Cruise Critic Community
harry345

WiFi on celebrity summit

Hello! I will be sailing this starting on April 4, 2020, and I am wondering how well the WiFi will work on the WiFi plan. I have never been on a cruise before and therefore have no idea. How slow is the internet? Would I be able to watch videos or no? would I be able to call or would I only be able to text? How well would social media work? And also if I’m from the United States would I be able to use my phone as if I’m in the US when I’m in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas? Thank you for any answers I have no idea 😂

The internet worked fine when we were on the ship in July.  If you want to stream then you will need the unlimited wi-fi package.  Unlimited wi-fi will allow you to stream, text, email,  surf the web, post on social media and  make wi-fi calls.   Be sure to put your phone in airplane mode and enable wi-fi calling before hand.  

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

The internet worked fine when we were on the ship in July.  If you want to stream then you will need the unlimited wi-fi package.  Unlimited wi-fi will allow you to stream, text, email,  surf the web, post on social media and  make wi-fi calls.   Be sure to put your phone in airplane mode and enable wi-fi calling before hand.  

Yes to all of this!  Make sure your devices are in airplane mode and then turn on the Wi-Fi.  We learned this the hard way a few years ago!  

Your speed will depend on where you are sailing and which package you buy from X.

We were in the Caribbean in October and had great internet but when we were in Iceland in June, it was horrid. Not worth logging on. It's all about satellite positioning. So the closer your cruise is to the equator, the better you will do. 

X has two packages you can buy. One is for streaming and one for e-mail and simple web surfing. Guess which one costs more?😃 

As to using your phone in ports, the best advice I can give you is check with your cell carrier. Each one has different rules. For instance, we have T-Mobile and we have free data and 25¢ a minute phone calls in all but six countries in the world (and those are places we would never go like Yemen) so we never worry about it. We used to have AT&T and they would charge us for every country or require that we buy their international plan for a limited amount of bandwidth. 

Both previous posters are correct. When on the ship, put your phone on airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on (if you have a package). 

Jim

I can’t speak for the WiFi because we are going on our first Celebrity cruise in February on the Summit doing S. Caribbean. I suggest checking with your carrier about coverage areas to be sure. We got the WIFi as a perk. We have Verizon as our carrier and Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are included in coverage. They have a Travel Pass for $10 per day per device so signed up on one phone in case we need it since we will be on either excursions or on our own. Now Verizon will always recognize if I am in another country and they only charge the $10 if you use it. Other carriers must have something similar.

4 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Your speed will depend on where you are sailing and which package you buy from X.

We were in the Caribbean in October and had great internet but when we were in Iceland in June, it was horrid. Not worth logging on. It's all about satellite positioning. So the closer your cruise is to the equator, the better you will do. 

X has two packages you can buy. One is for streaming and one for e-mail and simple web surfing. Guess which one costs more?😃 

As to using your phone in ports, the best advice I can give you is check with your cell carrier. Each one has different rules. For instance, we have T-Mobile and we have free data and 25¢ a minute phone calls in all but six countries in the world (and those are places we would never go like Yemen) so we never worry about it. We used to have AT&T and they would charge us for every country or require that we buy their international plan for a limited amount of bandwidth. 

Both previous posters are correct. When on the ship, put your phone on airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on (if you have a package). 

Jim

That's great information - I wasn't aware of the issue with satellite positioning. Thanks very much

4 hours ago, njsweetie said:

I can’t speak for the WiFi because we are going on our first Celebrity cruise in February on the Summit doing S. Caribbean. I suggest checking with your carrier about coverage areas to be sure. We got the WIFi as a perk. We have Verizon as our carrier and Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are included in coverage. They have a Travel Pass for $10 per day per device so signed up on one phone in case we need it since we will be on either excursions or on our own. Now Verizon will always recognize if I am in another country and they only charge the $10 if you use it. Other carriers must have something similar.

This will be fine in port.  But be sure to check with your carrier if it will cover the Cellular at Sea provider which operates the cellular network onboard. 

I found the wifi onboard to be fine for text and wifi calling.   Last May we were selling a house and between the time we left Bayonne and arrived in Bermuda we got word of an offer, did negotiation and executed a purchase contract.  We had multiple texts and wifi calls with our real estate agent over a couple of days at sea.