Help with disabled relative who probably shouldn’t cruise but is insisting.

Petoonya

9 hours ago, texasgirl29 said:

My experience with a disabled relative: My BIL had Downs Syndrome and lived his whole life with his parents; they are now approaching 80. They like to cruise a couple of times a year and almost always take him with them. He enjoyed the food, taking photos with the crew, swimming, taking more photos on excursions. About two years ago, that changed as he developed Alzheimer's when he was about 50. His entire personality changed, he didn't want to eat or was fed like a baby, he had strokes, was incontinent. He became angry. Yet his parents insisted he wanted to go on a cruise around the British Isles. He couldn't or wouldn't walk and they brought a wheel chair for him. (MIL had recently had hip replacement and was using a walker as well.) He had an episode on the overnight trip to Paris, vomiting all the way back to Le Havre (we were stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours to boot). He had diarrhea and the cabin (next to ours) smelled to high heaven. Although we had paid for all excursions prior to the trip, either his mother or father stayed with him most of the time, losing two fares in each port. He spent a couple of days in the ship's infirmary. I don't believe he enjoyed the trip one bit and it was no picnic for the rest of us. 

So, to the OP, I sympathize with your plight. 

Thank you for sharing this.  It's easy to judge others when you're not in their shoes.