very inconsiderate but somebody moving somebody else’s books and towels and such is looking for much more trouble.  If it’s a problem then report it to the authorities but paws off touching my stuff. 

Said like a true Chog 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LaCal said:

Said like a true Chog 🤣

Actually I don’t even like being near the pool as I find it too loud. However the people that complain always seem to complain about something and have Absolutely no right to move other people’s belongings. Moving other people stuff is far worse than somebody throwing a towel over a chair.  Like I said a lot of people in this form just like to complain and they complain when they’re on the ship as well.  Relax, get a drink and enjoy life. If you want to be a police officer then apply for a police job But even they  cannot move peoples personal property.

• Like 3

I like the parking meter idea. Norwegian could attach a device with a digital countdown to the back of each lounge chair and have it glow red or green. Swipe your ship card to use the chair for something nominal like $1/hour. After your time expires and the light turns green NCL staff removes any towels/personal items and the chair becomes available for someone else.

Edited by cksv
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, cksv said:

I like the parking meter idea. Norwegian could attach a device with a digital countdown to the back of each lounge chair and have it glow red or green. Swipe your ship card to use the chair for something nominal like $1/hour. After your time expires and the light turns green NCL staff removes any towels/personal items and the chair becomes available for someone else.

That could actually make for great entertainment, watching the chogs make their hourly runs to re-swipe their cards and then leave! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fartlek said:

Actually I don’t even like being near the pool as I find it too loud. However the people that complain always seem to complain about something and have Absolutely no right to move other people’s belongings. Moving other people stuff is far worse than somebody throwing a towel over a chair.  Like I said a lot of people in this form just like to complain and they complain when they’re on the ship as well.  Relax, get a drink and enjoy life. If you want to be a police officer then apply for a police job But even they  cannot move peoples personal property.

Just as people have no right leaving their possessions on a lounger and not showing up for hours. That is the most selfish/entitled thing one can do on a cruise.

• Like 4

I look at it this way.

Is it YOUR CHAIR?

I mean do you have the receipt?

No.  So you're not losing a thing.

When you DO find a chair, consider yourself blessed and stop being so full of yourself that you think because there ARE chairs, you're somehow entitled to one if they run short.

You don't.

You're entitled to a stateroom, food, and whatever other reservations you paid for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Just as people have no right leaving their possessions on a lounger and not showing up for hours. That is the most selfish/entitled thing one can do on a cruise.

I don’t disagree that that is selfish/ entitled but removing someone stuff is absolutely not acceptable. Kind of like road rage - you might be mad at some terrible driving but you don’t have the right to take revenge. I understand people don’t like chair hogs  but the chair hog police that think the have the right to move other people’s property are in my opinion looking for trouble.  

• Like 2

I'm not for monetization of the chairs, but do think they need to enforce the rules they have.  It's tricky, but if the parking meter attendants in my town can figure out a way to watch my car and when time passes, so can a cruise line simply remove the towels/books/bags and put in storage. When they return, they go to the towel cabana and get their stuff.  Two hours is too long.  I think Carnival allows an hour unattended. 

I fully admit, when the deck is overcrowded and no chairs are to be had, I watch and note the time a chair has been vacant.  When time expires, I go to the pool attendant and explain that I watched, it's over time, and request they remove their items.  99% of the time they do.  If they don't, I remove them.  If they did it I smile nice when the person returns and explain that it's likely they took their items.  If I did it, I smile nicely and explain the rule.  Nobody ever challenges, though some are obviously not very happy with me. I don't care.  I'm pretty generous on time and it's not like the 61st minute. I give wiggle room, but an hour and a half is too long and I'm taking the chair. 

Side note - last cruise, after Carnival removed their stuff and I was seated - about an hour later the person returns and I explain that maybe Carnival took their stuff (acting ignorant of the actual event) and they should ask.  Dude says 'I was here like 30 minutes ago' and I did reply that was impossible because I've been sitting in the chair for over an hour.  Problem solved. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

I don’t disagree that that is selfish/ entitled but removing someone stuff is absolutely not acceptable. Kind of like road rage - you might be mad at some terrible driving but you don’t have the right to take revenge. I understand people don’t like chair hogs  but the chair hog police that think the have the right to move other people’s property are in my opinion looking for trouble.  

I wouldn't want to be the chairhog policeman that removes the belongings of the tough guy returning from the bar after his fifth Corona.

11 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

There are many social scientists that have named this the "ME generation".  They are not referring to a specific age group or specific groups of people, just the (unfortunately) general majority.  The ME generation is only focused on themselves and their own wants and needs, and has no care for how their actions impact their neighbors, friends, family, and the general public at large.  Good examples include those who cut lines everywhere, those who push up to the very end of a closed lane on a road while others wait in the line of traffic, and even chair hogs.  The reactions by those impacted by these type of actions are usually also guided by a ME impulse:  "I just waited in this traffic for 20 minutes and now he thinks he is going to cut in front of me????"  That is why people get angry at chair hogs, because it does impact their enjoyment.  Selfish acts breed selfish responses.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

There are many social scientists that have named this the "ME generation".  They are not referring to a specific age group or specific groups of people, just the (unfortunately) general majority.  The ME generation is only focused on themselves and their own wants and needs, and has no care for how their actions impact their neighbors, friends, family, and the general public at large.  Good examples include those who cut lines everywhere, those who push up to the very end of a closed lane on a road while others wait in the line of traffic, and even chair hogs.  The reactions by those impacted by these type of actions are usually also guided by a ME impulse:  "I just waited in this traffic for 20 minutes and now he thinks he is going to cut in front of me????"  That is why people get angry at chair hogs, because it does impact their enjoyment.  Selfish acts breed selfish responses.

I agree with you 100%.  The chairhog police that Actually remove the stuff are taking the “me generation” to the next level.  It just escalates.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Good examples include those who cut lines everywhere, those who push up to the very end of a closed lane on a road while others wait in the line of traffic, 

That's called the merge point. Everyone is supposed to use both lanes till the merge point and then every other vehicle. In fact on Interstate 81 in NY recently they had signs posted saying just that.

• Like 1