Low ratings on Costa Luminosa

DerryPete

52 minutes ago, jakob71 said:

I think a lot depends on your attitude. Some people read some negative reviews and say I wish I had cancelled etc etc.

Costa is an Italian line and it is different from the mass market American lines.

The main gripe is about water drinks etc.

Solution, don't book the basic no frills package because it is cheap. Get the Classic or premium rate that includes unlimited drinks.  Problem solved.

I have sailed on most lines also and love Costa because it is different. Like a breath of fresh air.

I have my 4th long cruise in March and another one booked for April 2021.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Edited by maryann2
  • Like 1

That's a nice positive attitude.

I guess you booked the Costa Diadema Cruise from Dubai to Savona in march 2020.

How was your Fortuna Cruise from Singapore to Savona?

which Costa Cruise did you book in April 2021

I continue to see low (1 star reviews) on the Luminosa…..

Yes, I wish I had checked the reviews, but expected a Cruise line under the Carnival Corp. would have similar reviews to the other ships under the Carnival umbrella...

I just wish they (Costa)  would look at these reviews or have the Cruise Critic folks forward these reviews to the Carnival Corp. management.  

3 minutes ago, DerryPete said:

I continue to see low (1 star reviews) on the Luminosa…..

Yes, I wish I had checked the reviews, but expected a Cruise line under the Carnival Corp. would have similar reviews to the other ships under the Carnival umbrella...

I just wish they (Costa)  would look at these reviews or have the Cruise Critic folks forward these reviews to the Carnival Corp. management.  

Why should Costa look at these reviews or CC forward them, these reviews are just a very very tiny fraction of the two million passengers that Costa carries each year. Costa must be doing something right with so few negavtive comments, so why should Costa change just because of a few negative reviews, the vast majority of their passengers enjoy the product as it is.

From your ongoing comments I see you have already made up your mind about the future Costa cruise. Cancel and go with an American cruise line.

Maybe Costa should carry a health, safety and risk  notice:

Notice

Costa Cruises is a well run chaotic I T A L I A N cruise Line.

Ice is only used for medicinal purposes, i.e. Campari n Orange or Vodka N Lemon, not in tea.

Enter at your own risk

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hi Ron you forgot to say there are lots of Italians on board Costa's ships.

Fancy that who would have guessed.

With the up-grades drinks packages included, free luggage collection & return, OBC. I expect them to pay us to go next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Ron you forgot to say there are lots of Italians on board Costa's ships.
Yes it's full of Italians and other Europeans.

On our last Costa Cruise only 2% were native English speakers.Though all the Germans and most of the others understand English and speak a little.

Of the 40 native English speakers out of 2000 passengers, only 15 attended the welcome party hosted by the English host

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, DerryPete said:

Well, it is too late for me NOT to go, as I have paid for an up & coming cruise on the Luminosa. I have a total of 17 cruises, which include Several Carnival ships, plus several RCCL ships, one Celebrity and one HAL ship, so I assumed the Costa would have decent reviews... Oh well; I will post a fair review when I return..

How would you compare Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and HAL

44 minutes ago, DerryPete said:

RCCL, HAL & Carnival would be between 4 & 5 stars

Norwegian would be 3  to 4

Celebrity almost a 5..

Then Costa would be between two to three stars for you.

You better heed GMTs advice and cancel

I sailed on the Luminosa in 2018 and loved it. Yes the British were in a minority but all the staff spoke English and knew what drinks we drank. The cabins were spacious and kept spotlessly clean and tidy. The food was excellent and as a coeliac my gluten free diet catered for exceptionally well, even the head waiter came and checked half way through the cruise that I was being looked after well. I am cruising with Costa again in June on the Pacifica and looking forward to it. I can’t wait!

• 1 month later...

Wow, am I glad that we decided NOT to go on the Costa Luminosa's transatlantic crossing leaving Florida on March 5th.

Based on the news, this cruise has become another Diamond Princess cruise!!!

I am actively trying to get my money back...

This may be even worse tha the Diamond Princess, hundreds of people were landed in Atlanta, they were evacuated with COVID 19 victims among them with no precautions. Carnival Corp. did everyhting wrong from the start of the cruise to now. They were all dispersed and sent home with no testing or qurrantine!  Menawhile more passengers and crew are stuck on the ship, undoubtedly many ill with COVID 19.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/us/coronavirus-cruise-ship-costa-luminosa.html

On 3/19/2020 at 11:03 AM, DerryPete said:

Wow, am I glad that we decided NOT to go on the Costa Luminosa's transatlantic crossing leaving Florida on March 5th.

You dodged the bullet.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:03 AM, DerryPete said:

Hmmm.. doesn't sound good. Looks like I can cross Costa off my list.

Costa

Edited by ano

On 3/21/2020 at 3:59 AM, ano said:

Hmmm.. doesn't sound good. Looks like I can cross Costa off my list.

Costa

That was about the Costa Lumiosa.  But have you also read about the Costa Pacifica?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/coronavirus-cruise-ship-brits-held-prisoner-italy-a4393436.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8137957/British-pensioners-trapped-cruise-ship-plead-Government-send-Royal-Navy-rescue-them.html

Edited by Cahpek

• 5 months later...

You guys may want to see what happened on the Costa Luminosa on YouTube : https://youtu.be/NaBULYgJl2A

(Still no luck getting our refund, Costa offered a cruise credit, but they have no future cruises from any USA port.)

• 2 months later...

Just to close this topic for now; I finally got a full refund, 3 months after asking for it via their special web site.

(Overall, I still would have preferred to actually go on the cruise, due to the ports on call, many of which I had never been and may never see due my age.... I really hate what the pandemic has done to the cruise industry...)   : - (

On 11/9/2020 at 11:13 PM, DerryPete said:

Just to close this topic for now; I finally got a full refund, 3 months after asking for it via their special web site.

(Overall, I still would have preferred to actually go on the cruise, due to the ports on call, many of which I had never been and may never see due my age.... I really hate what the pandemic has done to the cruise industry...)   : - (

I also got a full refund for one cancelled Cruise in just 30 days, while the other cancelled Cruise I shifted to future Cruise in late 2021.

They gifted me 200 pounds OBC.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, DerryPete said:

Well, it is too late for me NOT to go, as I have paid for an up & coming cruise on the Luminosa. I have a total of 17 cruises, which include Several Carnival ships, plus several RCCL ships, one Celebrity and one HAL ship, so I assumed the Costa would have decent reviews... Oh well; I will post a fair review when I return..

I am from Germany but live in the Caribbean for over 40 years, so very American influenced. I have been on lot's of different cruise ships, some smaller one's in Europe I don't even remember the company names any longer, several Holland American, P & O, Costa and Princess. Price wise Princess is probably more expensive. I did like the coin laundries on Princess and P & O, but my favorite is Costa. I remember the first cruise we were on on Costa in 2010 we had one cabin for 3 persons and it was really spacious. Now we travel in single cabins because of the privacy. I was surprised reading people complaining about only Italian being spoken, never noticed that. English is spoken all throughout and we always had English Speaking dinner companions. Will be on the world cruise in January 2022 and will see whether the entertainment there will be mainly Italian. We always had to buy bottled water for the cabin even on European River cruises. I have been managing a hotel here for 35 years and what I noticed, people who love the place don't usually leave any comments only the one's who had expected more or didn't get anything for free they thought they were entitled to will leave reviews to get even. For example we are on a Surfing Beach but we are not an all-inclusive resort and don't charge Resort-fee's so having to pay to rent surf boards was a reason for a bad review. So look forward to your cruise and enjoy it. I am sure you will have a great time.

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2020 at 12:08 PM, G.M.T. said:

Why should Costa look at these reviews or CC forward them, these reviews are just a very very tiny fraction of the two million passengers that Costa carries each year. Costa must be doing something right with so few negavtive comments, so why should Costa change just because of a few negative reviews, the vast majority of their passengers enjoy the product as it is.

From your ongoing comments I see you have already made up your mind about the future Costa cruise. Cancel and go with an American cruise line.

Maybe Costa should carry a health, safety and risk  notice:

Notice

Costa Cruises is a well run chaotic I T A L I A N cruise Line.

Ice is only used for medicinal purposes, i.e. Campari n Orange or Vodka N Lemon, not in tea.

Enter at your own risk

lol - European's do not use ice in their drinks like American's. For most European's if you put a lot of ice in their drink you are just watering it down. So if you need to have your drink watered down, ask for the ice. 🙂 🙂 🙂

On 1/23/2020 at 11:13 PM, drsel said:

But Carnival and Holland America are completely opposite when it comes to entertainment and activities.
Carnival is the ultimate party Cruise, while Holland America is quiet, sedate and dignified; with hardly any activities or things to do

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

Sorry, but that is not correct.

Nowadays, HAL’s new vessels offers better entertainment, especially in terms of music, than Celebrity for example. 

12 hours ago, Despegue said:

Sorry, but that is not correct.

Nowadays, HAL’s new vessels offers better entertainment, especially in terms of music, than Celebrity for example. 

Yes, but the new HAL ships are much more expensive.

I was comparing the lower priced older HAL ships with Carnival.

At the same price range as Carnival,  you will only get older HAL ships