Allstate Drive wise rewards Royal Caribbean Gift Certificates

kpatcamp

Here is a review of my experience getting RCI Gift Certificates through Allstate rewards .  

We purchased 4 Gift Certificates from Allstate rewards to put towards our cruise.  We had already booked a cruise and paid the full amount because it was less than 90 days out.  After calling both Allstate rewards and RC we were told that when the Gift Certificates were accepted by RC then we would receive a refund for what we had already paid.  This made us nervous because we had basically paid for the cruise twice!  But the RC customer service assured us it would work.

It took about a week to receive the Gift Certificates from Allstate.  The instructions say to send an email to the specified email address along with copies of the certificates (I scanned the certificates).  I did all this and received an email within 24 hours letting me know that the redemption department had received my email.  Then about a week later I received another email stating that the GCs had been accepted and I would receive a refund onto my credit card within 4-7 business days.  I received the refund just as they had said.  Keep in mind, all of this happened during the holidays so it might have gone faster during a normal time of the year. 

In all we saved 10% for this small hassle. I am very happy with the outcome and would definetly purchase the GC again.  

Note: The Gift Certificates are only good for the price of the cruise NOT taxes, gratuities, and other fees.  You also cannot use them for onboard credit, excursions, drink packages, etc. 

Hope this helps someone else save some $$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is our first RCCL cruise and I was a little disappointed in how they handle their gift cards from Drivewise compared to Carnival.  Carnival allows e-cards which are delivered within minutes of purchasing them which can then be immediately applied to any purchase from Carnival and even taken onboard and used as OBC.  RCCL sends you a paper copy which takes several days that you then have to fill out, scan and send back to them which takes time (and manpower) for them to process.  Last carnival cruise I paid for EVERYTHING with those gift cards from the cruise fare to the drinks packages to our OBC.   Disappointed you cannot do the same with RCCL. 

This is useful. We used to get gift cards through AARP, but they have ruined that program. They still have Carnival available, but not Royal Caribbean. For the original poster: Was your booking through a travel agent or direct? We are using a travel agent for our next cruise, and I am used to dealing direct so I am still unsure what's done through the agent and what's done direct.

1 hour ago, Tulsacoker said:

Not sure if you are supposed to start a thread where you are happy with dealing with Royal Caribbean. 

I agree this is a travesty.  Only Karens are allowed in here 😉

On the other hand.....glad to hear it all worked out and the OP saved some money.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bookster99 said:

This is useful. We used to get gift cards through AARP, but they have ruined that program. They still have Carnival available, but not Royal Caribbean. For the original poster: Was your booking through a travel agent or direct? We are using a travel agent for our next cruise, and I am used to dealing direct so I am still unsure what's done through the agent and what's done direct.

We booked directly through RC.   

I would advise you to read the fine print terms and conditions on Allstate's reward site.  There are many hoops to jump through and make them much more of a hassle redeeming these certificates compared to the gift cards for Carnival or Princess that can be utilized to cover all of your expenditures.

Edited by SNJCruisers

• 2 years later...

I noticed Allstate and AARP have RCL eGift cards now, however, the fine print still states that it can only be used toward the cruise far purchase only from RCL with the same old hoops you had to go through for the paper gift certificates. You CANNOT use them for travel agent booking or for online purchases such as drink package or shore excursions, as stated in the fine print. 

31 minutes ago, robtx100 said:

So is it better to start a new thread on a subject that has already been started, or resurrect the thread that already has comments on the subject matter? 

Folks will do whatever. 

Biker, who almost never starts a new thread.