Suggestions for stateroom attendant extra tipping?

BillHana

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

While it is a nice gesture above and beyond cash, there are so many individual tastes, dietary restrictions or allergies that I would worry that having gone to the effort to pack it all the way onto a cruise ship it would just be disposed of by the recipient. 

Also great feedback. Thank you.

Is it just me who is constantly astounded at Americans who take such pride in their tipping generosity?  I have always been appalled at the “tip em first day and get better service attitude “

We have cruised for 35 years, have lost count of how many but certainly in excess of 55. We have always paid the recommended amount. We have had great service and mediocre service, but always paid the tips. 

I expect to be shot down, but I find the American “tip em extra “ attitude as patronising to staff. This constant theme, “ we asked for ice etc” so tipped extra is ridiculous. I have pre paid tips, so I should be able to ask for ice ( I remember when it was delivered without asking)

• Like 5

Extra tipping is traditionally done on the last night.  If you feel your cabin attendant went "above and beyond", by all means leave them something extra.  You can do it in person, or leave an envelope with their name on your dresser when you go to dinner...they will get it when they do "turn down" service.

Another way to show your appreciation is to keep your tips in place and tell the room steward you don't need your room cleaned for a day or two or more.  Imagine if even 10% of the staterooms under his/her responsibility didn't need to be attended to at some point during the cruise.  Same pay for less work will mathematically increase the amount received per stateroom.

19 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Another way to show your appreciation is to keep your tips in place and tell the room steward you don't need your room cleaned for a day or two or more.  Imagine if even 10% of the staterooms under his/her responsibility didn't need to be attended to at some point during the cruise.  Same pay for less work will mathematically increase the amount received per stateroom.

I imagine they'd be both shocked and terrified if you did that, kind of like how MDR waiters freak out if you don't finish (or worse yet, don't order) a course.

9 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I was once told by an attendant that if you used the envelopes, they’d have to share with everyone so I never use them.

That makes no sense... So you are saying if you hand the RA an envelope they have to turn it in, but you give them cash they can keep it. 

If that is the case, why couldn't they just take the envelope, walk away, open the envelope, take out the cash and throw away the envelope.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scottie99 said:

Is it just me who is constantly astounded at Americans who take such pride in their tipping generosity?  I have always been appalled at the “tip em first day and get better service attitude “

We have cruised for 35 years, have lost count of how many but certainly in excess of 55. We have always paid the recommended amount. We have had great service and mediocre service, but always paid the tips. 

I expect to be shot down, but I find the American “tip em extra “ attitude as patronising to staff. This constant theme, “ we asked for ice etc” so tipped extra is ridiculous. I have pre paid tips, so I should be able to ask for ice ( I remember when it was delivered without asking)

It's a totally different cultural perspective.  I lived in Scotland for 6 years so understand your perspective; pay structure is such that tips are actually something extra, not the primary source of income.  But I, and my son, have worked in jobs where the primary source of income was from tips and NEVER felt patronized when receiving a good tip.  So yes, I tip generously when I feel it's deserved.  If service was mediocre then I leave the minimum tip.  Right or wrong, tipping is a fact of life in America and will continue to be so until the service industry pay structure is fundamentally changed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sellwingri said:

On the last full day, I’ll make a point to seek out our attendant and hand them $20 or $30 in cash, usually in our room, and thank them for their service.  I was once told by an attendant that if you used the envelopes, they’d have to share with everyone so I never use them.

That’s what we do too. If work was efficient 

"We have always paid the recommended amount. We have had great service and mediocre service, but always paid the tips..."

IMO, the auto grats/recommended amount that everyone pays, whether they receive excellent or mediocre service, is no longer a tip/gratuity, but a tax, fee, or service charge.

If 23 Million cruisers a year continues to reward mediocre service with their recommended tips amount, year after year, do you think the cruise lines has an incentive to provide better/superior service in the future...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

It depends... Maybe they want to make more, not just to receive  same amount by not working. (Tipping of course is discretionary)

5 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

"We have always paid the recommended amount. We have had great service and mediocre service, but always paid the tips..."

IMO, the auto grats/recommended amount that everyone pays, whether they receive excellent or mediocre service, is no longer a tip/gratuity, but a tax, fee, or service charge.

If 23 Million cruisers a year continues to reward mediocre service with their recommended tips amount, year after year, do you think the cruise lines has an incentive to provide better/superior service in the future...?

We cruise 5-6 times a year for last 5 years and very rarely we have mediocre service. 
Our autogratuities are really their salary structured in a different way and not included into cruise fare due to tax purposes. I kind of want it to be included sometimes, but I’m not business owner.

Since RC went to the auto grats we have always left them in place and tipped the steward $60.  My wife is terrified anyone might think she is cheap.  $8.57 a day on top of whatever their auto grat cut is seems a bit extreme considering we never tip housekeeping that much at a hotel.  Every steward has been pleasant and accommodating but we have never required or received anything over the top. 

On a related note our next cruise is in a Crown Loft Suite on Allure.  It is my understanding those cabins have 2 stewards.  Do they share the work equally?  I know it is a much bigger space but with just 2 of us is it really that much more work?  Thinking $80 for both ($40 each).  Does that seem appropriate assuming the service is adequate?

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

We do this almost every cruise. We try to find out if/when they are planning to go ashore and tell them to ignore our cabin on one of their shore days. We put out the Do Not Disturb sign for the day so they don’t get in trouble for skipping our cabin. Every cabin steward has been surprised and happy when we did this. We are not messy and low maintenance so skipping one day doesn’t impact our cruise at all. We also tip extra at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

American here.  I realize things are different in other countries, scottie99's response brought to mind our recent experience on Harmony. 

On boarding day, we asked our room steward for a few more things than usual.  She was very kind and very accommodating.  Even when I said she could get to it whenever she had time, she came back with "I will take care of this for you right now".   We knew she was busy and really appreciated her attention, so we offered sincere thanks and gave her a small tip.  She seemed very surprised and thanked us.  Another day I asked her a question, she didn't know the answer but got right on her phone and called 3 people until she had an answer for me.  It really wasn't a big deal, but she was persistent on our behalf.  Then near the end of the week, she was concerned for and paid special attention to my husband who had a minor medical situation.   My husband was especially moved and sought her out the next day.  Again, she was surprised and appreciative.  Maybe it was an act, who can say.  But I don't think so.  Her expressed appreciation of our appreciation seemed very genuine.  Not sharing to toot my own horn, don't need affirmation over how much or who I tip.  And we certainly don't toss money at people with a condescending attitude.  But as someone already said, nothing says it (whether it be thank you or otherwise) like cash -- it's something everyone can use.  I really don't think they feel patronized when someone tips them extra.  Truth is, they're there to earn money, not because they love to travel.

Her name was Nancy, and she was probably the best steward we've ever had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Of course they do.  It's called competition.  If one cruise line consistently provides crap service, people will go elsewhere.  It's a very competitive market.  The only consolation I find in the fact that you remove the pre-paid gratuities upfront (whether you pay them later or not) is that you waste time out of a great vacation to stand in line to tell a hard working person that the nominal expense above and beyond your cruise fare isn't appropriate for another hard working person.  Good on you, pal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bookster99 said:

My wife and I have discussed bringing a small gift along on the cruise as a small added incentive above and beyond the tips. Good chocolate or something like that. What are your thoughts?

Don't. What if you purchase a chocolate brand they don't like. Have an allergy to. They prefer marshmallows. 

Give them space-saving cash and let them buy their own chocolate.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bradison said:

On a related note our next cruise is in a Crown Loft Suite on Allure.  It is my understanding those cabins have 2 stewards.  Do they share the work equally?  I know it is a much bigger space but with just 2 of us is it really that much more work?  Thinking $80 for both ($40 each).  Does that seem appropriate assuming the service is adequate?

Yes they have two stewards, sometimes you see both and other times you see one. If we leave a tip tip hooray envelope at the end we leave one for each. The amount you listed is appropriate in my opinion.  

14 hours ago, scottie99 said:

I think the automatic gratuities are a bane upon the industry and the costs should be rolled into the overall cruise fare.  However that's another topic.  My experience with extra tipping has been that this makes the difference between good service, and excellent service.   But it's not a given, its earned.  The auto-gratuities are a given, you get those.  Anything else is earned on an individual basis. 

Another quick tip is use two dollar bills.  The crew doesn't see many of them so they are a bit of a novelty and helps them remember you throughout the week. 

14 hours ago, scottie99 said:

I have always been appalled at the “tip em first day and get better service attitude “

I have pre paid tips, so I should be able to ask for ice ( I remember when it was delivered without asking)

Pot meet kettle 

and as defined  TIP - A gift or a sum of money tendered for a service performed or anticipated :

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, WI-Cruiser said:

It's a totally different cultural perspective.  I lived in Scotland for 6 years so understand your perspective; pay structure is such that tips are actually something extra, not the primary source of income.  But I, and my son, have worked in jobs where the primary source of income was from tips and NEVER felt patronized when receiving a good tip.  So yes, I tip generously when I feel it's deserved.  If service was mediocre then I leave the minimum tip.  

So true, I was a waitress a few times in college and I am a huge tipper.  If I can't give extra money to people who work their fannies off, then I should not be traveling!  That is MY opinion and those that don't agree,  have a right to their opinions.

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, scottie99 said:

It's not patronizing to staff. It is a normal way of life for us. For many people in the US, their first job is often one that works for tips like being a server at a restaurant, so there is an understanding of how hard they work for very little pay. I see nothing wrong with tipping extra if someone feels the service warrants it. I personally don't feel the need to tip more in the beginning because I know they are going to provide great service regardless, but we have given extra at the end to one of our waiters who always went above and beyond for us.